Standalone-izing LS harnesses

Rally Pat

PB- I’m confident that you could do all this yourself. It’s especially easy if you’re using a 411 PCM. I can always walk you through anything that gets out of your experience level and help you get a base tune in it.

Gen 3 4.8, 99 i think, DBC, wanted to cut the harness down to just the bare minimum to run in a manual transmission application.

The Terminator X is incredible value for everything that you get, which is why I have been considering it.

Gen 3 4.8, 99 i think, DBC, wanted to cut the harness down to just the bare minimum to run in a manual transmission application.

The Terminator X is incredible value for everything that you get, which is why I have been considering it.

Yeah that should be a 411 PCM. Granted I’ve been playing with this stuff a long time and already have HPTuners and EFILive so maybe I’m biased, but if you’ve already got a stock harness and PCM you won’t have really any cost in it, just time. It’s hard to get beyond the limits of the stock computer anyway.

I pick it up on Saturday morning after being ghosted last weekend on an aluminum DOD 5.3 (drove all the way to West Salem only for the dude to never show up and stop responding to messages).

I really don't care what engine I end up with as long as it runs, and this one comes with a 4l60e that I can sell if anyone is interested.

The Temi X is an unreal value. As atuner, I cant tell you how many issues I run into due to old shitty wiring and connections. Not even a year ago people where paying over 1k for a nice harness. Now, you get a new harness, Stand alone ECU, and fuse box for $999. NUTS

The Temi X is an unreal value. As atuner, I cant tell you how many issues I run into due to old shitty wiring and connections. Not even a year ago people where paying over 1k for a nice harness. Now, you get a new harness, Stand alone ECU, and fuse box for $999. NUTS

...and a display (with option to get the fancy big ass one), a real Bosch wide band, self tuning features, multiple inputs, and a clear zero effort upgrade path if you ever outgrow it!

It really is hard to beat if you are like me and haven't already invested in HP Tuners. That said, I am not 100% sure what I am doing yet.

We've got a few possible projects at work where the Terminator X might be used. Don't be surprised to see Holly roll this out for other engine platforms soon.

We've got a few possible projects at work where the Terminator X might be used. Don't be surprised to see Holly roll this out for other engine platforms soon.

They have said that they plan on offering it for other platforms soon, starting with Coyotes and Hemis.

They have said that they plan on offering it for other platforms soon, starting with Coyotes and Hemis.

Yep. I talked with the head of their Sniper EFI program about everything that's going on and coming. They are really ahead of the curve on all of this and how scalable it will be.

I can't talk about everything but I will say there is going to be a massive push with these systems that will change the engine swap game for every platform. There are some very smart people that work at Holley and the COMPCams group that are working on some really cool stuff. The next generation of FAST EFI is going to be pretty wild with what it has to offer too.

I still maintain that HP Tuners is a hilarious ripoff. We are close to accessible open source tuning for GM ECU's, and they will pretty much instantly be irrelevant at that point.

Open source? Maybe on older stuff, newer GM (like Global B) it isn’t going to happen. There are a few things out there already but lacks the abilities of HPTuners software. I personally don’t mind spending a few bucks because TunerCats and LS1edit suck. EFILive isn’t bad on the older stuff but they’ve fallen behind on newer stuff, and I’ve run into situations where it wouldn’t tune something they said it would. I used to love EFILive, and their tuning software is easy to navigate, but the scanner sucks, support is lame, and doesn’t work nearly as well as HPTuners when you get into multiple vehicle platforms.

HPTuners is one of a few tuning new L5P Duramaxes, and the only one to break the 2019 ZR1 so far. They stay on top of it, don’t think you’ll see them go away any time soon. Open source or simpler aftermarket options will hurt their business but as for GM tuning they’ll be the one to survive.