CR help with classic truck search

cstmg8

Going to look at the truck tomorrow night. It sounds like a decent deal, for what I'm looking for. I almost wish he hadn't painted it, because it was done by a friend and he "didn't expect a $3,000 paint job". I Know it has dings here and there, and the paint isn't going to be great, but I'm not looking for a show truck. There aren't any rust holes in it and the frame looks to be just surface rust.. Lots of little things to do, but hoping to take it home for $4.5k.

He sent me a picture before paint, looks solid.

aaa9ffd15df7f9bc2932c84bfa6aab30.jpgf798024b97290961c92f8ccc5334f59c.jpg87f284e38d278bb03f0f5646950b7e7c.jpg8621bfdb47b83607cfea9e1f1450b8d7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Still looking.... I've driven a few trucks, but they've been in worse shape than expected, or had rust in the wrong places for me. I'm at the point that I'm willing to spend a bit more for a good specimen, but trucks are all over the spectrum at $8-12k.

Some resulting decisions are:

59-66 f100 only

No crown Vic swap

Help!

Have you considered looking out west? My experience tells me to expect a bill of 1000 to 1500 to have a truck shipped from Arizona. There are services that will go inspect the truck for you. Might cost you an extra 2k, but the right truck will be completely rust free.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/1965-f100-shortbed/6659787818.html

Rick - Thanks for making my morning @ work less than efficient (But fun). Spent too much time wishing I could get a hauler and get something like this one. Guessing I could get this one for under $6K shipped to Grove City:

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/d/1955-ford-f100/6660418800.html

Rick - Thanks for making my morning @ work less than efficient (But fun). Spent too much time wishing I could get a hauler and get something like this one. Guessing I could get this one for under $6K shipped to Grove City:

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/d/1955-ford-f100/6660418800.html

A buddy of mine did this with his Chevy C10. Hunted for months and ended up buying a rust free truck out of west Texas. He still had to do some bodywork (one cab corner that was crunched and a pinhole in the hood) but it saved him a ton on rust repair. Granted he was looking for a project truck because he was LS swapping it and Z-ing the frame and installing Air ride so all he really needed was a body, but it saved him a pretty good amount in bodywork.

A buddy of mine did this with his Chevy C10. Hunted for months and ended up buying a rust free truck out of west Texas. He still had to do some bodywork (one cab corner that was crunched and a pinhole in the hood) but it saved him a ton on rust repair. Granted he was looking for a project truck because he was LS swapping it and Z-ing the frame and installing Air ride so all he really needed was a body, but it saved him a pretty good amount in bodywork.

Best way to do it, IMO. We got lucky with the '49 we found outside of Flint. The Fam '52 has cab rust we're dealing with now but it's got too much history for us to not keep it.

Looked at this truck yesterday. Overall pretty rust free, frame looked great, 460 was strong, interior was decent.

Problem was that yet again, someone tried to do their own body repairs and created more work than the original damage. Whole roof was Bondo.

On to the next, I'm about to compromise and add late 60's-early 70's trucks to the search. Less character but better prices.

b549a52744913e204b7a406c6e991f06.jpg