Cam gear bolt stripped - 2JZ

ph1tnessjunk1e

Has anyone else had the unfortunate experience of screwing up the cam gear bolt like I did?

Engine is a 2JZ-GTE VVTI and this is the intake gear. The allen bolt head was stripped as I was trying to loosen it with a breaker bar. See pictures below :'(

I appreciate and help or advice with how to get this thing out now that the head is ruined.

139ebec971d7f4679bc090a0f0c9390a.jpg

a63dcc5908eff58d30bdc26de0b1f97f.jpg

1d802f2fd3bc81e8bcb9f2f4775b825a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can try and tap a larger hex into it and try that. Sadly drilling it out really isn't much of a choice either since its already hollow for oil flow. Best bet is to pull the cam out and get another one with a new VVTi cam gear.

Perfect time to upgrade cams too!

you can try and tap a larger hex into it and try that. Sadly drilling it out really isn't much of a choice either since its already hollow for oil flow. Best bet is to pull the cam out and get another one with a new VVTi cam gear.

Add some heat as well to this or just say oh well and upgrade like everyone else

Start with trying to tap a lager allen wrench into it. I recommend using a torx head instead as the grooves between teeth will allow more of a "bite" if that doesn't work, then its time to bust out the welder. There is an old school trick to take a small bolt that fits into the hole where the allen wrench would go and weld that in. As soon as you finish welding it into place try breaking it loose. the new bolt will allow you to get a regular 6 sided socket on there, and the welding will heat up the bold directly so it should break loose as soon as you do that. Make sure to clean the gear as much as you can and wrap/cover it with tape so the weld spatter doesnt get on any machined surfaces or the teeth of the gear.

I acutally just got a gator grip socket in the mail lol. Pretty excited about it.

I have an allen drain bolt stripped out on our Mini. Going to enlarge my 'flathead' cut I Dremeled into it (which also might be an option for the OP)....and see if the Gator grips!

I’d probably use a twist socket and an impact after I tried a torx bit.

Hmm looks interesting. I was thinking something similar -- a co-worker suggested a splined extractor. Looks like virtually same concept

Haven't thought of this, this could work. Wouldn't you want reverse threads so it's easier to get the bolt out by tightening it?

I was considering cams anyways lol so you're probably right. I want to try to keep the gear in tact

Start with trying to tap a lager allen wrench into it. I recommend using a torx head instead as the grooves between teeth will allow more of a "bite" if that doesn't work, then its time to bust out the welder. There is an old school trick to take a small bolt that fits into the hole where the allen wrench would go and weld that in. As soon as you finish welding it into place try breaking it loose. the new bolt will allow you to get a regular 6 sided socket on there, and the welding will heat up the bold directly so it should break loose as soon as you do that. Make sure to clean the gear as much as you can and wrap/cover it with tape so the weld spatter doesnt get on any machined surfaces or the teeth of the gear.

I wish I could do this, unfortunately I don't have a welder [emoji17]

It sounds like an extractor or tapping another bolt in the hole is my best bet. I appreciate the help! [emoji16]

Eric all you have to do is ask man. Im sure we could meet up to get it welded if you wanted to try it. Personally, I would start soaking the shit out of it with PB blast, and try tapping a large torx bit into it. I have a set that is 1/2 inch drive that you can pick up at harbor freight for like $20. Push comes to shove it will snap off at the head anyway so then you could drill and tap a new one into place.

Eric all you have to do is ask man. Im sure we could meet up to get it welded if you wanted to try it. Personally, I would start soaking the shit out of it with PB blast, and try tapping a large torx bit into it. I have a set that is 1/2 inch drive that you can pick up at harbor freight for like $20. Push comes to shove it will snap off at the head anyway so then you could drill and tap a new one into place.

The bolt is hollow so tapping is probably my best next option.

If you get it off, I have a spare bolt that you can have for replacement.

Damn! Unfortunately I already bought a new bolt and received it [emoji17]

I think you need 2beyonces to remove a stripper from your 2JZ.

Sorry I couldn't resist. carry on.

Lol that's a good corny joke [emoji846]

I’d probably use a twist socket and an impact after I tried a torx bit.

I see you used what I said. That’s why I have these in my toolbox, big ones for stripped lugnuts or wheel locks, smaller ones for this stuff.