College Football Thread: Version 2018

Bigbird

Takeaways/impressions:

- I think TCU is a solid team. I was impressed with their defense. I also like how they just went right after Ohio State with the up-tempo. No fear, have to respect that. I think this is an impressive win for Ohio State.

- I think Ohio State made really good adjustments at halftime. TCU looked lost/befuddled/impotent on offense for large portions of the second half. The TD pass was kind of garbage; the QB made an ill-advised pass into double coverage, our DB turned the wrong way, and the receiver made a gift catch. Meaning, they definitely weren't driving in the second half the way they were the first half. I credit coaching.

- Ryan Day has really impressed me. It doesn't sound like I am the only one worried when Urban returns to take over the helm. And how crazy is it to even say that? But I am. I had like zero clue who Ryan Day was 3 months ago; now I want him to stay forever. <3

- I will trust our defense (LB and DB play, specifically) will continue to improve as the year goes on.

- I worry about Penn State. I hate Penn State. Stupid Happy Valley and that dumb cougar loudspeaker roar. Die stupid cougar. Their mascot is a homeless dog. I digress.

- I thought our offensive line did great against that defense (minus the low snaps, WTF?). I think that TCU team would have obliterated a JT Barrett led team.

- Haskins is really impressive. And it wasn't like he had what anyone would call a fantastic game - and yet his stats were really, really good. I guess that dude has a massive ceiling.

- whoever is calling the plays for Ohio State (Ryan Day?) is who I have a crush on right now.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh huh

tenor.gif?itemid=4627733

Takeaways/impressions:

- I think TCU is a solid team. I was impressed with their defense. I also like how they just went right after Ohio State with the up-tempo. No fear, have to respect that. I think this is an impressive win for Ohio State.

- I think Ohio State made really good adjustments at halftime. TCU looked lost/befuddled/impotent on offense for large portions of the second half. The TD pass was kind of garbage; the QB made an ill-advised pass into double coverage, our DB turned the wrong way, and the receiver made a gift catch. Meaning, they definitely weren't driving in the second half the way they were the first half. I credit coaching.

- Ryan Day has really impressed me. It doesn't sound like I am the only one worried when Urban returns to take over the helm. And how crazy is it to even say that? But I am. I had like zero clue who Ryan Day was 3 months ago; now I want him to stay forever. <3

- I will trust our defense (LB and DB play, specifically) will continue to improve as the year goes on.

- I worry about Penn State. I hate Penn State. Stupid Happy Valley and that dumb cougar loudspeaker roar. Die stupid cougar. Their mascot is a homeless dog. I digress.

- I thought our offensive line did great against that defense (minus the low snaps, WTF?). I think that TCU team would have obliterated a JT Barrett led team.

- Haskins is really impressive. And it wasn't like he had what anyone would call a fantastic game - and yet his stats were really, really good. I guess that dude has a massive ceiling.

- whoever is calling the plays for Ohio State (Ryan Day?) is who I have a crush on right now.

I concur.

I want to chalk up the low snaps to him rushing due to being worried about his blocking assignments. TCU brought heat. They have a good defense and he was worried/focused on blocking.

That's what I'm telling myself anyway. Time will tell.

This. Haskins has great hands, just about every snap was at his ankles. Needs to share some of that glue with Mack :p

:lolguy: is that what a groan issue looks like? or more of a :no:

Perhaps I should have used quotation marks to indicate the attempt at "teh funneh". If you've never heard a groin referred to as either a "groan" or a "grow-in", I'm guessing you never "sportsed" in your middle school/high school years.

The Joey Bosa sack to the end the Penn State game in 2014 is one of the most under-appreciated plays in Ohio State lore.

Sacking a QB with one of his offensive linemen is definitely grounds for free whatever-you-want from OSU fans for life.

Free list:

- White Castle hamburgers

- Roosters chicken wings

- Four String Hilltop Lager

- OYO liquor

- blumpkins behind the Varsity Club.

- Auto-renewing 2-year leases on Chevy Silverado's

Sacking a QB with one of his offensive linemen is definitely grounds for free whatever-you-want from OSU fans for life.

Free list:

- White Castle hamburgers

- Roosters chicken wings

- Four String Hilltop Lager

- OYO liquor

- blumpkins behind the Varsity Club.

- Auto-renewing 2-year leases on Chevy Silverado's

It was a running back, IIRC.

I try and bring that play up as much as I can. Hackenberg went down like a little baby.

YESSSSSSSSSSS

I honestly think everyone - like the announcers - were stunned because, well, I am not sure anyone has ever seen a game end like that. I certainly can't ever recall a game ending because a defense player bulldozed an offensive player into the QB resulting in a sack.

Perhaps I should have used quotation marks to indicate the attempt at "teh funneh". If you've never heard a groin referred to as either a "groan" or a "grow-in", I'm guessing you never "sportsed" in your middle school/high school years.

Actually I played Right Guard (whistle) in 8th grade. This was many moons ago and have never actually heard that term before. Must be a .. nevermind. :):p

Things to watch this weekend: The read option

Urban said he’s not going to call the plays moving forward and leave that up to Wilson and Day, we’ll see. I think we should do what we did the first few weeks and let Tate play a drive or 2 in the first half so Urban can call a few read options and hopefully that’ll be sufficient for him lol