1986 Corvette Project

BuckeyeROC

I've been chatting with you guys about this car, figured I go ahead and log it here.

1986 Corvette with the 230HP L98 (350 TPI) engine with the iron heads (early 86), 700R4 4 speed auto tranny, base model, coupe/targa top, no Z51 package. This car was my Dad's for about the past 10 years, mainly just sat around in his driveway, and was basically given to my daughter from him to be her first car. The only thing I will have in this car is money for parts or any outside labor we may choose later, and my time. This is to be a father-daughter project and we are both really looking forward to it. It will be a great learning opportunity for her (and me in some areas) and provide some quality bonding time and in the end, hopefully a nice first driver.

After going through the car myself and also later with a master mechanic, it needs A LOT of work. The good news is that the motor, tranny, and electrical system seem to be in good condition. My main concerns are to make the car as safe as possible, run/drive well, and be as reliable as a 33 year old car can be. My daughter will mostly just drive the car 2 miles to school and back daily, with some longer trips here and there, I'm sure.

So far, here is the list of parts that we have ordered. I fully anticipate this to change/grow in the future, as things pop up. I'm keeping an Excel file with all parts, seller info, part#'s, prices, etc:

Safety/Misc

-Seat belts 1984-96 Corvette Seat Belts for Coupe, OE Style, Pair (#CO8496-1000) x1 - INSTALLED

-Tail Light Bulb Sylvania LongLife/Tail Light Mini Bulb #2057LL x2 - INSTALLED

-Fuel Sending Unit Stainless unit and rubber boot x1 - INSTALLED

-Fuel Pump Precision Fuel Pump #E16030 (Lifetime Warranty) x1 - INSTALLED

-Fuel Filter ACDelco GF652 Professional Fuel Filter x1 - INSTALLED

-GM Service Manual on CD 1986-87 Corvette GM Service Manual on CD x1 - INSTALLED on PC

-Headlights 2018 New Osram Chips 110W 5x7 Led Headlights x2

Suspension

-Rear U-joints Spicer 1350X (coated caps) #5-3615X x4 - INSTALLED

-U joint strap/bolt set Spicer #3-70-48X x4 - INSTALLED

-Rear Shocks Bilstein #24-192927 x2 - INSTALLED

-Front Struts Bilstein #24-002288 x2

-PST Front Polygraphite Rebuild Kit Front End Kit (26mm sway bar) #FEKPGCHE861 x1

-Inner Tie Rods Moog #EV124 x2

-Steering Rack Boot Kits Beck Arnley 103-2673 Steering Rack Boot Kit x2

-Front Brake Rotors and Pads Power Stop Z26 Street Warrior Performance Kit x1

Engine Bay

-Valve Covers Spectre Chrome Valve Covers 1958-86 Chevy 283-400 Jeg's #865-5258 x 1 set - INSTALLED

-Valve Cover Gaskets Fel-Pro #1628 x1 pair - INSTALLED

-PCV ACDelco #CV774C x1 - INSTALLED

-PCV grommets 1 1/4" x2 - INSTALLED

-Fuel Rail Schrader Valve Core x1 - INSTALLED

-Spark Plugs NGK Iridium IX UR51X #7177 (4 pack) x2 - INSTALLED

-ZIP Corvette 84-88 Hood Open Assist Lower Rods (Pair) x1 - INSTALLED

-Hood Support C4 Corvette 1984-1986E Folding Hood Support

-O2 sensor Bosch 12014 x1 - INSTALLED

-Brake Master cylinder Duralast New Master Cylinder #NM2188 x1 - INSTALLED

-Brake Booster ACDelco 14PB4073 {#19286773} Professional; Reman x1 - INSTALLED

-Brake Master Cylinder Pressure Switch Part #: 290745 (1984-89 Corvette) x1 - INSTALLED

-AC Delete Pulley Dorman #34224 x1

-Serpentine Belt Will measure later

Change ALL fluids

-Oil - Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-30 (5 quarts) and M1 filter - INSTALLED

-Brake Fluid - Flushed/bled with Prestone DOT 4 - INSTALLED

-Have Alignment done

-If time and money allow this year, new paint or wrap and weatherstripping. Would paint same/similar solid yellow with black vinyl stripes.

56317751_310421599654455_6818332647355962251_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram.com&se=7&ig_cache_key=MjAyMjkyODU0ODY1Mzk1OTM4Ng%3D%3D.2

57172646_587282488349331_5610980917785375524_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram.com&se=8&ig_cache_key=MjAyMjkyODU0ODYzNzQxODIwNw%3D%3D.2

Edited by BuckeyeROC

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So first update:

We started the project yesterday.

Goal #1 was to get the new fuel assembly in (fuel gauge stuck on full) with the old fuel pump, which my Dad said was "new", which come to find out was at least 12 years old. After taking out the old assembly, the rubber sleeve on the old pump was flaking off and some of the pieces were laying in the tank. The sock was in horrible condition. Spent time tracking down a local place that had a new fuel pump in stock, drove out to get it, and after fishing a couple rubber chunks out of the tank, put the new assembly/pump in. Buttoned everything up and started her. The car started and idled better than before. I think the fuel gauge should work now, but the car has a full tank (we filled it up on the way home to make sure we'd get here when picking the car up), so we'll see later on, LOL.

Goal #2 was to get the new taillight bulb in, since one of the lights was out. After loosening the rear bumper, looking around, and feeling around, turns out the bulb harness had fallen out of the lens and was sitting back in an area where you couldn't see it. So took about an hour to blindly find the harness and blindly put it back in the lens. But it now works!

That was it for yesterday.

In my experience, dad's tend to think any part they've replaced is "new" regardless of how long ago it was or how many miles are on it. In "dad" speak, new = replaced at some point

Great car to teach the basics of wheeling- the fewer driver aids the better. Get her addicted to power-oversteer then stick her in a manual

I agree. Has a car project with daughter and is tied up all the time with kids activities all the time. Kudos to you sir.

Thank you!

In my experience, dad's tend to think any part they've replaced is "new" regardless of how long ago it was or how many miles are on it. In "dad" speak, new = replaced at some point

LOL, so true, especially the older they are. "I just replaced it" could mean 15 years ago.

Great car to teach the basics of wheeling- the fewer driver aids the better. Get her addicted to power-oversteer then stick her in a manual

Thanks man. She actually wanted a manual when we starting looking for cars, but my Dad decided to let this one go.

Edited by BuckeyeROC

Removed the seats and got the old seat belts out today. Thank God for impact screwdrivers! GM did NOT want those bolts to come out. New seat belts are installed and work great!

Going to leave the seats out for now so that we can get to the brake booster easier later on.

That’s a great project, but if she is just getting her license, a bad choice for a first car. Even at 200 hp or so these cars are not forgiving even in fair weather conditions, not to mention it has the safety features of a go kart. Maybe getting an insurance quote will make it her second car.

That’s a great project, but if she is just getting her license, a bad choice for a first car. Even at 200 hp or so these cars are not forgiving even in fair weather conditions, not to mention it has the safety features of a go kart. Maybe getting an insurance quote will make it her second car.

Those are/were our biggest concerns. As for insurance, it was actually priced about $9 a month cheaper than some modern cars.

Edited by BuckeyeROC

Tonight after work:

-Put the new fuel filter in.

-Also did the passenger side rear suspension parts that needed replaced; both half shaft u joints and the shock. The half shaft really put up a fight going back in, but we got it. Took quite awhile to properly clean up the half shaft too.

Plan tomorrow is to get the driver rear suspension done. Then pull the brake master cylinder and booster, do the valve cover gaskets and O2 sensor while the brake stuff is out of the way. Then install the new brake booster and master cylinder. I'm going to need A LOT of cleaning supplies tomorrow.

Regarding driving in the winter, I drove my '85 equipped with (slightly oversized) winter tires in Columbus winter. IMO, the '86 can be an effective teaching tool (with proper tires) for such driving condition when traction limits are approached and exceeded.

Also, when changing the fuel pump, did you see if there was water pooling in the bottom of the tank?

Regarding driving in the winter, I drove my '85 equipped with (slightly oversized) winter tires in Columbus winter. IMO, the '86 can be an effective teaching tool (with proper tires) for such driving condition when traction limits are approached and exceeded.

Also, when changing the fuel pump, did you see if there was water pooling in the bottom of the tank?

Thanks man. Snow tires will be put on and if the roads are really bad, she can still take the bus.

We still had gas in the tank.

Very cool, project. I have an 87 and been through some repairs of it. I bought my mine from from my father in law around 20 years ago. My is mostly original and the repairs I have done where the normal maintenance items. My 87 has around 68,000 miles on it, how many miles are on yours? Seems like you have a heavy list on the do list.

Very cool, project. I have an 87 and been through some repairs of it. I bought my mine from from my father in law around 20 years ago. My is mostly original and the repairs I have done where the normal maintenance items. My 87 has around 68,000 miles on it, how many miles are on yours? Seems like you have a heavy list on the do list.

Nice! Looks like you have a little bit of everything, nice collection. 86k miles on this one. Some of the things we are doing are more of a "while we have it apart" type thing, since she will daily it. Others are just me wanting to try to make it safer. Really it NEEDED a new fuel sending unit, half shaft u-joints, valve cover gaskets, and the AC compressor leaks. The seat belts worked on and off, so that was a NEED to me. The taillight harness had fallen out and was must fix. And the brake master cylinder JUST started leaking into the booster. My Dad isn't really a car guy, so it definitely needed some work.

Finished up the driver half shaft u-joints and shock this afternoon. Had her do a bit more than usual today, she is learning quickly and getting into it! Break and pizza time. Edited by BuckeyeROC

Well, it didn't go as planned tonight. Decided to tackle the valve cover gaskets tonight. OF COURSE, the valve covers are COVERED in silicone where the gasket was. Tried a few different techniques to get it off, but it is SLOW going. Need a new approach. We are spending more time cleaning parts than turning wrenches, but we're making progress.

Taught her how to change/gap spark plugs tonight, too.