1968 Mustang body on Howe road race chassis

Tinman

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job so far, it's really giving off that '60's trans am vibe with the body mocked up on it.

Curious how you are going to make it wider? Cut the fenders and do a box flare or outside shaped flares?

Also, since the body is not structural, what about hinging it at the rear like an old funny car and having it lift up?

I'll have to describe the widening process in pictures when I get to that point. But for now, think of or google image search "IMSA GTO".

The greenhouse will remain as is but the fenders and doors will be pushed out and fender flares made. I need around 6 1/2" per side. I'm currently debating how much will come from the sides of the body being pushed out and how much will come from the flares.

I hope to have the quarters and roof mounted to the chassis over this long weekend. Next step will be a removable front end, after that, the widening process can begin.

• 4 weeks later...

Some minor progress, much less than I was hoping for.

Aftermarket body panels and I just don't get along. I like to measure in thousandths of an inch while the producers of these panels seem to like to measure in kilometers as seen from a satellite miles above earth's surface. Working for just a few minutes to get the panels true, straight, and square ends up in frustration, beer drinking, and blank stares. Next thing I know, it's a month later and I'm no where near where I would like to be.

So, as of now, here is where the project stands.

Rear quarters, tail panel, and roof panel mounted to the chassis.

vsUH3Ze.jpg?1

Removable front clip taking shape.

4MEtWHl.jpg?1

• 3 months later...
updates?

I've been slacking big time on this project and to put it even further behind, I've started to make some new mufflers for the Z06. Once they are done I plan to make some more progress on the Mustang.

As of now it sits like this,

jL3Vlx2.jpg?1

Front clip is mounted and the windshield frame/cowl panel are tacked to the roof.

Not that it has anything to do with this thread but where'd all your tools go? Last time I was there all the workbench/tools were on the side of the door. Did you put a wall in the middle of the garage and move everything to the other side?

Not that it has anything to do with this thread but where'd all your tools go? Last time I was there all the workbench/tools were on the side of the door. Did you put a wall in the middle of the garage and move everything to the other side?

I rearranged the garage a little while back. Workbench is now on the back wall and the toolbox is in front of the lift.

Understand life happens , fully feel like this will be one of the most badass rides CR has been apart of

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Okay, full steam ahead on this project now... after vacation next week.

I'm nearly finished fabricating the mounting points from the beltline up. Once they are complete, it's time to cut the skin up and make it 6" wider.

AY7oZj8.jpg?1

4kon6Ov.jpg?1

7e7Idb6.jpg?1

W3RKiXD.jpg?1

jRYK2fe.jpg?1

In order to both document this project a little better and keep me more motivated, I'm going to start a build series on youtube. If all goes well, next update will be in video form.

Man how do you know exactly where to weld everything? Do you print out some blueprint thing first or is it all just eyeballing experience?

Very extensive trial and error. This is one area the beer consumption really helps. Step back to take a drink and damn, see that it's not quite right yet.