Whisky

Robochan

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've bought booze online, should I not be doing that? Just got a package this week.
Please pm me from where, unless you're talking beer and wine. Everyone says they can't ship to Ohio.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Technically illegal to ship any liquor into Ohio, I would assume this also covers any kind of transportation like hand carry.

Ohio's liquor is a single supplier state run agency; every bottle you see in the state on the shelves is brought in and distributed by them.

You can look up the list theoretically ever available in Ohio. Maybe this list is currently available? https://www.ohlq.com/products/

If you are looking for something not common, maybe it's not on there.

So, if it's not on the list, and you can't bring it in (by shipping or even hand carry); it's de facto technically illegal to even have it in Ohio.

Maybe if they fixed the shitty antiquated single (state run) supplier issues we wouldn't need to think about shipping anything in.

I've ordered online before, but my last order was ~1.5 years ago. Last order might have been from https://www.internationalwineshop.com/ I'll try to remember to look up where later, but I don't have access to my personal email at work to check it. Generally I find what I want, then do a google (shopping) search to find it; then you can see if they ship to Ohio. Other way around seems backwards to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I doubt the state is going to or has time to give any care about an individual ordering a reasonable amount for personal consumption. It would probably be another story if you started running a side business and also showed up on their radar somehow. They may be able to attack it at the (internet) supplier or shipping level if they chose to focus on this issue. So maybe that's happening now, why people are having a hard time finding anywhere that will ship to Ohio.

Depends on where the store is located. Some states allow it, some don't.

I could see that having an effect; whether that state allows business to ship out of state. Regardless of that it is illegal by Ohio lawas to ship any Liquor into Ohio.

Edited by Trouble Maker

It's not illegal to buy from out of state/country and drive/fly it back to Ohio.

Glad to hear that it's not as draconian as my expectation.

Only illegal if you get caught. ;)

:thumbup: Order away, that law is dumb if they can't get a proper supply chain in place that you can actually get what you want.

Thats what I told her.

Her co-worker claims to have purchased several bottles from http://www.maxliquor.com and they've been delivered successfully.

Looks like they are in CA.

:confused:

Ordered and have received a tracking number.

[emoji1696]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Again, I want to combat the whole “no whiskey is worth 400 bucks” thing. Over time your palate will become developed to the point where you crave higher-end complex bourbons and or bourbons that hit those higher end notes.

So, for the guys drinking EHT, eagle rare, Blantons, etc... just you wait...

Again, I want to combat the whole “no whiskey is worth 400 bucks” thing. Over time your palate will become developed to the point where you crave higher-end complex bourbons and or bourbons that hit those higher end notes.

Don’t you shit talk Blanton’s... :lol:

Patiently waiting for someone with deeper pockets...

Again, I want to combat the whole “no whiskey is worth 400 bucks” thing.

I'm not going to say that you were definitely the one I was thinking of when I wrote this... but you were definitely in the top 2. :p

200.webp?cid=790b7611dab3f3144ba0bc7c06dd97a8a1e59bfd5db2f53e&rid=200.webp

Don’t you shit talk Blanton’s... :lol:

I feel like Aladdin when I sing “I can show you the worrrrrrld”.

But only when your palate is ready. In order to take the leap you would need to begin to think that Blantons/ER/ElmerTLee lack body/taste/strength. If you ever end up feeling that way please let me know.

I'm not going to say that you were definitely the one I was thinking of when I wrote this... but you were definitely in the top 2. :p

Welp, My whole thing is this... at a certain point there are going to be bourbons that just don’t “scratch the itch” anymore. And like I said, it typically happens when 2 things occur.

Thing 1: you get to knowing your palate and you begin to be able to say “this tastes like ______” when you sip. This takes 2-3 years in my experience.

Thing 2: after thing one has occurred, you taste a whiskey that blows your mind and have sensory overload via body and intensity. At this point you will begin to dislike basic stuff.

The positive caveat here is that you can get “daily drinkers” (cheaper alternatives) to 400+ dollar bottles. They may not be on the shelf, but... you can get them for 50-100 bucks on secondary. They will help ease the pain of not having the life-changing bourbon budget.

In reality now. I can say... that I have tasted bottles in every price category (0-100, 100-350, 350-800, 800-2000, 2000-5000, 5000-10,000, 10,000+) and there is a huge difference when you leave a category for the next (assume you have an expert progressing you with the right/worthy bottles). But, it all goes back to “thing 1”. Your palate has to be at a point where it’s possible to note the differences.

Final note, the bottles I’ve tasted that were 10k+ are out if my league. And, I could be “almost as happy” for about 1200. I would say that split (1200-10,000) has more to do with rarity than taste/quality difference. And, to the 1200... I can show you bottles that cost 550-600 that are 95/100ths of the 1200 dollar bottle.

Bottle example breakdown:

10,000+ = Older “rare/epic” Willett stuff (iron fist, Doug’s Green ink, red hook rye, velvet glove)

5,000-10,000 = Older “epic” Willett bottles (typically wheated Bernheim) (Aged truth, C43a, c5d, b58, etc)

2,000-5,000 = high end Willett from the B/C barrel family, Van winkle green glass, Stitzel Weller Van winkles, Michters 20yr.

800-2000 = certain BTAC depending on source (example: 2009 William Larue Weller). Older high aged KBD bottlings, and, a slew of Willett bottlings where the juice was sourced from Brown Forman and Heaven Hill. Bookers Rye. Also, pappy 15.

350-800 = 2019 King of Kentucky, Russell’s Reserve 2002, some of the more-basic Willett 12-14 year offerings. 2017 GTS. Any WLW that fits the price category. Some of the jap release Wild Turkey high end bottlings.

100-350 = Four Roses small batch LE, Blaum brothers Old Fangled Knotters picks and batches (MGP), Blantons SFTB, Smooth ambler picks (MGP).

0-100 = Chattanooga Whiskey Single barrel barrel proof (MGP), Jack Daniels Barrel proof picks, Old Weller antique picks, Knob creek picks (some are 13-15 years old, for 43.99!!!), Russell’s Reserve picks. Four roses barrel strength picks,

I think we are saying the same thing.

At the ~$600 bottle that you are saying is 95% of as good as you can get, you've already been at the flat part of the curve for a while.

I want to know where the knee is... not actually expecting you to answer, that's just where I personally want to live if my budget allows it.

I think you were also saying basically the same thing about the daily drinker $50~$100 bottles; maybe a slightly different price point, but in the same ballpark.

I think we are saying the same thing.

At the ~$600 bottle that you are saying is 95% of as good as you can get, you've already been at the flat part of the curve for a while.

I want to know where the knee is... not actually expecting you to answer, that's just where I personally want to live if my budget allows it.

I think you were also saying basically the same thing about the daily drinker $50~$100 bottles; maybe a slightly different price point, but in the same ballpark.

Kind of, because... my palate isn’t as developed as others. As my palate develops even more I may raise the bar. I have friends that refuse stuff that I’d happily gobble up and their reasoning is that it’s “boring” compared to some crazy bottle.... which is just one of many crazy bottles they own. Maybe a little of it is for the rarity. But, they are consistent in what taste profile they chase (Bernheim rye, Bernheim wheated bourbon).

Also keep in mind. I’d be happier drinking the 1200 dollar bottle than I would the 600 dollar bottle (because I have the two in my head) and I’d be willing to pay the 1200 if I could find it for sale.

In that case^^^ the 1200 bottle is Willett #761 and the 600 dollar bottle is 2019 King of Kentucky.

Welp, My whole thing is this... at a certain point there are going to be bourbons that just don’t “scratch the itch” anymore. And like I said, it typically happens when 2 things occur.

Thing 1: you get to knowing your palate and you begin to be able to say “this tastes like ______” when you sip. This takes 2-3 years in my experience.

Thing 2: after thing one has occurred, you taste a whiskey that blows your mind and have sensory overload via body and intensity. At this point you will begin to dislike basic stuff.

The positive caveat here is that you can get “daily drinkers” (cheaper alternatives) to 400+ dollar bottles. They may not be on the shelf, but... you can get them for 50-100 bucks on secondary. They will help ease the pain of not having the life-changing bourbon budget.

In reality now. I can say... that I have tasted bottles in every price category (0-100, 100-350, 350-800, 800-2000, 2000-5000, 5000-10,000, 10,000+) and there is a huge difference when you leave a category for the next (assume you have an expert progressing you with the right/worthy bottles). But, it all goes back to “thing 1”. Your palate has to be at a point where it’s possible to note the differences.

Final note, the bottles I’ve tasted that were 10k+ are out if my league. And, I could be “almost as happy” for about 1200. I would say that split (1200-10,000) has more to do with rarity than taste/quality difference. And, to the 1200... I can show you bottles that cost 550-600 that are 95/100ths of the 1200 dollar bottle.

Bottle example breakdown:

10,000+ = Older “rare/epic” Willett stuff (iron fist, Doug’s Green ink, red hook rye, velvet glove)

5,000-10,000 = Older “epic” Willett bottles (typically wheated Bernheim) (Aged truth, C43a, c5d, b58, etc)

2,000-5,000 = high end Willett from the B/C barrel family, Van winkle green glass, Stitzel Weller Van winkles, Michters 20yr.

800-2000 = certain BTAC depending on source (example: 2009 William Larue Weller). Older high aged KBD bottlings, and, a slew of Willett bottlings where the juice was sourced from Brown Forman and Heaven Hill. Bookers Rye. Also, pappy 15.

350-800 = 2019 King of Kentucky, Russell’s Reserve 2002, some of the more-basic Willett 12-14 year offerings. 2017 GTS. Any WLW that fits the price category. Some of the jap release Wild Turkey high end bottlings.

100-350 = Four Roses small batch LE, Blaum brothers Old Fangled Knotters picks and batches (MGP), Blantons SFTB, Smooth ambler picks (MGP).

0-100 = Chattanooga Whiskey Single barrel barrel proof (MGP), Jack Daniels Barrel proof picks, Old Weller antique picks, Knob creek picks (some are 13-15 years old, for 43.99!!!), Russell’s Reserve picks. Four roses barrel strength picks,

Kind of, because... my palate isn’t as developed as others. As my palate develops even more I may raise the bar. I have friends that refuse stuff that I’d happily gobble up and their reasoning is that it’s “boring” compared to some crazy bottle.... which is just one of many crazy bottles they own. Maybe a little of it is for the rarity. But, they are consistent in what taste profile they chase (Bernheim rye, Bernheim wheated bourbon).

Also keep in mind. I’d be happier drinking the 1200 dollar bottle than I would the 600 dollar bottle (because I have the two in my head) and I’d be willing to pay the 1200 if I could find it for sale.

In that case^^^ the 1200 bottle is Willett #761 and the 600 dollar bottle is 2019 King of Kentucky.

I look at it like food, could i sit there and eat PBJ all the time, sure, but there are times when i want a nice steak. Same with bourbon. Not sure ill get to a point when my daily drinker is $300+ bottles but who knows. I feel I'm in a good position with the under $100 range and now looking to expand.

I'll have to keep an eye out for those that you listed. A willett 6ish year doesn't make your $100-350 list?

I enjoy nice things but I also enjoy liking things that aren't really expensive. I like that I like $50 half gallons of Weller. Im ok with not wanting $300 bottles. but... I do like trying new/different things so there's that. Wifey bought me a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean aged at sea. Im pretty excited to try that out. I dunno if its supposed to be good or not.

I look at it like food, could i sit there and eat PBJ all the time, sure, but there are times when i want a nice steak. Same with bourbon. Not sure ill get to a point when my daily drinker is $300+ bottles but who knows. I feel I'm in a good position with the under $100 range and now looking to expand.

I'll have to keep an eye out for those that you listed. A willett 6ish year doesn't make your $100-350 list?

I’m not a huge fan of Willett’s own (bourbon) distillate.

I feel like Aladdin when I sing “I can show you the worrrrrrld”.

But only when your palate is ready. In order to take the leap you would need to begin to think that Blantons/ER/ElmerTLee lack body/taste/strength. If you ever end up feeling that way please let me know.

If you’re sharing, I’m ready. :thumbup:

Yeah, but I'm not paying $1200 for a steak when I know of a $20 steak that is phenomenal (Ale Steak at Smoky Mountain Brewery) and can easily enjoy a $50-100 steak.

I've seen too many "professionals" in every industry that have been lol worthy in blind taste tests. Sure, there is a big difference, and maybe I'm just a simpleton, but I'd be willing to bet that most folks can't tell the difference, at least not every time, between a $100 bottle and $500 bottle. Hell, I'd bet there's some in the $20-50 range that would fool most.

I just don't by it. I'm not saying I know better. I'm not saying I know anything really. I'm not saying I have a sophisticated palette because I simply don't. I just don't buy the hype and even if a bottle IS better at a $1k price range to ME PERSONALLY that's an absurd amount to spend on any beverage. Again, please not that as I type this I'm not disagreeing or saying anyone is right or wrong. These are just my personal feelings on the subject.

I enjoy nice things but I also enjoy liking things that aren't really expensive. I like that I like $50 half gallons of Weller. Im ok with not wanting $300 bottles. but... I do like trying new/different things so there's that. Wifey bought me a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean aged at sea. Im pretty excited to try that out. I dunno if its supposed to be good or not.

Jefferson's Ocean Voyage 3 was my absolute favorite bourbon I've ever tasted, even over far more expensive ones.

I'd be down to try higher end bourbons. I would even be willing to chip in some cash for a tasting. If I hit the lotto I might buy a single $1k bottle once to try it but I just can't see it. Maybe my taste isn't mature enough but I've tried prob over 300 bourbons/whiskeys easy and I've found that taste is 100% subjective and price point, for my money, is a poor indicator of quality.