CR Techies - beat an Apple MacBook for the price!

zeitgeist57

My wife just got a jerb with a law firm here in town. She wants to upgrade her POS Samsung laptop with a MacBook Pro Air MAGA 5G LTE OMG BBQ edition, and I argue that she's not doing graphic design or video editing or gaming-on-the-go so she doesn't need a fucking MacBook!

Please help me!!! Need a new-tech, easy-to-use laptop that's going to functionally work better than a new MacBook. She's doing contract reviews/amendments and documentary work so it's more data storage, internet speed/processing. Bells and whistles for cheaper than Apple.

GO!!!

Agreed. I got my Samsung Chromebook for hundy fiddy. I absolutely love it.

They don't even have to be complete pieces of shit, either. Some of them have really nice build quality -- the Samsungs and Asus versions mostly.

I absolutely love CR.

Any OP asking about any material item or place to visit/dine: "Hey, I need an/am looking for a 'X'. It has to be this color, have these specs, serve this specific purpose, and be in this price range. I'm pretty open to any other letter, but it absolutely, positively, without question, CANNOT be 'Y'."

CR: "Have you tried 'Y'? I know someone that did once and therefore I highly recommend it."

I absolutely love CR.

Any OP asking about any material item or place to visit/dine: "Hey, I need an/am looking for a 'X'. It has to be this color, have these specs, serve this specific purpose, and be in this price range. I'm pretty open to any other letter, but it absolutely, positively, without question, CANNOT be 'Y'."

CR: "Have you tried 'Y'? I know someone that did once and therefore I highly recommend it."

But seriously, Chromebook.

Chromebook's suck, I'm shocked that any IT person would recommend it as a viable alternative to a Mac or Windows PC for anything other than web browsing. With that being said, it really depends on what she's doing. I love my 2017 MacBook Pro, I also have a Samsung Ultrabook which has awesome battery life and a beautiful screen. At the end of the day, all the machines will work. Just get her what she wants. I've learned if you don't, you'll end up buying it down the road and it will be a battle because you didn't get her what she wanted in the first place.

Chromebook's suck, I'm shocked that any IT person would recommend it as a viable alternative to a Mac or Windows PC for anything other than web browsing. With that being said, it really depends on what she's doing. I love my 2017 MacBook Pro, I also have a Samsung Ultrabook which has awesome battery life and a beautiful screen. At the end of the day, all the machines will work. Just get her what she wants. I've learned if you don't, you'll end up buying it down the road and it will be a battle because you didn't get her what she wanted in the first place.

fucking this ^^^^. Fuck Chromebook for anything other than lite web browsing. I still use my Macbook pro from 2009 and it does everything I ask of it. Short of needing the motherboard replaced under warranty due to a faulty capacitor ive never touched it or had to do anything.

fucking this ^^^^. Fuck Chromebook for anything other than lite web browsing. I still use my Macbook pro from 2009 and it does everything I ask of it. Short of needing the motherboard replaced under warranty due to a faulty capacitor ive never touched it or had to do anything.

I'm not disagreeing and I don't have a dog in this fight (just here for the lols) but isn't that like saying, "I know you don't want a Ford but you should totally get a Ford! I've had one since 2009 and other than replacing the entire drive train it's been perfect!"

You basically just praised how reliable faulty equipment was, no? lol

I'm not disagreeing and I don't have a dog in this fight (just here for the lols) but isn't that like saying, "I know you don't want a Ford but you should totally get a Ford! I've had one since 2009 and other than replacing the entire drive train it's been perfect!"

You basically just praised how reliable faulty equipment was, no? lol

yes and no, yes I praised the equipment that has failed but I also praised the manufacture because they replaced the motherboard when it was 4 years out of warranty.

yes and no, yes I praised the equipment that has failed but I also praised the manufacture because they replaced the motherboard when it was 4 years out of warranty.

Not a bad deal at all.

I bought a Toshiba laptop for $300 something in January of 2012. It's still my only laptop at home. Been fortunate enough to never have to do a thing to it.

Honestly sounds like a Chromebook would work perfectly for her if all she works with are word documents and spreadsheets. I used one for a while as my main work computer (our development environment was in the cloud so it was perfect).

It's not a full blown PC, and you have to realize that, but it comes with the Google Store so if there's an Android app for what you need, you can install it on there. It also doesn't have the "ooooh look at me, I paid too much money for an Apple product" feature, so that could be a check in the cons column for some. Which to be honest, sounds like your wife wants one because it's trendy or her friends/coworkers have them...so you might be screwed :lol:

I have an HP Chromebook G5, it's an older one that I think I paid $250 for new at Best Buy 2 years ago. It was one of the better built ones at the time, similarly priced ones felt very plasticy, but the new ones are much nicer.

My current work provided laptop is a Dell Latitude and it's been reliable over the last year...it just doesn't have a cool factor though.

Clay,

Step 1: she should go talk to the Law Firm's IT department and find out what the security criteria is for the work she would be doing. If the firm does any work for any large companies (esp in the financial industry) there are some very specific requirements and even some software that may not be Apple compatible.

I am actually kind of surprised that anybody here would recommend a chromebook that uses the google drive for any kind of professional sensitive documents. I can tell you from personal experience that there are a lot of big companies that don't approve of any confidential info being stored on the google drive without their express permission and also use of it's partner services.

Honestly sounds like a Chromebook would work perfectly for her if all she works with are word documents and spreadsheets. I used one for a while as my main work computer (our development environment was in the cloud so it was perfect).

It's not a full blown PC, and you have to realize that, but it comes with the Google Store so if there's an Android app for what you need, you can install it on there. It also doesn't have the "ooooh look at me, I paid too much money for an Apple product" feature, so that could be a check in the cons column for some. Which to be honest, sounds like your wife wants one because it's trendy or her friends/coworkers have them...so you might be screwed :lol:

I have an HP Chromebook G5, it's an older one that I think I paid $250 for new at Best Buy 2 years ago. It was one of the better built ones at the time, similarly priced ones felt very plasticy, but the new ones are much nicer.

My current work provided laptop is a Dell Latitude and it's been reliable over the last year...it just doesn't have a cool factor though.

maybe basic spreadsheets, but don't expect to print anything without connecting to google print services.... a virtual desktop environment a chromebook would be fine but not much else.

Clay,

Step 1: she should go talk to the Law Firm's IT department and find out what the security criteria is for the work she would be doing. If the firm does any work for any large companies (esp in the financial industry) there are some very specific requirements and even some software that may not be Apple compatible.

I am actually kind of surprised that anybody here would recommend a chromebook that uses the google drive for any kind of professional sensitive documents. I can tell you from personal experience that there are a lot of big companies that don't approve of any confidential info being stored on the google drive without their express permission and also use of it's partner services.

I agree with this although depending on size, there might not be an IT department just a guy who "knows" computers.

I agree with this although depending on size, there might not be an IT department just a guy who "knows" computers.

100% agree, but if it is dealing with large enough client's there will be a data handler section of the client agreement that will outline the criteria.

That is to say small companies aren't entitled to protection to, they should take the same care, it just falls to the employee to make an extra effort.

Personally, I wouldn't have any company files on a personal asset anymore. If she wants a home computer to do work on that doesn't involve a remote desktop it should be a dedicated machine, and honestly apple isn't a bad choice since they are by their nature less susceptible to malware. They aren't more "secure" by any means in fact they are actually less, but most hackers skip over them because mac's aren't usually "business machines" so the market for creating software to attack them isn't viable.

100% agree, but if it is dealing with large enough client's there will be a data handler section of the client agreement that will outline the criteria.

That is to say small companies aren't entitled to protection to, they should take the same care, it just falls to the employee to make an extra effort.

Personally, I wouldn't have any company files on a personal asset anymore. If she wants a home computer to do work on that doesn't involve a remote desktop it should be a dedicated machine, and honestly apple isn't a bad choice since they are by their nature less susceptible to malware. They aren't more "secure" by any means in fact they are actually less, but most hackers skip over them because mac's aren't usually "business machines" so the market for creating software to attack them isn't viable.

This man is absolutely correct in what he's saying.

Clay,

This man is absolutely correct in what he's saying.

Yep. Especially the part about not leaving documents in Google Drive. Unless the firm's signed a BAA with G Suite for those documents, they and/or your wife could be deemed negligent if there were an issue with data retention. Any law firm worth working for will have a data retention policy that she can easily find.

Clay, feel free to give me a buzz. Until this year I worked for an IT company that had over 300 law firms as clients. Kerry is right that the first step would be to talk to whoever the firm's IT liaison and see what SOP is. Beyond that, Dell Latitudes and HP Elitebooks are good laptops. I've found that attorneys tend to love 2-in-1 or convertible laptops such as the Surface Pro or Dell XPS 2-in-1s. The ability to use an e-pen for OneNote without having to type is especially coveted since those OneNotes can be shared with admin staff remotely. I had one attorney take the plunge with an HP Elitebook x360 and loved it so much he stopped buying desktops for any of his staff attorneys and bought them all similar devices because it completely changed the way he worked.

I'd be happy to do a little free consulting to see how she works and what might fit her needs.