Tell Me Why I'm Crazy

Zx2guy19

I'm not sure what your liquid nest egg looks like, but if you can and will live on the rental income like you say, wouldn't it be smart to do just that? Stick with your 2019 plan and bank every penny you make from your corporate gig over the next yearish. Also spend that time getting any other ducks in a row that'll make life easier.

It's amazing what an end goal/no fucks given attitude can do for everyday morale.

I'm all for doing what you love, and getting out. I made a big career change at 34 that I enjoy and make more money at, but I just dabble in real estate on the side.

Your happiness has to come from within my dude.

True inner peace is when your mind, body, and actions are all in perfect harmony. You are NOT crazy and I can prove it...

Three years ago I was working my first job out of college working in a corporate building for McGraw Hill and GOD was I miserable. People would give you fake smiles and go about their daily business, fucking you over at every chance they got. Bosses would treat you like you were expendable and not worth anything. All that, combine with the consistent unrealistic expectation of "get it done, or i'll hire someone else who can do it" were really weighting thin on me. I wanted to quit for so long, but I did not know where to go internally. My anger grew more and more each day dealing with people who could care less about me and I was dreading going to work each day.

I finally had enough and knew I wanted to quit my job. I gave my two weeks notice and my dipshit boss demanded that I leave the building that same day and never come back. The day I walked out of that corporate shit-hole was like a 1,000,000 pound weight was lifted off my shoulders. I decided to dig into the I.T. field and within a week I was working at a High School in their Tech department. My B.A. is in Art Education, so working with kids was part of my background. I love education and technology and the day I did both for a living felt like the first day of a great professional career for me. I currently love my job and there is not a day that goes by that I regret quitting the corporate world. I love what I do and I am actually excited each day to go into work. I have no boss to hassle me, no micro management, and I can do things however the hell I want and not a single person gives a damn so long as the work gets done.

My point is... Do something you love for a living, and you will never work a day in your life. Do I make $100K? Fuck no! But I could not be any happier each day doing what I do.

Unless money matters to you, there is no point in being miserable each day. Wake up each day excited to go to work, so get out there and find something that makes you smile each day :)

Portfolio lending?! What is this magical lending unicorn you speak of? Please tell me more about what a broker/mortgage bank can do with their stellar NOO products/rates/costs?!

The OP is well versed in portfolio lending and has taken advantage of it more than once...

-Marc

We (Nations Lending) have some portfolio products that are great for investors in this scenario. Also we lend correspondent with Angel Oak, Velocity, and several others whom offer 100% asset based (literally can have zero income) lending, as well as cash flow calc for S/E borrowers who's tax returns dont allow them to DTI with Fannie/Freddie/Ginne.

Just because it does not fit your box doesn't mean there is not a box for him somewhere else. ;)

Not if you have portfolio lending options. ;)

Do it, especially considering the upside and "unlimited ceiling" of real estate. You already have your foot int he door, may as well be knee deep. I do mortgage financing for several investors that have made similar jumps- not one of them regrets it. One now has a portfolio of over 200 properties and is 34 yrs old. 100% self made.

Another started a management company. Got to about 800 properties under his care, THEN got his license. I helped him market to his tenants to make sure anyone making the jump to being an owner went though him (he was previously missing most of this business). Not we see 2-3 closed units each and every month JUST off what he services. Its genius.

Pretty much this.

You already know the market, risks, etc. Just take the dive, and never look back. As stated healthcare will be a pricey line item, but I'm sure you can easily make that work.

If I ever decide to sell my business, and cash out I will be throwing a massive chunk at this exact same strategy.

Exit hell, you will feel like a new person.

Damn, I'm feeling like a million bucks reading these comments. Thank you guys, for real. I'm just so afraid to make a McSteak at 28 that can't be undone for years worth of work.

I'm not sure what your liquid nest egg looks like, but if you can and will live on the rental income like you say, wouldn't it be smart to do just that? Stick with your 2019 plan and bank every penny you make from your corporate gig over the next yearish. Also spend that time getting any other ducks in a row that'll make life easier.

It's amazing what an end goal/no fucks given attitude can do for everyday morale.

I'm all for doing what you love, and getting out. I made a big career change at 34 that I enjoy and make more money at, but I just dabble in real estate on the side.

Dude I thought I could do it another year. But each day I feel like I am growing to hate corporate more and more. I don't think I can hang on that long.

Your happiness has to come from within my dude.

True inner peace is when your mind, body, and actions are all in perfect harmony. You are NOT crazy and I can prove it...

Three years ago I was working my first job out of college working in a corporate building for McGraw Hill and GOD was I miserable. People would give you fake smiles and go about their daily business, fucking you over at every chance they got. Bosses would treat you like you were expendable and not worth anything. All that, combine with the consistent unrealistic expectation of "get it done, or i'll hire someone else who can do it" were really weighting thin on me. I wanted to quit for so long, but I did not know where to go internally. My anger grew more and more each day dealing with people who could care less about me and I was dreading going to work each day.

I finally had enough and knew I wanted to quit my job. I gave my two weeks notice and my dipshit boss demanded that I leave the building that same day and never come back. The day I walked out of that corporate shit-hole was like a 1,000,000 pound weight was lifted off my shoulders. I decided to dig into the I.T. field and within a week I was working at a High School in their Tech department. My B.A. is in Art Education, so working with kids was part of my background. I love education and technology and the day I did both for a living felt like the first day of a great professional career for me. I currently love my job and there is not a day that goes by that I regret quitting the corporate world. I love what I do and I am actually excited each day to go into work. I have no boss to hassle me, no micro management, and I can do things however the hell I want and not a single person gives a damn so long as the work gets done.

My point is... Do something you love for a living, and you will never work a day in your life. Do I make $100K? Fuck no! But I could not be any happier each day doing what I do.

Unless money matters to you, there is no point in being miserable each day. Wake up each day excited to go to work, so get out there and find something that makes you smile each day :)

Awesome example man, thank you.

We (Nations Lending) have some portfolio products that are great for investors in this scenario. Also we lend correspondent with Angel Oak, Velocity, and several others whom offer 100% asset based (literally can have zero income) lending, as well as cash flow calc for S/E borrowers who's tax returns dont allow them to DTI with Fannie/Freddie/Ginne.

Just because it does not fit your box doesn't mean there is not a box for him somewhere else. ;)

Let's talk. Do you support Columbus? Marc does traditional stuff for me and does a damn fine job. I do have 3 other portfolio loans but the bank I used to work with no longer does them (FCBank).

Pretty much this.

You already know the market, risks, etc. Just take the dive, and never look back. As stated healthcare will be a pricey line item, but I'm sure you can easily make that work.

If I ever decide to sell my business, and cash out I will be throwing a massive chunk at this exact same strategy.

Exit hell, you will feel like a new person.

Thanks man- I appreciate the encouragement.

Missed the sarcasm, didn't you? ;)

Don't assume that we (Union Savings Bank) do not have portfolio lending options or correspondent programs that would be of service either. There is a reason I work where I work...and why we are the number one mortgage lender in every one of our primary markets.

Back to Brad...You do have enough of a portfolio to make the jump. Health insurance costs for an overall healthy 28 year old are not an issue and shouldn't be a concern. It's a personal decision for you to make...either way you go, you should be just fine. :)

-Marc

Snapping necks, cashing checks.

Stepping on heads, gettin the creds

Oldest ride, longest line. See me at the top of ol' space mountain.

What did I just read? Mill-bro... plexx... plexx... not sure if troll or not?

One of my good friends just did this. Started talking about it about six months ago, then a couple weeks ago he just left his company. He co owned a successful business for many years and just grew tired of it. He took his buyout and now manages his 12 rental properties. Forty six and retired sounds nice. Outside of his rentals, he's planning on flipping one house a year to stay busy.

You're in HR right? Do you guys do any actual work anyway?

I kid of course. But the only .02 cents I have to add is I worked for the same company for a little over 10 years and most of it was in Operations. A few months ago I made the jump to sales, it was a huge jump and I'll be honest I was fucking scared/intimidated. I knew nothing about sales but I knew how to bullshit, talk to people, and work hard. I just finished the bulk of my training and everyday I go into work I'm actually excited to go to work and prove that I can not only do this but be the best at it (damn i should write motivational posters).

There's been a lot of internal changes at my employer in the last year, some are good and some not so much but one thing is for sure I should've made the jump years ago.

My personal opinion, without a family at home you have the flexibility to do this now. Obviously you'll leave on good terms so it's not like you wouldn't be able to re-enter the HR field in the future should the need arise (albeit at a lower position maybe). The only other caveat I can think of is how safe/prepared are you should the economy experience another slow down? You'll be reliant on your tenants to pay their rent, what happens if they lose their jobs etc...

It's a personal choice that you have to make, chase profitability now versus down the road. Either can work, just depends if your willing to deal with the curve balls of providing your own income. Another option is to do what no one has done in you corporate role and be provided the ability to come and go as you please because you are driving the results that very few are able to do.

One of my good friends just did this. Started talking about it about six months ago, then a couple weeks ago he just left his company. He co owned a successful business for many years and just grew tired of it. He took his buyout and now manages his 12 rental properties. Forty six and retired sounds nice. Outside of his rentals, he's planning on flipping one house a year to stay busy.

Stories like that are exactly what give me confidence. At first I felt like I was the only one dumb enough to do this. But the more and more I talk about it, the more people I meet that made the jump years ago and no one has ever said they regret it.

You're in HR right? Do you guys do any actual work anyway?

I kid of course. But the only .02 cents I have to add is I worked for the same company for a little over 10 years and most of it was in Operations. A few months ago I made the jump to sales, it was a huge jump and I'll be honest I was fucking scared/intimidated. I knew nothing about sales but I knew how to bullshit, talk to people, and work hard. I just finished the bulk of my training and everyday I go into work I'm actually excited to go to work and prove that I can not only do this but be the best at it (damn i should write motivational posters).

There's been a lot of internal changes at my employer in the last year, some are good and some not so much but one thing is for sure I should've made the jump years ago.

My personal opinion, without a family at home you have the flexibility to do this now. Obviously you'll leave on good terms so it's not like you wouldn't be able to re-enter the HR field in the future should the need arise (albeit at a lower position maybe). The only other caveat I can think of is how safe/prepared are you should the economy experience another slow down? You'll be reliant on your tenants to pay their rent, what happens if they lose their jobs etc...

HA- HR is the unsung hero. People love us when they need us, and hate us when they don't. It's a very unrewarding career at times! (I know you were kidding of course).

Yeah, obviously that's been the biggest obstacle in my mind- the looming possibility of a real estate crash. But look, if the economy tanks again, my ass is getting laid off anyways because retail will tank. So either way, I'm fucked. May as well get fucked in the position I like rather than being stuck doing missionary all day.

It's a personal choice that you have to make, chase profitability now versus down the road. Either can work, just depends if your willing to deal with the curve balls of providing your own income. Another option is to do what no one has done in you corporate role and be provided the ability to come and go as you please because you are driving the results that very few are able to do.

I've thought about having the conversation with my company and going down to part time. I think less time in the office could translate to more happiness, but it's still not what I really want to do. It's just a band-aid to my long term plan.

Just to update everyone:

I got rid of my truck and BMW and picked up a great real estate car (Jetta GLI) and am picking up a "more loved" F-150 tomorrow night. I met with another broker yesterday that appears to really want me- it'd be joining a team for a girl I've known for a few years. She sells between 150-200 houses a year with her 4 agents and just can't keep up right now. Once I get my sea-legs under me, I'd go off on my own.

I am having coffee with a CR member tomorrow who made this EXACT same move 2 years ago (it's weird- we made the same amount in corporate and have within 1 rental of each other and he became a REA). So I'm hoping after that conversation I'm ready to say fuck it and just go for it.

I met with another broker yesterday that appears to really want me- it'd be joining a team for a girl I've known for a few years. She sells between 150-200 houses a year with her 4 agents and just can't keep up right now. Once I get my sea-legs under me, I'd go off on my own.

I am having coffee with a CR member tomorrow who made this EXACT same move 2 years ago (it's weird- we made the same amount in corporate and have within 1 rental of each other and he became a REA). So I'm hoping after that conversation I'm ready to say fuck it and just go for it.

Hmm...sounds like ya'll need a local lending partner. Lettuce discuss when you make it official. :cool:

-Marc

• 5 months later...

5 months later, I am counting down the days. Increased my rental portfolio by 3 since this thread and flipping 2 houses right now with a new build project in the works. I always knew someday I'd reach the crossroads of having to make the choice between corporate and real estate- I'm here now and the decision is clear.

Having a minor surgery in January and bonus pays out at the end of March, I'm out in April. Terrified beyond belief, but sometimes you just have to take a chance. Wish me luck, boyz.

5 months later, I am counting down the days. Increased my rental portfolio by 3 since this thread and flipping 2 houses right now with a new build project in the works. I always knew someday I'd reach the crossroads of having to make the choice between corporate and real estate- I'm here now and the decision is clear.

Having a minor surgery in January and bonus pays out at the end of March, I'm out in April. Terrified beyond belief, but sometimes you just have to take a chance. Wish me luck, boyz.

You can do it bud. I'm in the middle of the same thing. After a little over 20 years in IT I left my employer a year ago, moved to the Myrtle Beach area and started out on my own. I don't know anyone here, and it was very scary. At the same time I went to a doctor about some stuff and have had some big changes and its been very hard. I do freelance field service work right now because I found that it was going to be the most direct approach to getting my income going. Its silly tier 1 issues, its different everyday, and I have almost zero responsibility for anything because I just play dumb as the guy on the ground and refer all issues back to their helpdesks. I'm working 10-20hrs/week. I plan to expand what I'm doing and to get more of my own clients for a larger piece of the pie, but for now its working out fine.