BMW 2002

Lauren

Guys I need some advice on a BMW 2002. I found a 1976 locally here and checked it out today. It needs paint but its rust free and dent free except w small dent on roof. Mechanically the sole carb is jacked but I'd convert to a Weber for ease. It does fire up and drive. Has newish brakes and clutch. 80k miles original.

I know these are pretty much cult cars and them seem to sell for 10-30k regularly. This one wouldn't take much to get to be able to daily but cosmetically its going to need a full respray.

The owner is a super cool guy and just wants it out of his collection. We agreed to a price under $2500. For $500 I can get a weber and lowering springs and shocks.

Now would you do this? This seems like a can't lose situation to me but I'm just not sure.

I'm debating between a BMW 2002 or a w114 or w123 Mercedes. 106cce70385d2aa4f08d58610d932667.jpgba1a164460dbe1e0171640ffe52af144.jpgb587c1769bfe012c0784518d4d43e203.jpgc43ddd55727e4105f6e1fe9e750daedf.jpg2ec1c2515c3d06140ca192126688f664.jpg37af5e5e97629819d66702c7874d3605.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The jokes old now. Not funny anymore. And no I won't waste money on a new phone. This one works and I'd rather buy cars and parts

Well, disagree to disagree.

Regarding the car, we all know you're going to get it. Sounds like a good deal and your mind is made up but you want justification.

Believe in the BMW. Even if it means you have to sacrifice everything. Just do it.

I had a 1976 in the same color.

First thing to check is the rear shock mounts. They rust horribly and the repair is expensive to the point where there are a lot of bodged ones out there. Also check the front firewall, front floorboards, and front shocks for rust. These cars rust like crazy, even in the south.

If the car doesn’t come up as a rusty bucket of bolts, then it’s a hell of a good deal. You won’t get near $30k on that one even with a respray as the ones getting that money are nit ad bolt restorations but you should get north of $10k if you are willing to ship it back north.

Any original parts you take off save and put in a box and give to the new owner, if that’s a nice unmolested car like it looks to be people are going to want those parts.

Slight lowering, wheels tires, DITCH THE FED-SPEC BUMPERS....would be a super fun cruiser. Good luck.

In my eBay shopping cart I have weber carb, front spoiler to ditch bumper, h&r springs and bikstein shocks, turbo fender flares and early rear bumper :lol:

have you ever driven an '02 before? They are slow. when in top running condition that one you are looking at made 98hp at the crank. My Tii made I think 140 crank hp and was decent for a little bop around car that handled really well being from the 1970's.

the $500 weber downdraft carb setup will make it a nice runner for scooting around town but the "hot" setup for these cars are 2 weber DCOE sidedraft carbs, a Schrick cam, a stahl header, and ansa exhaust (for the sound mostly). Of course that's an easy way to spend like $2002 on it before you've done any bodywork.

have you ever driven an '02 before? They are slow. when in top running condition that one you are looking at made 98hp at the crank. My Tii made I think 140 crank hp and was decent for a little bop around car that handled really well being from the 1970's.

the $500 weber downdraft carb setup will make it a nice runner for scooting around town but the "hot" setup for these cars are 2 weber DCOE sidedraft carbs, a Schrick cam, a stahl header, and ansa exhaust (for the sound mostly). Of course that's an easy way to spend like $2002 on it before you've done any bodywork.

I haven't driven one. But I'm not expecting much. In was OK with a 68hp Mercedes 240d so this will be more fun.

For an extra $300 I can get a euro spec M20 engine , transmission, wire harness and ecu from a euro e30 with 100k miles on it. I'm going to buy the engine set up as well just in case

my dad had one in that exact same color combo when i was young. Had suspension mods and a set of gold mesh wheels on it that really set it off. He did auto-x with it when I was young and I always thought it was the coolest thing on the face of the planet.

...but it is slow,

sounds like a good buy in my opinion.

I haven't driven one. But I'm not expecting much. In was OK with a 68hp Mercedes 240d so this will be more fun.

For an extra $300 I can get a euro spec M20 engine , transmission, wire harness and ecu from a euro e30 with 100k miles on it. I'm going to buy the engine set up as well just in case

They are nothing if they are not charming cars, and they look great so there is that.

M20 is a 6cyl. I am not a big fan of the mods needed to put one in a Neu Klasse chassis because it's not a small amount of fab work and it kind of kills the character of the car for like a 50hp bump. It's a lot of heavy weight up front.

The two swapped '02s I drove were an S14 swapped car that was owned by the classic car club of NY, and an M42 swapped car that a friend of mine had on Long island. S14 swap was neat but is now a high dollar proposition, but honestly you could probably find a cheap 1991 E30 318i and do the M42 swap much easier and cheaper and keep the 4cyl "character" of the car. here is a primer on the M42 swap into an '02:

http://www.theguestroom.net/m42-02/m42swap.pdf

Just so long as you aren't expecting chipped 335i level thrills, it's a fun little box, even stock. Some mini-lite wheels, maybe a clean up, and ditch the US bumpers and it will be all good.

I would guess the car is worth a good bit more, which, based on the collection in the background, I’d guess the seller would know that. I’d go over it top to bottom and drive it before handing over the cash. Neat car though.

Your camera sucks.

I would guess the car is worth a good bit more, which, based on the collection in the background, I’d guess the seller would know that. I’d go over it top to bottom and drive it before handing over the cash. Neat car though.

Your camera sucks.

Yeah- kind of what I was thinking. Judging by the cars in the background, the guy knows his stuff, so why would he be selling it at such a good deal? This doesn't appear to be a grandma that you can take advantage of like typical CR deals (not me).

So this a warehouse downtown Birmingham. Its a place for car guys to store or work on their cars inside. Cars inside were amazing. I didn't take nearly enough pictures, like it would matter anyway Lol. Its $175 a month to store a car and gives you access to a lift. $50 a month to store an engine which gives you four hours on lift use.

The seller has been storing this car for a year @$175. He is losing money every month keeping it. He is willing to cut his losses and move on. He is over 5k in it.