1968 Mustang body on Howe road race chassis

Tinman

Finally getting started on this project. A while back I asked the CR collective for some help in choosing a body for my Howe chassis, http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127749 There were numerous great suggestions and thanks again for the help. I ended up with a 68 Mustang coupe. An abandoned father son project with zero appeal to most as it is a rusty 6 cylinder coupe. To me though, it is near perfect. It has a vin tag, clear title, and plenty of new sheet metal.

This weekend was straight demolition,

DpM4u0C.jpg?1

Zw1hz0S.jpg?1

CP0fle3.jpg?1

63c4P42.jpg?1

I hope to do the first test fit to the chassis one evening this week.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone.

Do you host guys at your shop to watch/make comments/drink beer while you work? Or is it a distraction to your genius?

Bad ass! I second Clay's post too.

Sure, but if beers are being consumed, I will be one of the consumers. Said beer is likely to enhance my bad decision making leading to more fabrication. Come to think of it, I think beers were responsible for the start of this project

If you want some magazine coverage let me know, our road racing title would be all over this

That would be excellent. This is going to be a long project though. If there is still interest when I finally turn the tires, yes please.

The inner halves of the rockers had to be removed to clear the square tube outer frame rails of the chassis. And the center of the rockers had to go to slide over the door bars. I threw together a crude assembly of angle iron and square tube to keep what is left of the shell in shape.

XKeeqzk.jpg?1

Please excuse the horrible hack job in cutting this thing apart. It is essentially a just a jig to hold the new outer sheet metal panels in place and will be scrapped along with the rest of the car once done.

I'm going to light some scented candles, put on some romantic music, and see if I can get these two to mate.

Bq57sTg.jpg?1

First test fit, 24" away from touchdown before some major interference.

gxNM5Pk.jpg?1

Hacked out the stubs from the rear frame rails, some of the rear parcel tray, and two chunks of the rear quarters and related supporting sheet metal.

ec8Qz8O.jpg?1

Second test fit. Damn, still 14" from setting the rockers at framerail height.

iEEDOLB.jpg?1

Just some minor trimming needed where the floor/firewall meets the rockers and she should finally go all the way down. I cut a short length of 1/4" round rod to the length the body still needs to come down and did a spot check on all the points of contact from the roof and rollcage and it revealed that the rollcage will fit the greenhouse even better than I first thought.

Going to need some serious fender flares. I have a few good and a couple crazy ideas on how to make this happen.

iMGqJDo.jpg?1