4L60E - shift kit installation?

zeitgeist57

My '01 Silverado has ticked 84k miles, and as I've had it for more than 1.5 years and put close to 8k miles on it, I'm realizing the one fluid circuit I haven't touched yet is the automatic trans. It's running fine, but there is a persistent rattle that sounds like a flexplate. I'll have to pull the trans to get that fixed, so I'm considering getting the fluid/filter changed as well.

- Has anyone ever installed a shift kit? I've seen dozens of videos over the years with guys taking the valvebodies out, drilling little holes for the steel balls and replacing the tiny springs...never done it myself because I'm proud to say I haven't had too many automatics aside from our Odysseys.

https://www.amazon.com/4L60E-4L65E-4L70E-Transmission-Rebuild/dp/B00B5H7ZRS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=4L60+shift+kit+transgo&pd_rd_r=c3608c8c-cac7-4c1f-b2cf-d2181fc7d271&pd_rd_w=UtDbC&pd_rd_wg=GZNgk&pf_rd_p=59f9fe0c-f23e-4cfc-a058-a740164e1168&pf_rd_r=1SVV493JH8P85E0150QR&qid=1561471055&s=automotive&sr=1-1-catcorr&vehicle=2001-47-491-20--31-6-7-1306----145--&vehicleName=2001+Chevrolet+Silverado+1500#customerReviews

- "Corvette Servos" seem to be what people also talk about replacing to firm up the shifts. Anyone do that as well on a 4L60?

https://www.amazon.com/WCT-700R4-4L60E-Corvette-Servo/dp/B0081H7E58/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Is it worth the effort? I'm not expecting better performance, but if it makes the trans a little bit smoother/firmer and at least guarantees better life behind a 4.3L V6, then I'm happy to do the work. Wanting anyone's feedback on doing this mod...

Don't be stupid. Yes change the fluid and filter. Just have the computer tuned to bump pressure and shorten shift times (If you want me to do it, it'll be cheaper then a shift kit). A shift kit in this situation is dumb.

Yes I've put shift kits in, iirc most if not all 4L60s behind LS engines had the "Corvette" servo in them as standard, maybe yours isn't because it's a 4.3 truck. Putting new parts in an old trans is like remodeling the kitchen in a condemned house. Don't waste the money.

Don't be stupid. Yes change the fluid and filter. You are a moron. Just have the computer tuned to bump pressure and shorten shift times (If you want me to do it, it'll be cheaper then a shift kit). A shift kit in this situation is dumb.

Yes I've put shift kits in, iirc most if not all 4L60s behind LS engines had the "Corvette" servo in them as standard, maybe yours isn't because it's a 4.3 truck. Idiot. Putting new parts in an old trans is like remodeling the kitchen in a condemned house. Don't waste the money.

Install a shift kit. The most expensive one I can buy.

GOT IT

:gabe:

Thank you, Scott! Your GM expertise is succeeded only by your deft touch with words. :lol: Didn't even know the computer (PCM? TCM?) could be tuned.

The 4L60 in my truck has increased line pressure / quicker shifts via tuning not physical parts. I'm sure it's helped it last while doing towing duty, but in regular driving what it's done is shift hard enough to first brake the flex plate and then break the front transfer case.

Tranny is still hanging in there though at 230k miles

The 4L60 in my truck has increased line pressure / quicker shifts via tuning not physical parts. I'm sure it's helped it last while doing towing duty, but in regular driving what it's done is shift hard enough to first brake the flex plate and then break the front transfer case.

Tranny is still hanging in there though at 230k miles

Funny thing, the first thing I ever broke in my Camaro was the flexplate. Sounds like it may have been tuned a little aggressive, but GM's flexplates from this era suck anyway.

I installed a TransGo HD2 kit in my 4L80E on the C10. Id never touched a trans before. It was slightly intimidating but I worked through it. I love it! Buttttt, I also have a stand alone controller for it so I can adjust things to better fit my needs. But right out of the box it was pretty good. It barks the 295mm tires 1st to 2nd when WOT but shifts only slightly firmer than stock when at light throttle. Oh and this is on an unknown mileage $300 junkyard trans. No regrets. I dont know how different the 60e vs the 80e is though internally.

I installed a TransGo HD2 kit in my 4L80E on the C10. Id never touched a trans before. It was slightly intimidating but I worked through it. I love it! Buttttt, I also have a stand alone controller for it so I can adjust things to better fit my needs. But right out of the box it was pretty good. It barks the 295mm tires 1st to 2nd when WOT but shifts only slightly firmer than stock when at light throttle. Oh and this is on an unknown mileage $300 junkyard trans. No regrets. I dont know how different the 60e vs the 80e is though internally.

Process for any shift kit is basically the same, change some springs, check balls, modify some fluid passages. A 4L60 is a totally different trans then a 80, so the process will only be similar, but instructions are really good with most of these kits.

I’d bet you could find an SFI flex plate from jegs or summit cheaper than a stock one from the dealership.

I agree completely with Cordell. There’s no need for a shift kit anymore. You can make them shift exactly how you want with the tune.