Alfa Romeo Reliability?

PRD2BDF

Alfa's have always been reliable cars. It has been the dealers, or owners, who do not know how to service them that has been the issue you have witnessed as reliability.

That said they are thoroughly modern cars made by Italians, so look at Fiat, which is what they really are, for reliability reports. The last real Alfa Romeo in this country was the Milano from 1988 and the SZ in yurrup.

I test drove one, very nice motor, modern electronics. A little small for a daily (for me) and near impossible for my frame to get in the back seat. Alfa is bringing back the Alfetta sedan which will be larger and the GTV coupe which is rumored to have 600 gas and electric horsepowers.

Something tells me with a screen name like Alfa Turbo, he might be a little biased.

That said, all cars break, unless they sit in the garage and never move they’ll break, even then they rot and break as soon as you drive them.

All I have is hearsay in regards to Alfa, it’s hard to tell how much is true when they aren’t popular and have an old reputation for failure. If they want to sell a bunch of cars they need to follow the Hyundai/Kia method of stupid long warranties so people won’t worry so much about buying on.

Something tells me with a screen name like Alfa Turbo, he might be a little biased.

That said, all cars break, unless they sit in the garage and never move they’ll break, even then they rot and break as soon as you drive them.

All I have is hearsay in regards to Alfa, it’s hard to tell how much is true when they aren’t popular and have an old reputation for failure. If they want to sell a bunch of cars they need to follow the Hyundai/Kia method of stupid long warranties so people won’t worry so much about buying on.

A little biased or EXTREMELY knowledgeable! :) I have owned 6 Alfa Romeo's, both new and old.

Re-read my post, I am not an Alfa fan-boi. The biggest problem with Alfa's then and now is a weak dealer service network.

Full disclosure my daily is a G90.

Has anyone heard or know of anyone that had an Alfa Romeo Giulia? Specifically the one with the turbo 4. Just curious if Alfa still carries that reputation of unreliability.

The only thing reliable about those cars is the continuous depreciation.

A little biased or EXTREMELY knowledgeable! :) I have owned 6 Alfa Romeo's, both new and old.

Re-read my post, I am not an Alfa fan-boi. The biggest problem with Alfa's then and now is a weak dealer service network.

Full disclosure my daily is a G90.

If they were so reliable then dealer service wouldn’t be needed. If it doesn’t break, it won’t need to be fixed. Reliable is the last word I think of when dealing with any Italian machinery.

If they were so reliable then dealer service wouldn’t be needed.

Cars still need maintenance yo.

Reliable is the last word I think of when dealing with any Italian machinery.

True.

I'd like to have an Alfa. If a car is 100% reliable, there is a good chance that it's boring.

I remember a poster I saw years ago:

Ducati ...making mechanics out of riders since 1946..(had to look the date up as i forgot it)

Had a friend who owned a fiat 850 spider in the 70s...i was forever working on that thing

I love the Italian motor vehicles but don't think I'd ever own one

I had two friends with Alfa Spiders in the 90's. One was a 1970's in semi-rough shape and we were constantly working on it in my driveway because he didn't have any tools. The other was a girl whose parents bought her a new yellow one in 1993 and it was always dealer serviced - it ran flawlessly until midway through college when the dealer who had been servicing it said they wouldn't service it anymore because they couldn't get parts. This was in the days before the internet so she traded it away for peanuts.

My experience with the italians is mostly through motorcycles and specifically ducati's. anything 1970's is generally tough. Poor quality materials, poor access to replacement parts, and the tendency for the italians to push it too far to make it high performance and interesting meant breakage. The joke we used to have about working on old 70's bevel ducati's is that they made the bikes like Laverne and Shirley made spaghetti - Take the finest ingredients and throw them against the wall and see if it sticks. I had a 90's 900SS for a breif period and that was in the cagiva era when the italian mentality of "be the fastest/best handling at all costs" gave way to; "we can't sell these things if they ca't stay running". The only issue I had with that bike for the very brief time I had it was wondering when the neck was going to crack due to design defect. My experience with Ducati from 2006 to now has been one of great bike, reliable, stupid little issues like a failed hose clamp and the bike being delivered missing the brake and shift rubbers, and dealing with a supply chain that took forever to get parts, dealers that sometimes screwed the repair, and a near constant fight for warranty work that should have been easily covered.

Everyone I have spoken to with a fiat Abarth 500 has had similar experiences (look for Jewtoys posts on the subject in this forum) - great vehicle when it works, an extra pain in the ass when it doesn't.

If they mad a stick alfa gulia - it would already be fap fodder, but they don't so in my mind I have them filed under "beautiful car that I wouldn't want to own out of warranty".

YMMV