C8 Corvette, 7-18-19

Cordell

I don’t think anyone is getting one sub 60k unless it’s stripped down

Supposedly $55800 is base price, at least that’s the rumor with dealers. If that’s the case I bet alot get ordered for base money, aka sub $60k. They’ll move them at that price too, especially first year when there won’t be much more then color options or Z51.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly $55800 is base price, at least that’s the rumor with dealers. If that’s the case I bet alot get ordered for base money, aka sub $60k. They’ll move them at that price too, especially first year when there won’t be much more then color options or Z51.

$55,800? Wow. Then possible to get a bare bones Z51 for probably a tick over $60k? I dig it.

There are tons of aftermarket companies ready to pay out the nose to be the first to take delivery of this car for development.

It's going to be a race to see who can get power adders to fit, make the transmission live, and find an affordable tuning solution.

There are tons of aftermarket companies ready to pay out the nose to be the first to take delivery of this car for development.

It's going to be a race to see who can get power adders to fit, make the transmission live, and find an affordable tuning solution.

Not only that, but from what I hear, the ECU's are locked down pretty hard to prevent tampering. It's the first vehicle to launch with GMs Global B electrical architecture, as well as several cybersecurity countermeasures. On day 1 don't expect to bolt on a supercharger, swap big injectors, and tune the ECU with HP tuners. It's going to take time, and probably will have to start with piggybacks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Not only that, but from what I hear, the ECU's are locked down pretty hard to prevent tampering. It's the first vehicle to launch with GMs Global B electrical architecture, as well as several cybersecurity countermeasures. On day 1 don't expect to bolt on a supercharger, swap big injectors, and tune the ECU with HP tuners. It's going to take time, and probably will have to start with piggybacks.

I know for a fact it's locked down. GM brought in people from the defense industry from what I was told to make the ECU pretty much impossible to crack.

As for piggybacks, I know that has been on the radar for a few companies, they are just waiting to get a car to start doing R&D on.

I'm not a player to get one of these cars, I don't fall into the target market, but I do like the styling for sure. I think it will be interesting to see what people do with these cars when they get their hands on them.

I just think its funny that so many other cars have come out have gone the auto only route and people are always like " Auto LULZ" and yet this comes out and the same people are losing their minds over it being so amazing.

I know for a fact it's locked down. GM brought in people from the defense industry from what I was told to make the ECU pretty much impossible to crack.

As for piggybacks, I know that has been on the radar for a few companies, they are just waiting to get a car to start doing R&D on.

I'm not a player to get one of these cars, I don't fall into the target market, but I do like the styling for sure. I think it will be interesting to see what people do with these cars when they get their hands on them.

I hear that the vehicle shares its s/w version information with the GM cloud, and the on-board security certificate changes over time, such that the vehicle has to update/request a new/valid certificate from the cloud at some interval. All s/w versions must be "signed."

Of course this is rumor and the exact implementation may be easier to get around for tuning purposes with physical access to the ECU.

Pretty sure Global B architecture started on the 2019 ZR1 and the 2019 Silverados. HPTuners cracked the ZR1 but you have to send them the ECM for them to mod it before it can be tuned, similar to the L5P Duramax. Pretty expensive nowadays to tune new cars, I think it’s $2500 just to have them send you a “tunable” ECM, then add in credits and interface.

I guess I'm ignorant on this part, but why would GM spend so much time and money trying to lock the ECU down so hard? Is it a regulation or liability type of thing? God forbid cars be easier to tune.

Depends on who you talk to and how much they think they know. I'll say this, from what I've been told by those in the industry it is a mixture of regulation and liability.

Depends on who you talk to and how much they think they know. I'll say this, from what I've been told by those in the industry it is a mixture of regulation and liability.

Most definitely. Rumor is with the newer software GM is rolling out for us techs to use it’ll just scan the car regardless and keep records. Not sure how it’ll all work because my dealership hasn’t been changed over to it yet, but the “technician environment” as they call it will be quite a bit different.

Pretty sure that's not true. They may have implemented a different ECU with additional security features, or boot loader, but every module on the CAN bus would have to be changed to support Global B, and that's not something anyone is going to do on a model year change-over or new engine option. It's a huge expense. Also, AFAIK, Global B moves to CAN-FD.

The security measures are multifaceted. You have a desire to lock down the calibration due to emissions regulations. They'll want to prevent warranty fraud. And they need to minimize their cybersecurity risk after several high profile vehicle hacks have exposed safety concerns.

With cybersecurity, keep in mind that GM said this is their first launch that supports Over The Air (OTA) software updates (notice how that coincides with the introduction of Global B and all of these security measures). When you open up the vehicle to allow software to be flashed remotely, you need to ensure only the correct software is able to be flashed.

Pretty sure Global B architecture started on the 2019 ZR1 and the 2019 Silverados. HPTuners cracked the ZR1 but you have to send them the ECM for them to mod it before it can be tuned, similar to the L5P Duramax. Pretty expensive nowadays to tune new cars, I think it’s $2500 just to have them send you a “tunable” ECM, then add in credits and interface.
Most definitely. Rumor is with the newer software GM is rolling out for us techs to use it’ll just scan the car regardless and keep records. Not sure how it’ll all work because my dealership hasn’t been changed over to it yet, but the “technician environment” as they call it will be quite a bit different.
I guarantee they are already scanning vehicles remotely and keeping the records. OnStar has done this as a service for many years.

I like it a lot from the pictures. AutoLOL, yes, but that still wouldn't stop me from buying it.

I'm hoping it drops the prices of the C6 and C7 vettes to let me buy another toy I don't need.

This. I am looking at C6s and C7s now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pretty sure that's not true. They may have implemented a different ECU with additional security features, or boot loader, but every module on the CAN bus would have to be changed to support Global B, and that's not something anyone is going to do on a model year change-over or new engine option. It's a huge expense. Also, AFAIK, Global B moves to CAN-FD.

The security measures are multifaceted. You have a desire to lock down the calibration due to emissions regulations. They'll want to prevent warranty fraud. And they need to minimize their cybersecurity risk after several high profile vehicle hacks have exposed safety concerns.

With cybersecurity, keep in mind that GM said this is their first launch that supports Over The Air (OTA) software updates (notice how that coincides with the introduction of Global B and all of these security measures). When you open up the vehicle to allow software to be flashed remotely, you need to ensure only the correct software is able to be flashed.

You may be right. GM does a good job of keeping us techs in the dark about exactly how it works. So much goes on behind the scenes that I have no access to. I know the vehicles I mentioned are different in terms of scanning and programming but I have not heard of CAN-FN. What is that? Fiber network? I know the C8 will be able to update over the air without the need to bring it in to a dealer so...

Anyway looking forward to learning more about this stuff as training becomes available soon.

CAN-FD is still a 2 wire communication network, like standard CAN. "FD" stands for Flexible Data rate. CAN-FD allows for larger data frames to be sent on a standard CAN infrastructure without stepping up to an ethernet backbone, but requires upgrading the CAN transceivers on every module. The larger data frames also give the option of message authentication across the bus.

CAN-FD is still a 2 wire communication network, like standard CAN. "FD" stands for Flexible Data rate. CAN-FD allows for larger data frames to be sent on a standard CAN infrastructure without stepping up to an ethernet backbone, but requires upgrading the CAN transceivers on every module. The larger data frames also give the option of message authentication across the bus.

Very interesting. Supposed to be going to Vegas for C8 training within the next few months so hopefully I’ll get up to speed.