SUV advice...

1Quik7

I put my poor SRT10 Ram on the cross to be crucified in the name of an upcoming baby. I finally talked my wife into some more 'modable' albeit expensive SUV's. The current front runners are:

2015 Grand Cherokee Summit (top-of-the-line Hemi)

2013 Yukon Denali(LS3)

Both suck the gas, but respond well to mods(intake,xpipe,exhaust).

The Jeep is far and above more decked out(modern) than the Denali, pano-roof, better infotainment. etc, but the quadra-lift air suspension really worries me and once you start adding all the electronic features; I feel those are the thing that fail. Whereas the Yukon is a GM, parts are cheap, and I'd likely do the repairs myself. I have far more confidence in the reliability of the GM than I do the Jeep.

Any info, opinions, comments, observations?

2013 Yukon Denali(LS3)

It's technically a flex fuel L94 with AFM (active fuel management/4cyl shutoff). It obviously saves a bit of gas but it's not a reliable system, nor cheap to fix. Since you're going to slap an exhaust on there, just know it'll sound like shit while cruising if you don't have it disabled (link to the popular/cheap disabler).

why not just have a daily thats good on gas for the family and a beater weekend toy for funzies that you give 0 fucks about? Either way you do have some great options.

She has a 6spd Kia Sportage that will be her 'beater'. ......I'm hoping the terrible MPG will persuade her to keep miles off the 'baby mobile'. We still have a jacked up dually and a camm'd C5 for the summer :)

Plus I'm not sacrificing my baby(SRT) for a RAV-4, Honda Pilot, or Pacifica. It's gotta be sporty and quick or a complete luxury boat.

'

It's technically a flex fuel L94 with AFM (active fuel management/4cyl shutoff). It obviously saves a bit of gas but it's not a reliable system, nor cheap to fix. Since you're going to slap an exhaust on there, just know it'll sound like shit while cruising if you don't have it disabled (link to the popular/cheap disabler).

Goddamn people pay $200 to shut that shit off, I’ll do it with HPtuners cheaper then that. Or just get it dyno tuned after some mods and have it shut off then.

I agree AFM sucks, but it’s easy to work around, and I’d happily do a mild cam swap and eliminate it all. I think any of those engines are great, but I’m a little biased.

I'd lean towards the Jeep until you have atleast 3 kids. I love that pano roof and they are pretty issue free. We run into tons of issues with the Cherokee and journey but nothing with the grand Cherokee. The 2015's still have the 100k warranty too. The only air ride issue I've ever seen was one that hit a wall so that doesn't really count.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

We had a 2014 Grand Cherokee new, bought it right before our first kid was born. Sold it 20 months later when our second was born. It just didn't feel big enough. Smallest big vehicle I've ever owned, the back seat had no legroom, and the cargo space was unimpressive when you loaded a stroller etc..

Maybe it just wasn't for us, but I'd go with the Tahoe if you're looking for room.

Ours was also the straight 6, so I haven't experienced the V8, but I hope they significantly improve the ride/handling on that model.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Volvo XC90 inscription.

This.

The new Volvos are REALLY nice. If he has to put any miles on it the lack of gas mileage will get to you, trust me!

Yukon is great for "look at my Chrome Donks bro. And Sloppy Mechanics said Ima' China spinni boi away from 1000whp" but as you noted, that's about all they are good for.

I, too, would not trust a Jeep long term. If you get one, get the extended or aftermarket warranty.

Stick with the SRT tradition and get the SRT8 Jeep.. You know you want to..

Hah...hard to find them in that price range. We test drove a 2012 at Germain and it was super janky inside, its been beat. Asking 30k for it, guy even said make an offer and I refused its so beat.

Aren't there some MERC AMG SUVs floating around in the used market? I know the G-wagen AMG is a giant rocket propelled brick but I think they are still very expensive used.

I don't know what AMG ML55s and ML 63's go for but I hear they are good cars and I think the AMG ML63 is over 500hp. I've seen the 2010s go for right around low $20K so it might be in the price range. I think the hard part is finding one.

My wife drives a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. It has been completely issue free in the 26k miles we have put on it. Trailhawk has the same air ride system on the Summit. That is the only thing I wasn't super happy about when she picked that model, but it is hers. Ours only has the v6 but with the 8 speed transmission it is pretty nice. We use it to tow our 4000lb camper no problem. We have talked about once the Gladiator comes out we might trade it in for one.

This.

The new Volvos are REALLY nice. If he has to put any miles on it the lack of gas mileage will get to you, trust me!

Yukon is great for "look at my Chrome Donks bro. And Sloppy Mechanics said Ima' China spinni boi away from 1000whp" but as you noted, that's about all they are good for.

I also LOVE the new XC40s, XC60s, and definitely the XC90s...but the China roots give me pause. I wonder if buying one with 50k on the odo will give you problems???

When I see Chinese cars (Buick Envision, Volvos, Land Rovers) I wonder if they're just really nice-looking lease-specials that won't hold up to 7+ years or 100k miles...or given that so many parts are sourced from China anyway these days if they will hold up.

There is a white one on Kenny rd parked in front of a house for sale for a bit now. Very nice looking cars.

YAAASSS...I see that in front of Nutter's house. Can't believe something that new is literally parked in a front yard with a Wal*Mart "FOR SALE" sign in the window.

I also LOVE the new XC40s, XC60s, and definitely the XC90s...but the China roots give me pause. I wonder if buying one with 50k on the odo will give you problems???

The volvo name badge alone should give you pause, they are now among the 3 least reliable cars made (next to cadillac and Tesla) if consumer reports is to believed. That's not a China Influence, they have been heading that direction for years, even before the chinese bought them.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/volvo-tesla-and-cadillac-worst-in-consumer-reports-latest-reliability-report

When I see Chinese cars (Buick Envision, Volvos, Land Rovers) I wonder if they're just really nice-looking lease-specials that won't hold up to 7+ years or 100k miles...or given that so many parts are sourced from China anyway these days if they will hold up.

Its the chinese cars by CHINESE BRANDS you have to worry about more than known quantities like Buick, land rover, or volvo. Buick's Envision has been a solid performer on par with anything else in it's segment, Volvo is...well...volvo...and if you are buying a land rover for reliability then WTF is wrong with you. Still I would take any of those over a Geely, BAIC, or a Dongfeng.

YAAASSS...I see that in front of Nutter's house. Can't believe something that new is literally parked in a front yard with a Wal*Mart "FOR SALE" sign in the window.

There is a reason for that, and it begins with a V and ends with an O, or as I now call them "Swedish Land Rover/Jaguar".

What about a Durango? I have the pentastar but i love it. You might like the hemi version. It's built on the same chassis as the Grand Cherokee but offers a third row that's fairly usable
I came here to say this. Check out a Duragno R/T or Citadel. Citadel is more luxury and comes in V6 or V8, R/T is V8 only and more performance oriented. They come in 2WD and AWD, but both have the 8 speed transmission.

I'm in the market for the same thing and will probably end up with a Citadel Platinum (2017+).

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

We just bought my wife a 2016 XC90 Inscription. Easily the nicest interior I have ever been in. Feels like a freaking tank, not a squeak or rattle anywhere (48k miles). We will see on reliability - it is CPO and covered for next 2 years. I think they are the best looking SUV out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro