Whisky

Robochan

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cut back on my drinking significantly but I when I do drink I prefer wheated bourbons. My favorite is probably OYO or.. as its called now "Middlewest Wheated Bourbon. Its local so its always available. I enjoy Makers as well, obviously. And as Brad mentioned BH is good for the price and typically easy to find.

This is a good thread, yes I enjoy bourbon went on a trip on the trail a few months ago and invited with another group to hit it again in July. You need to go to Indy/Kentucky for the good stuff like Blanton, Eagle Rare and Angels Envy cause the supply in Ohio is very limited. For the record Opa in Delaware has a great bourbon selection and the Lizardville does too for the dine in places. Edited by RS69

This is a good thread, yes I enjoy bourbon went on a trip on the trial a few months ago and invited with another group to hit it again in July. You need to go to Indy/Kentucky for the good stuff like Blanton, Eagle Rare and Angels Envy cause the supply in Ohio is very limited. For the record Opa in Delaware has a great bourbon selection and the Lizardville does too for the dine in places.

Looks like I’ll be going on the Urban trail in July too. From what I’m reading Louisville is one of the worst places to get the rare stuff.

Looks like I’ll be going on the Urban trail in July too. From what I’m reading Louisville is one of the worst places to get the rare stuff.

There are many options like the Liquor Barn in Louisville to pick up Angels Envy/Buffalo Trace and maybe Blanton’s. I picked up my Blanton at a small store in Louisville and paid quite a bit for it. The best tour in my opinion is the Buffalo Trace Distillery, no cost to attend and free samples. I also like Woodford Reserve and Bulleit Tour and bourbon, which are easy to find in Ohio.

I use to have good success in LV but it's been years. As stated the Liquor Barn is the way to go.

I'm a classic Jack Daniel and Coke guy. Doing the bourbon trail and buying a bottle from every tour stop.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Know what you like.

Today on my way home I was listening to Mike Rowe's podcast. He did a pretty interesting episode on the story behind Jack Daniel's. Don't worry...it's only 8 minutes long. :lol: It was really interesting to me.

So while I was working today I also realized that Jungle Jim's is REAL close to one of my sites outside of cincy. I almost went. Would have had I more time. I'll def be swinging by. I've never been but have heard good things.

• 4 months later...

Was just in KY this past weekend and figured i would bump this back up as i had a couple questions. While there I was able to pick up a bottle on my wanted list including Willett Pot still and Rye. Didn't have any luck on the family estate 7 year. The liquor stores there were crazy. I was able to find some HTF bourbon if i wanted to pay 10x what it should cost. Mostly Weller black, white, blue labels for $250+ pending which one.

Has anyone tried to negotiate with them on the prices they have?

I'm not on FB but had my wife join the BSM. aside from them is there any good 2nd sites/ forums that are worth joining?

Was just in KY this past weekend and figured i would bump this back up as i had a couple questions. While there I was able to pick up a bottle on my wanted list including Willett Pot still and Rye. Didn't have any luck on the family estate 7 year. The liquor stores there were crazy. I was able to find some HTF bourbon if i wanted to pay 10x what it should cost. Mostly Weller black, white, blue labels for $250+ pending which one.

Has anyone tried to negotiate with them on the prices they have?

I'm not on FB but had my wife join the BSM. aside from them is there any good 2nd sites/ forums that are worth joining?

I heard BSM was shut down recently on Facebook. Is it still running?

I would join COB (Central Ohio Bourbon) and OBL (Ohio Bourbon Lovers). I'm on both and I think that would be your best bet to find someone willing to do a trade/sell.

Anymore a lot of the more specialty bottles are extremely hard to find without a Kentucky road trip. Also TIMING is everything. Find out when their allocation comes in and goes for sale, for most Liquor Barns they come in Friday and go on sale first thing Saturday morning. If you are there more than an hour after open most places will be sold out of the "good stuff"

Managed to snag 2 bottles of Eagle Rare this weekend while I was doing a quick down and back to the lake but they were the last 2 in the store and I got them by pure luck. My bar at home is... disgustingly well stocked especially for someone who seldom drinks at home. But hey, the collecting and huntin is part of the fun!

Anymore a lot of the more specialty bottles are extremely hard to find without a Kentucky road trip. Also TIMING is everything. Find out when their allocation comes in and goes for sale, for most Liquor Barns they come in Friday and go on sale first thing Saturday morning. If you are there more than an hour after open most places will be sold out of the "good stuff"

Managed to snag 2 bottles of Eagle Rare this weekend while I was doing a quick down and back to the lake but they were the last 2 in the store and I got them by pure luck. My bar at home is... disgustingly well stocked especially for someone who seldom drinks at home. But hey, the collecting and huntin is part of the fun!

Do you want to part with one of those ERs?? :lol:

To add, Giant Eagle does their weekly releases every Saturday morning, so prepare to stand in line. Also keep an eye out on OHLQ.com for updated inventory. It's a little slow, but at least it exists.

Yea the bourbon craze is ridiculous. I'm going back to more every day bourbons that are easy to get. However, I have had good luck finding everything i have gone after so far but Blantons. I'll keep searching and one day I'm sure I'll stumble upon one at a reasonable price.

Picked up a handle of Weller at Giant Eagle in Reynoldsburg last Saturday. They had several handles and probably 2 cases of 5ths. I didn't look around too much but they seemed to have a pretty good selection. A lot better than my local kroger.

I wish I liked Bourbon more, but I just can't get into it. I've had a few that I liked, but mostly stick with Canadians and blends.

Best bourbon I've had would be select, surprising caramel for the abv:

fa2d4f59abbc26d045dd592e21bef94b.jpg

Blantons, Eagle Rare and Weller Reserve sits on the shelf here in Nashville.

Skip the kiddie shit and get into some Blaums, OKI, anything age stated MGP and Willett

Lol!