Warm/hot water for winter washing?

zeitgeist57

I've got an electric powerwasher that does a great job for car duties during warmer months. Every winter though, I contemplate getting some Sharkbites and tee-ing up some water lines out to my garage so I can wash - or at least power wash the salt off - of my cars on a more regular basis.

Instead of running a whole new hose faucet, I have also thought about simply splicing a couple valves into the existing water lines in my basement running to one of the existing outdoor faucets, repurposing it to warm/hot water.

Has anyone done this to their home - hot water or hot/cold faucet for winter washing? If I'm running a power washer, can I run straight hot water (105*) or do I have to have some cool water as well?

so if the temp is below freezing, are you really going to be washing your car? Feels like you are just inviting stuff to freeze, even with hot water once you are done washing it, unless you are installing one of those car wash high powered fans in your garage to blow it dry as well.

Also, hitting icy cold windows with hot water is not super great for it.

If you want to wash the salt off the undercarrage I feel like this is the better move:

just do it and then drive the car around for 30 min so stuff doesn't freeze up.

I've got an electric powerwasher that does a great job for car duties during warmer months. Every winter though, I contemplate getting some Sharkbites and tee-ing up some water lines out to my garage so I can wash - or at least power wash the salt off - of my cars on a more regular basis.

Instead of running a whole new hose faucet, I have also thought about simply splicing a couple valves into the existing water lines in my basement running to one of the existing outdoor faucets, repurposing it to warm/hot water.

Has anyone done this to their home - hot water or hot/cold faucet for winter washing? If I'm running a power washer, can I run straight hot water (105*) or do I have to have some cool water as well?

That's what I have. The faucet is inside the garage and yet it's rated for outside use. I wouldn't do it, the splicing creates some funky backflow problem; the hot water line must be kept closed when not in use and that means going back and forth into the basement.

Do waterless. I'll show you how to do a car with less than 2 gals. Zero issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

This Except I use the two bucket method. And yeah when we built the house we had them put hot and cold water in the garage. All they did was add the lines spliced into the othe lines.

I plumbed in a new softener and holding tank in my basement last year. In that corner of the house is where my outside faucet is plumbed for the porch and driveway. I decided to add in a hot faucet for winter car washing. I extended the hot plumbing to that corner and just put in a new faucet next to the cold one. Its awesome! I want to find a Y that I can introduce cold water so that its not 120* but Ive had trouble finding one that doesn't restrict the flow badly. I love it though.

Also a good point. We are building right now and I wanted to talk to the plumber about that issue. Scalding hot doesnt sound great, though I think they make dual knob ones that basically replicate indoor plumbing. Planned to just put it in the garage.

What risk are there with blasting a cold car (glass especially) with hot water?

lots. stick to rinseless and if you need to actually "spray" the solution use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NA7CDPG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's my go-to for rinse-less in my garage offering very fast/efficient coverage and power when needed. great for wheels, etc. Honlestly, nothing beats a $10 touch-less wash or a DIY Spray off prior too.

I use this with 5 gals water to clean both vehicles. I use about 6-8 old beach towels we have had / bought at a garage sales to help keep the floor dry and too much moisture from being released in the heated air. Drop them in a bucket/spin dry, and move on.

I use a modified Gary-Dean method with a handful of 480gsm towels and can finish a single vehicle from trashed to spotless in less than an hour including wheels.

Having a vehicle ceramic coated really helps too ;)