The 69 Mustang - It better run this year....

Ackbar00

Pulled that all out and got an Edelbrock lid to match my airfilter. Looks good now

PYVkPXo.jpg

Does your carb use a vacuum secondary or a mechanical secondary?

the reason I ask is that those filter tops sometimes fuck with vacuum secondary carbs. I ran one years ago on my GTO and kept having a carb backfire that would jam shut the secondaries. Put the car on a friend's dyno and traced it back to that stupid filter top - carb worked perfectly every other filter or no filter, but as soon as I put that thing on - pop back fire and 2bbl till I could get home and unjam the secondaries.

Otherwise great work.

If you seats are 05, I wonder if you can get 08 bullitt seat covers for them since they were done in a 60's mustang style pattern?

Does your carb use a vacuum secondary or a mechanical secondary?

the reason I ask is that those filter tops sometimes fuck with vacuum secondary carbs. I ran one years ago on my GTO and kept having a carb backfire that would jam shut the secondaries. Put the car on a friend's dyno and traced it back to that stupid filter top - carb worked perfectly every other filter or no filter, but as soon as I put that thing on - pop back fire and 2bbl till I could get home and unjam the secondaries.

Otherwise great work.

If you seats are 05, I wonder if you can get 08 bullitt seat covers for them since they were done in a 60's mustang style pattern?

mechanical - But that is good info to know.

Thats not a bad idea on the seats , Ill have to look into that

• 1 month later...

Well, last post of the year on the Stang. Really have not done much but to try and drive it some. But running pretty well, I did find several things going with it:

1. Shifter almost came off. lol. All 4 bolts were backed up. Think i know why it was leaking trans fluid. Had to cut the shifter hole bigger to get access. Still need to regasket it...

2. All the wheel bearings sounds like they are shot.

3. doors/windows - This is something I might farm out. Would be nice if the windows would roll up correctly.

Other than that, i did make it out to Kil Kare last night. And in typical fashion, they did not disappoint. Only got two passes in.

Best was a 14.02@103.47 2.42 60 ft. lol. Other was a 14.24.

Really has a bad one wheel peel, and spun 2nd pretty bad. Needs a gear as well, never shifted to 4th. Oh, and manual drums are a bit of an effort to stop. I think some gear, timing and fuel adjustments, I can get the trap up a bit.

All in all, was pretty happy it made the progress it did.

if you can get your 60ft time down to 1.8, and the thing to hook with both then you might even touch 12's.

did you swap in the T5 yet? if so, put in a 3.73 rear and a limited slip unit, and get yourself some drag radials and that thing is going to fly....for an old car.

congrats!

Yep, T5. Other than needing a bit more fluid and it grinding a gear here and there, it was been working well.

The debate now is WHAT to do with the rear end.

1. Do I build the 8"? Will it support the power? I don't plan on dragging the car often, maybe a time or two a year. I don't even plan on sticky tires, but you never know.

Looks like that can be done fairly reasonable, would just need axles, which are not easy to find:

https://www.quickperformance.com/Ford-8-Trac-Lok-Posi-Ring-Pinion-Gear-Bearing-Kit-Package_p_20369.html

2. Do I put a 9" in it? Seems very overkill for my setup. I have been looking on Craigslist and what not. The big issue is finding one that will bolt in without having to have it modified. That seems to be when you start spending the cash. Not to mention, Id prolly still have to gear swap it.

3. 8.8 retrofit. Seems like a fox rear is a good candidate, but Id still have same issues as the 9", plus Id have to modify it for leaf springs. Other 8.8 like the explorer bolt in and have 3.73 gears, but they are disc. Now I am talking about changing the brakes and that is mo money.

go the explorer 8.8 route. If you want to use the car like a car, you are going to want the rear disc brakes eventually anyway. less unsprung weight, easier and cheaper to service when they need it, it looks cool and adds resale value, and more consistent braking for when you want to do auto-x or a long road trip with the car.

you don't have to spend all the monies....if you have disc front now, then it's what? a master cyl and/or a proportioning valve on top of the rear disc setup?

Nah, its manual 4 wheel drum :) That's the rub, would never put rear disc on and leave front drum.

I was having a conversation with a buddy who races a fox body and I asked him about ford rears. He mentioned that 1990-1994 Ranger and Explorer 8.8 rear ends run 10" drum brakes, they switched to disc rear in 1995. He told me that if you wanted a drum rear 8.8 you should look for a 1991-1994 explorer 8.8 (the spline count is higher than the ranger axle) with drum brakes and a trak lok because 3.55 and 3.73 gears were the ratios that came with LSD.

personally, I think you should work toward 4 wheel discs, but those rears are cheap (I did a quick search - maybe $200 at most) and you can always upgrade it later. Just wanted to relay the info as an option.