Texas high school shooting

RC K9

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I support the second amendment. I am a gun owner.

However, do we think this 17 year old kid would have went out and purchased guns if he did not have access at home? Would like to hear opinions on that.

He was armed with a shotgun and a .38 revolver — both legally owned by his dad, Abbott said.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/18/texas-school-shooting-suspect-backed-out-of-suicide-governor/

I support the second amendment. I am a gun owner.

However, do we think this 17 year old kid would have went out and purchased guns if he did not have access at home? Would like to hear opinions on that.

He was armed with a shotgun and a .38 revolver — both legally owned by his dad, Abbott said.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/18/texas-school-shooting-suspect-backed-out-of-suicide-governor/

If he really wanted to the he absolutely would have found another way, them being in the House was just his easy way.

Again drugs are illegal but you can still find and buy them if you really want to. Nothing is going to stop someone who wants to get their hands on illegal items.

I like many other will willing admit I drank under age, and that didn’t mean my only source was the beer in my fridge at home

People have been mean to each other since the day of time. Kids that get picked on all day, then come home and get picked on at home on social media or whatever it is without any place to relax could be part of a catalyst... honestly, it's a way bigger issue and I think identifying actual issues instead of blaming an inanimate object is a way better place to start. That's like us trying to ban Facebook... there's a way bigger problem here than a rifle or social media. Trying to work towards helping the mentally damaged, providing children with safe places where they aren't judged and get away from bullying, or hell, I don't know how about stop prescribing children with Ritalin or any other 100 SSRI's out there. We have failed as a culture in the past 20 years where we have raised a generation which is used to instant gratification, don't feel that they are ever wrong, and we've just failed to identify the signs even when they are staring us straight in the face.

Gotta agree again.

My kids will not get a social media account until they are an adult, we read texts, I grew up without social media, it’s possible. Our firearms are locked up, parents need prosecuted for not securing firearms.

So wait here just back peddle this on up, are you trying to say since this kid took his parents gun that it’s the parents fault now? Would it also be their fault of the kid took the steak knife from your block and stabbed a bunch of people?

I grew up in a house where multiple firearms were easily accessible to me at any given time but I was raised to not be a dumbass

So wait here just back peddle this on up, are you trying to say since this kid took his parents gun that it’s the parents fault now? Would it also be their fault of the kid took the steak knife from your block and stabbed a bunch of people?

I grew up in a house where multiple firearms were easily accessible to me at any given time but I was raised to not be a dumbass

Good for you, and your parents.

Yep not back pedaling, absolutely, you don't lock up your firearms, and your kids get butthurt and decide to be EMO and shoot up a school, absolutely parents are an accessory. Don’t give any fucks if you disagree.

I expect to go to prison if my kids did this with my weapons. I tell my kids what they do directly reflects me, and I am RESPONSIBLE for these kids, it is my obligation to take responsibility for their and my own actions. I brought them into this world....

BTW I must have all the steak knive mass stabbings blocked from my news apps.

I agree with you but I do keep my firearms locked up as well..

I agree with you but I do keep my firearms locked up as well..

Not saying you should not lock up your firearms but yet again at age 14 (youngest one I have read about shooting a classmate) I’m sure they have figured out how to use a key by their teenage years to unlock a safe or anything else

Also if you don’t think people who want to commit a crime won’t find a way for violence look at the stabbing incidents in the U.K

That’s like also saying if your kid takes your car and hits someone it’s your fault for letting them have access to a car. A vehicle is a aged privilege just like a firearm

Not saying you should not lock up your firearms but yet again at age 14 (youngest one I have read about shooting a classmate) I’m sure they have figured out how to use a key by their teenage years to unlock a safe or anything else

Also if you don’t think people who want to commit a crime won’t find a way for violence look at the stabbing incidents in the U.K

That’s like also saying if your kid takes your car and hits someone it’s your fault for letting them have access to a car. A vehicle is a aged privilege just like a firearm

Ben is correct. Parents are just as much to blame here as the teen in TX. Cars are not in the same category as a gun in terms of privilege nor in terms of a parents responsibility for those around them including their children. It’s not careless to leave the keys to your SUV out on the table but it is careless to leave a gun in easy access to them. I support the need for there to be laws requiring properly securing all firearms. It’s common sense. We require family pools to be secured but not guns...stupid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Steak knives are made to cut shit. Namely Steak. Guns have one purpose and one purpose only, to kill shit.

I still think comparisons like this are stupid on many levels. That being said in both cases it is the parents responsibility to teach their kids simple right form wrong, and to respect authority. Where parents are failing is kids should have the fear of god, and ultimate respect in them for their parents. Plain and simple. Too many parents are afraid to lay a hand on their kids because of a sue happy society and doctors that have made a reality that any kid that is "stuck" even out of punishment is "abused". No matter what.

I also think ultra violent video games have successfully desensitized america. I grew up playing NBA JAM. I though Doom 1 was wild. Now, you can basically practice rape, kill, behead, mass murder for 6-8 hours a day in the comfort of your bedroom in full 1080p.

Multiple levels of fucked, no easy solution.

Good for you, and your parents.

Yep not back pedaling, absolutely, you don't lock up your firearms, and your kids get butthurt and decide to be EMO and shoot up a school, absolutely parents are an accessory. Don’t give any fucks if you disagree.

I expect to go to prison if my kids did this with my weapons. I tell my kids what they do directly reflects me, and I am RESPONSIBLE for these kids, it is my obligation to take responsibility for their and my own actions. I brought them into this world....

BTW I must have all the steak knive mass stabbings blocked from my news apps.

Ben is correct. Parents are just as much to blame here as the teen in TX. Cars are not in the same category as a gun in terms of privilege nor in terms of a parents responsibility for those around them including their children. It’s not careless to leave the keys to your SUV out on the table but it is careless to leave a gun in easy access to them. I support the need for there to be laws requiring properly securing all firearms. It’s common sense. We require family pools to be secured but not guns...stupid.

I honestly thought I was the only one that thought this way. Glad to see there's others who agree with this idea.

So, hypothetical situation.

Parents luck up guns. Kids break lock and use guns. However they do this, use your imagination.

Still think parents are an accessory?

But that ever happen right? Better lock up your alchohol as well don’t forget that

Shit tide is now making commercials about keeping your laundry detergent away from your toddler because we can’t parent children anymore

I fully now understand why Walmart locks up Condoms because kids are snorting those now as well

We are doomed as humanity

Parents luck up guns. Kids break lock and use guns. However they do this, use your imagination.

As both a parent and a gun owner.......YES.

Being a parent is a much larger responsibility than even owning a gun. You are responsible for teaching your children the correct morals and values, whatever you believe those to be. You are also responsible for recognizing issues with those children and acting accordingly, even if that means getting rid of your guns.

My biggest issue with society today is accountability and the fact that people think that there are no consequences for their actions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Edited by cstmg8

Steak knives are made to cut shit. Namely Steak. Guns have one purpose and one purpose only, to kill shit.

I still think comparisons like this are stupid on many levels. That being said in both cases it is the parents responsibility to teach their kids simple right form wrong, and to respect authority. Where parents are failing is kids should have the fear of god, and ultimate respect in them for their parents. Plain and simple. Too many parents are afraid to lay a hand on their kids because of a sue happy society and doctors that have made a reality that any kid that is "stuck" even out of punishment is "abused". No matter what.

I also think ultra violent video games have successfully desensitized america. I grew up playing NBA JAM. I though Doom 1 was wild. Now, you can basically practice rape, kill, behead, mass murder for 6-8 hours a day in the comfort of your bedroom in full 1080p.

Multiple levels of fucked, no easy solution.

Yuuup

My firearms are locked up in a biometric safe, and the keys are not on the same property. Only my finger or my wife’s finger will open the safe.

My firearms are locked up in a biometric safe, and the keys are not on the same property. Only my finger or my wife’s finger will open the safe.

I tend to try and stay out of these conversations, but those tiny bio saves are not very secure. They are meant to keep “honest” people out, or small children.

Should a determined person want in, they can get in and easily.

I applaud you being a responsible parent, but I don’t want you to have a false sense of security.

I think the most effective thing to prevent these events is to be involved with your kids.

Not legally but it would depend on how the laws written, however I can't see it being written in such a way that they would be.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

I tend to try and stay out of these conversations, but those tiny bio saves are not very secure. They are meant to keep “honest” people out, or small children.

Should a determined person want in, they can get in and easily.

I applaud you being a responsible parent, but I don’t want you to have a false sense of security.

I think the most effective thing to prevent these events is to be involved with your kids.

And that’s what I have at the moment, small kids. And if you think I’m not involved with my kids, you don't know me.