C8 Corvette, 7-18-19

Cordell

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear that the vehicle shares its s/w version information with the GM cloud, and the on-board security certificate changes over time, such that the vehicle has to update/request a new/valid certificate from the cloud at some interval. All s/w versions must be "signed."

Of course this is rumor and the exact implementation may be easier to get around for tuning purposes with physical access to the ECU.

Mostly true. My brother in law is a senior software engineer (QA/approval) for GM Powertrain and he's echoed much of this. He still thinks it'll get cracked, but it's going to be a lot more difficult.

What's going to be fun is when these things are released in the wild for the general public.

The new Supras are now hitting the streets and shops like Titan and Real Street are already working hard at voiding warranties and doing hoodrat racecar stuff :fuckyeah:

What's going to be fun is when these things are released in the wild for the general public.

The new Supras are now hitting the streets and shops like Titan and Real Street are already working hard at voiding warranties and doing hoodrat racecar stuff :fuckyeah:

As it should be.

Ah, ok. I think it will be harder to crack than the Duramax for the reasons I listed above. Global B is a different animal, and the security provisions in place for FOTA will take some effort. Nothing is un-hackable though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The car seems to be very impressive. Looking forward to seeing some track times and one in person. I did see an article recently stating that the car wont be available in a stick. Is this correct?

Chevrolet responded to Motor1.com saying, “We have nothing more to add beyond re-confirming that the 8-speed DCT is the only transmission offered on the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray.”

There a couple ways OEM's can limit cost on a program in order to control the MSRP. This can be reuse of components, limiting features, and limiting build complexity. With the base price being such a surprise, I expect they killed the manual transmission and predicted that would support enough volume in order to be able to offer the vehicle at a cheaper base price.

I'm also assuming that this reduction in build complexity/possible build configurations is also why they were able to offer more exterior colors and more interior customization.

With the typical model line up being Stingray-> Z51-> Grand Sport-> Z06-> ZR1, and the fact that each model must be have a faster lap time than the one beneath, I don't think you will ever see a manual C8.

There a couple ways OEM's can limit cost on a program in order to control the MSRP. This can be reuse of components, limiting features, and limiting build complexity. With the base price being such a surprise, I expect they killed the manual transmission and predicted that would support enough volume in order to be able to offer the vehicle at a cheaper base price.

I'm also assuming that this reduction in build complexity/possible build configurations is also why they were able to offer more exterior colors and more interior customization.

With the typical model line up being Stingray-> Z51-> Grand Sport-> Z06-> ZR1, and the fact that each model must be have a faster lap time than the one beneath, I don't think you will ever see a manual C8.

Our insider told us that manuals make up around 15% of Corvette sales and the manual segment is pretty much dead from a business standpoint.

Our insider told us that manuals make up around 15% of Corvette sales and the manual segment is pretty much dead from a business standpoint.
Not surprising, especially once they launched the 10 speed auto. Everyone cries about wanting a manual, but no one buys them, which makes it hard to make a business case.

Everyone cries about wanting a manual, but no one buys them...

Not true. Like, 7 old guys on here buy them. Not new of course, but none the less.

Truth be told I prefer a manual but it's hard to deny the newer transmissions perform. Yeah, they make the experience fr different but if it's bad for business and slower all around, well, I can see why they did it. I wish all manufacturers would at least make them available for those folks that do prefer them but in the end it's all about the dollar for them. Shrug.jif.

NB4 NB old truck low HP comment

I think that ECU is going to get cracked a lot faster than people think.

For sure!!

The same ones that program the “uncrack-able” ecu/software are the ones that go home and write codes to crack those “uncrack-able” ecu/softwares. That’s called “job security”.

Not surprising, especially once they launched the 10 speed auto. Everyone cries about wanting a manual, but no one buys them, which makes it hard to make a business case.

Im a manual guy till I die, but it is undeniable that the Autos are the best they have ever been. Fun, fast, and hold power. Even going back to the 09+ CTS-Vs. Look at the Hellcats and even new Mustangs, both with clutch packs can see 1000+ WHP