Whisky

Robochan

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like it in an old fashioned

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

FYI...the bottle you posted in your picture is the AE "Finished Rye", so it's basically their rye whiskey finished in rum barrels. If you haven't had it, you may, or may not enjoy regular AE as it's finished in Port wine barrels.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone going to be in Western Ohio and stopping by a liquor store? I would send money and a bit extra for your time if someone could pick me up a couple bottles of Angels envy rye.

It's only available in the Dayton, Cincinnati, Xenia area.

Is anyone going to be in Western Ohio and stopping by a liquor store? I would send money and a bit extra for your time if someone could pick me up a couple bottles of Angels envy rye.

It's only available in the Dayton, Cincinnati, Xenia area.

I'm in Dayton and Cincy for work a few times a month. PM me your number and I'll text ya what I find.

I've bought a bottle or two on my journeys. I'll keep an eye out and snag whatever I can whenever ya want.

Is Oki 12 year really worth spending 350?

Not a whiskey person, nor have I had that one, so I can't really offer direct advice. So, take this with that grain of salt.

I think the easy answer is, of course not.

Is any bottle of liquor really 'worth' that?

If you have the money and that's where you want to spend it, by all means please do. But I think you're probably well beyond the point of diminishing returns.

I have had quite a few bottles of vodka, rum and gin at increasing price levels. I've personally bought and have/had ~$100 bottles of Vodka, Rum and Gin. As well as one $250 bottle of rum, and many lower cost bottles. I've done significant experimenting with what ingredients to use for our favorite cocktails at lower price points.

Most of the ~$100 bottles were better than the $250 bottle, and all of the $100 bottles were better than any $50 bottle I've had, which were mostly all better than most $30 bottles I've had.... Of course there are always some exceptions, and baring some outlier you'll usually get better for more money. The sweet spot for most of these for me has been around $40~60 range. That's where you get some really quality stuff, but are still getting a good value. You start to get some phenomenal stuff around $100, but not worth twice the price. Past that the value pre incremental dollar spent just goes out of the window. This has been almost universally true across the spectrum of vodka, rum and gin. I can't imagine that the economics in the world of other liquors is that much different.

TLDR:

>$40, some great outliers, especially for mixing specific drinks. Can be kind of dependent on what you are making, and your taste.

$40~$60, daily driver for drinking straight(ish), or high octane cocktails where the flavor of the liquor is the primary star.

$100ish, special occasion, really good stuff.

Over $100, too much diminishing incremental value.

I'm happy to be proven wrong if you offer me a drink of something outside of these ranges to change my mind. :p

Patiently waiting for someone with deeper pockets to be a snob about my price points.

Edited by Trouble Maker

I kind of agree with that assessment. There are a select few bourbons/whiskeys that break the mold and those being on the cheaper end. We've reviewed a few on the show that when tasted blindly folks have guessed cost WAY more than they do. For the most part though I'd say you're not far off on you assessments and that's in my very unprofessional opinion.

No bourbon or whiskey is worth $350 unless you just want to tell others/show off how much you spent on a bottle of something you plan to ingest.

I really need to figure out the import laws coming back into the US (from Japan if that matters), to start to get some things here you can't really get back in the US.

One of the big things is, does it have to be factory sealed? We've only got about 7 more months here so I don't want to go crazy, buy a ton, open many up to have a few drinks, and not be able to bring them back.

Is there some hard limit, or do I just have to pay tariffs over that, which would be 100% OK.

Any suggestions on whiskey? My wife as well as a few close friends like whiskey and that's obviously a thing here.

They have a pretty strong Gin scene, so that's probably mostly what I'll pick up here.

I'm also going to order a bottle of Cardorna Gin. I got some while I was in NZ and love it, but I don't think you can order it in the states and you can here.

Of course we will get some Sake while we are here too; but that is such a rabbit hole I don't even know quite where to start.

Edited by Trouble Maker

I'm not sure on the bringing things back. A contractor we use takes a months vacay every year and travels the world with his wife. A couple months ago they went all over europe or something. He brought back a bottle of Del Winnie that is fantastic but no clue what he had to do to get it here.

I have a lot of suggestions on whiskey. I think I've listed them here. We're now on episode 76 and have reviewed a bourbon or whiskey nearly every episode. Sometimes we do a beer or rum and once we did moonshine, but I have a lot of opinions. LOL

What price point are you talking? You thinking bourbon? A rye whiskey? Just anything in a certain price point not to exceed x amount of doll hairs?

I have a lot of suggestions on whiskey. I think I've listed them here. We're now on episode 76 and have reviewed a bourbon or whiskey nearly every episode. Sometimes we do a beer or rum and once we did moonshine, but I have a lot of opinions. LOL

What price point are you talking? You thinking bourbon? A rye whiskey? Just anything in a certain price point not to exceed x amount of doll hairs?

Anything from Japan, that I can't (easily?) get here. The point is to bring it back, not to get anything here I can get over there. Ease of drinking and approachability are important; none of the people I imagine drinking this with or gifting any too are smoky-peat freaks. I did get a bottle of Eagle Rare the other day, but that was mostly for here; saw it in stock somewhere and I guess it can be hard to find in the US (Ohio)?

We will probably get quite a few bottles, so price is always a factor. But, we likely won't have an opportunity like this again so we can splurge. Within reason we are trying to not have money limit us while we are here, realizing that we will spend quite a bit this year. Use my above #s as an idea of what we might be willing/targeting to spend e.g. $50ish or bellow all day, $100 is OK for a few of something special. The gin from Cardrona and Benizakura below will be in that ~$100 range and I will 100% get those while I'm here.

For example in the Gin world, these two are on the list so far.

A few from https://kyotodistillery.jp/en-GB/

And a bottle of this https://dekanta.com/store/benizakura-9148-gin/

I also plan to order a bottle of Cardrona gin since I can get it here and I don't think they distribute to the US.

But, I need to branch out and try more!

Edited by Trouble Maker

Look it up on the TSA website. You have a hard limit you can bring back.

I typically bring a Pelican case with me and foam if I know I’m bringing back rare bottles/whiskeys

We get a sizeable shipment back, so carrying isn't an issue.

I've tried to look it up, but the info is not so clear.

CBP does says 1 liter, I don't buy it. I brought back ~8 (750ml) bottles one time. :lolguy: It was 2 bottles of alcohol and the others were wine, so maybe that was why it was ok. Maybe you meant CBP? I don't know why the nudie scanner, weenie touchers would care about how much alcohol I have.

Then TSA maybe says 5 liters, for 24%-70%abv.

I live here, am on assignment for a year, so I'm wondering if the rules are different.

I had to follow the same 3 bottle limit into Japan as if I were hand carrying in. But we could go over and just pay $x/bottle depending on type of alcohol. Clearly NOT the same since it is 2 different countries, just using it as an an example.

I'm in Dayton and Cincy for work a few times a month. PM me your number and I'll text ya what I find.

I've bought a bottle or two on my journeys. I'll keep an eye out and snag whatever I can whenever ya want.

Thank you sir, pm sent.

Anything from Japan, that I can't (easily?) get here. The point is to bring it back, not to get anything here I can get over there. Ease of drinking and approachability are important; none of the people I imagine drinking this with or gifting any too are smoky-peat freaks. I did get a bottle of Eagle Rare the other day, but that was mostly for here; saw it in stock somewhere and I guess it can be hard to find in the US (Ohio)?

We will probably get quite a few bottles, so price is always a factor. But, we likely won't have an opportunity like this again so we can splurge. Within reason we are trying to not have money limit us while we are here, realizing that we will spend quite a bit this year. Use my above #s as an idea of what we might be willing/targeting to spend e.g. $50ish or bellow all day, $100 is OK for a few of something special. The gin from Cardrona and Benizakura below will be in that ~$100 range and I will 100% get those while I'm here.

For example in the Gin world, these two are on the list so far.

A few from https://kyotodistillery.jp/en-GB/

And a bottle of this https://dekanta.com/store/benizakura-9148-gin/

I also plan to order a bottle of Cardrona gin since I can get it here and I don't think they distribute to the US.

But, I need to branch out and try more!

Buy all the Blanton Black Label bottles you can over there. You'd make a mint flipping them here. (Save one for me as a thank you for this tip. ;) )

Sorry if this has been covered before.. but is it possible to buy bourbon online? I thought it was "illegal" to have it shipped into Ohio. My wife keeps talking about how she wants to buy her boss some bourbon and she found some online that she says she can buy? Just wondering what the deal is on that. I know I bought some Japanese Whisky online from overseas a few years ago without any issues but I didn't think you could buy state to state.

Sorry if this has been covered before.. but is it possible to buy bourbon online? I thought it was "illegal" to have it shipped into Ohio. My wife keeps talking about how she wants to buy her boss some bourbon and she found some online that she says she can buy? Just wondering what the deal is on that. I know I bought some Japanese Whisky online from overseas a few years ago without any issues but I didn't think you could buy state to state.

Depends on where the store is located. Some states allow it, some don't.