Old head-unit repair?

zeitgeist57

Is there anyone locally that works on old electronics/stereo equipment?

Head unit in a ‘70s car turns on, but hardly any sound to the speakers; I'm wondering what can be done to fix it without resorting to an aftermarket solution. TIA.

Edited by zeitgeist57
I'll just start a new thread...

• 4 months later...

Tear it apart Clay! I'm sure you and YouTube can fix it. Honestly, if it fires up and sound comes out, it might not be that bad to repair. Could just be a potentiometer on the volume knob, or maybe a small internal amp to replace....?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, Shaun - I forgot to mention that Audio Wright was $99/hr with a $75 service charge. So minimum - even if they don't fix it - would be out nearly $100.

I'm leaning towards just doing a Bluetooth amplifier and splicing into the factory speaker harness. However, since I have the stereo out, I may take it apart to see if there's anything visibly amiss. It's definitely old-school enough where there are access panels for bulb servicing.

I'd be very tempted if I were you. I'd also gladly help/watch, lol. I'm no small electronics wizard, but I get into more than my fair share on elevators.

Worst case scenario is, we gut it, make it light up, and install your Bluetooth inside it.

I'd be very tempted if I were you. I'd also gladly help/watch, lol. I'm no small electronics wizard, but I get into more than my fair share on elevators.

Worst case scenario is, we gut it, make it light up, and install your Bluetooth inside it.

I'd take you up on that offer! Although this beast with Bluetooth-connectivity, doe...:megusta:

https://www.amazon.com/Lanzar-Amplifier-Bridgeable-Electronics-Bluetooth/dp/B07KMFJ5C2/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=bluetooth+car+amplifier&qid=1560869395&s=gateway&sr=8-19

Stereo Lab on Indianola

They don't do car stereos either.

It's probably simple enough electronics to open up and look for anything burnt or a bloated cap, etc. Chase the speaker output backwards.

I actually pulled the top off, and did a big NOPE. :lol:

ajuRafxl.jpg

cAKf063l.jpg

There were multiple circuit boards on top of each other, and they were not wanting to be seperated. I was actually quite impressed with how well it was laid out and put together. Clearly, they were stuffing as much current radio tech into a 1.5 DIN stereo size as they could for the 1970s!

At this point, I'm just going to put the head unit back in, and get a Bluetooth amp to play Spotify/SiriusXM (90% of my in-car entertainment, anyway) through the factory speaker locations.

Thanks, everyone!

Edited by zeitgeist57

Did you already upgrade the speakers? They may not live long with that amp, if they're 40 year old paper cones.

Regardless of whether the headunit worked, or I went aftermarket with the source...I would be upgrading speakers regardless. :thumbup: I will need to buy the speakers as I don't have them yet.*

I was very impressed by how well both my '78 Lincoln and my current '01 Silverado sounded when I installed better quality (and newer) aftermarket speakers in the factory locations, but still wired to the stock headunits. Great, crisp sound and decent output considering the power.

*I was at Wal*Mart on Bethel/Sawmill the other day getting some items, when I noticed they redid their automotive section and got rid of nearly all their speakers and aftermarket head units. I wouldn't have bought speakers there, but it tells you something about automotive ICE options when WalMart is getting out of the game. I guess they still sell online, doe...so makes sense that you'd free up shelf space for consumable products that sell and will get restocked quicker than some cheap DIN stereo nobody buys anymore.