"Value Rut"

zeitgeist57

So...I received an unsolicited offer for my '95 BMW that I'm entertaining, but in having some fun researching another car that fits my wants/needs:

- stick-shift

- Preferably RWD

- Convertible

- 4-seater, for the kids

- A/C, modern power accessories (cruise control, windows, stereo, etc)

- Sporty, but reliability/highway comfort more important than track performance

...I am finding nothing I'd want to spend decent money on or finance for what I'd be getting rid of the BMW for (not a lot of money)!

It's definitely not the fastest, and it does need some maintenance done, but I DD it with the top down most days and it's still a ton of fun for what I want out of a driver as a suburban family man with a white-collar career.

Anyone else feel like this? You see a great car you'd like to have, but happily realize your current ride is great, especially for being paid for?

"If you can't be with the one you love, honey...love the one your with." :lol:

Good spot to be in. The only fear is almost waiting for some cell-faced-jaggoff to T-bone it.

Wouldnt be able to replace it very easily.

I feel the same feeling towards this FJ of all things. Lot of stuff I would potentially like to have over it, but then again ....not at all when I think about it. Plus side, is if someone does total it, I can likely replace the thing, unlike that bimmer.

it's a great car and you get a ton of use out of it. I get that it's not fast but you have a fast car already (CTS-V).

Honestly, this is just the wrong time to be looking to buy, esp a convertible. I think you would find a lot more "deals" around October on "fun" cars.

Knowing you, the only car I think you would find fun and a comparable improvement over the bmw would be an S197 mustang GT. Unfortunatly for a clean one that's a $10K + proposition.

maybe finance something like this:

https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/d/2011-ford-mustang-gt-premium/6611316458.html

or this because Rare:

https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2009-mustang-gt-full-glass-top/6611021527.html

I have a line on a local 996 convertible 911 in stick for pretty cheap, but it's still an over $10K proposition as well, might be worth looking into one of those because the value on them has really tanked.

something like this maybe:

https://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-porsche-cab-4-911/6594973398.html

Good comments, guys...

- In UA, the answer should be Jeep Wrangler as there are a million of them, but the new JL is the only one I'd be interested in and it's out of my price range. Maybe if I get rid of the BMW I'll start trolling CL for some cheap TJ.

- Mustang...man...I just can't get my head around that one. Maybe S550 in a few years? But the Lincoln LS-based s197 is such a BIG CAR to me.

- I do want to drive a 911 sometime, but I could never do anything less than an S or 4S. Those base Carrera's look pretty silly to me without wide fenders. Porsche fixed that with recent generations but again, more than I want to spend.

Edited by zeitgeist57

Good comments, guys...

- In UA, the answer should be Jeep Wrangler as there are a million of them, but the new JL is the only one I'd be interested in and it's out of my price range. Maybe if I get rid of the BMW I'll start trolling CL for some cheap TJ.

- Mustang...man...I just can't get my head around that one. Maybe S550 in a few years? But the Lincoln LS-based s197 is such a BIG CAR to me.

- I do want to drive a 911 sometime, but I could never do anything less than an S or 4S. Those base Carrera's look pretty silly to me without wide fenders. Porsche fixed that with recent generations but again, more than I want to spend.

clay, in this realm you can be

- picky

- frugal

- having fun.

pick 2.

If you are looking at a TJ, the only one I would consider is the TJ Unlimiteds from 04-06 and wait till you see the prices on those. the extra wheelbase makes the ride so much nicer though.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2005-jeep-wrangler-tj-lj/6610532858.html

https://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-jeep-wrangler-lj/6595800968.html

Anything's going to feel big after an e36, they're tiny.

Mustang gets you 4 seats for your kids, convertible, RWD, V8 noise, and a manual trans. Oh and your favorite, cheap as hell.

Lower it a bit with some decent shocks and it'll feel less like a boat. S550 is larger, and heavier than a 3V.

I’m with ya. I’ve recently been thinking about selling both of my trucks and using the cash for a down payment on a new crew cab, but holy shit prices are asinine for anything more than a bare bones 6 cylinder truck. That’s when I start thinking about vehicles that are around the 5 year old mark now that I figure have taken a resale hit and might be a bargain by now...nope. Lol

Cts wagon? Audi something or other, some garbage product made by vw? Older Infiniti? Loaded maxima, SV premiums I think? 3000gt!

Maybe just drive or sell something else in your horde?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I go through this constantly with the 4runner. I've had people offer 5 times what I paid for it, but I just can't replace it for that. It's not that special of a vehicle, but it has just enough character and capability to keep me interested. I'd love to have a 5th gen 4runner or newer pickup, but I'm just not ready for the payment.

My solution is to add another project DD to the stable (similar to someone else I know). When I'm modifying one I can drive the other.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If I went newer, I do like Lauren/Coltboostin's threads about the N54/N55 BMW...they seem to be relatively cheap and stick/hardtop'verts. Other car that's a little more of a unicorn is an Infiniti G37 stick/hardtop'vert.

I probably wouldn't get a newer Jeep...I'm more of a lowered guy and would rather cruise more comfortably at 80mph on the highway than fake some off-road chops. Maybe just get some beater Wrangler and slowly fix it up over time down the road when my daughter gets closer to driving age...make it a daddy/daughter project.

If the BMW goes, I'll definitely give the Mustang a drive, both S197 and S550.

If I went newer, I do like Lauren/Coltboostin's threads about the N54/N55 BMW...they seem to be relatively cheap and stick/hardtop'verts. Other car that's a little more of a unicorn is an Infiniti G37 stick/hardtop'vert.

I probably wouldn't get a newer Jeep...I'm more of a lowered guy and would rather cruise more comfortably at 80mph on the highway than fake some off-road chops. Maybe just get some beater Wrangler and slowly fix it up over time.

If the BMW goes, I'll definitely give the Mustang a drive, both S197 and S550.

Lower a Jeep and piss everyone off.

If you decide to go the 3v Mustang route one thing to consider is I bet you plan on doing your own work where you can. Iirc these have the 2 piece spark plug design (can be a real pita if they decide to not come out in one piece), but there is a kit for removing the stuck piece.