Recommend a good beach.....

2 Sweet

Preferably in the NC area. 4-6 adults, no kids, 2-3 nights. Thinking a condo or airbnb, nothing fancy, but something with close proximity (walking distance) to the beach, hopefully a couple decent bars/restaurants close by. Probably not in the outer banks, don't care about being isolated so what's the point. Low budget. Definitely want something cheaper than Myrtle Beach, for example.

It doesn't have to be a super nice beach, just not rocky or trashed since I'm sure we'll be swimming in the ocean. Not concerned about attractions or stuff to visit, we basically just plan on drinking a lot and bumming on the beach.

A few suggestions I've received but haven't done much/any research myself yet.....

Carolina Beach

Emerald Isle

Ocean Isle Beach

Beaufort, NC

Wrightsville Beach

Trying to stay in North Carolina, but we might consider as far north as Virginia Beach or as far south as Myrtle Beach. I've been to Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach before and liked it a lot, but I wasn't old enough to drink at the time and we were camping, so I have no idea how pricey or cheap it might be to rent a place by the beach for the weekend.

Suggestions? :cool:

Its not your location's your asking about but heres my recommendation

Bethany beach deleware, its 20 minutes from ocean city md) but completely away from the crowd and craziness of ocean city. We go every year and love it. Private access to the beachs. Tons of condos that could be rented. Clean beaches not crazy busy and under 9 hour drive.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1036&pictureid=9331

Edited by Paul

Stayed at Carolina Beach and had a good time. Good walkable beach, and you can drive on it if 4x4 which is cool. Also let's you take your cooler and all your shit for all day. Also had very decent shelling if you/your party are into that. Not a ton of other attractions nearby, but several good restaurants and bars.

Specifically Google the fat pelican, which has a full size refrigerated semi truck trailer attached to the bar which you can walk in and choose your next beer and an interesting vibe overall. I'd go back if I wanted a short trip/relatively cheap but solid beach trip.

Its not your location's your asking about but heres my recommendation

Bethany beach deleware, its 20 minutes from ocean city md) but completely away from the crowd and craziness of ocean city. We go every year and love it. Private access to the beachs. Tons of condos that could be rented. Clean beaches not crazy busy and under 9 hour drive.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I liked Ocean City when I was there (specifically Seacrets, which was one hell of a good time) but I wouldn't want to stay there more than a night or two, so it's nice to have a recommendation for a good beach to stay in the nearby area.

Holmes Beach.

Holmes Beach (FL) or do you mean Holden Beach?

Stayed at Carolina Beach and had a good time. Good walkable beach, and you can drive on it if 4x4 which is cool. Also let's you take your cooler and all your shit for all day. Also had very decent shelling if you/your party are into that. Not a ton of other attractions nearby, but several good restaurants and bars.

Specifically Google the fat pelican, which has a full size refrigerated semi truck trailer attached to the bar which you can walk in and choose your next beer and an interesting vibe overall. I'd go back if I wanted a short trip/relatively cheap but solid beach trip.

Very nice! Solid suggestion, thank you :thumbup:

Virginia beach is way cooler than Myrtle, but still super touristy. It's cheaper though.

I went to Myrtle with a bunch of friends about 10 years ago, it was fun, but a little on the expensive side for what it is IMO.

I've never been to Virginia Beach. I don't really care about touristy or not since it'll only be for a weekend and I'm sure I'll be drunk the whole time anyway. I just figure the touristy places are the most expensive. Growing up, my family went to Clearwater Beach (FL) every year and I loved it, but it's become wayyyy too popular over the last 10-15 years and too damn expensive.

It's a cool place to visit at least once. It's touristy on the strip, where literally the only shirts you can buy say VIRGINA BEACH on them, but go a few blocks West to plain-janeville and it's not bad. Check out a bar called Murphy's sometime. Obvious Irish pub, but they have fun local bands and a sick kunt beer selection.

A close friend got married in Ocean Isle a few months ago. It was ok, not too bad.

Every year my mother-in-law gets a beachhouse in Corolla, NC and a bunch of us go we always have a good time. Its very touristy so lots to do. Did parasailing last year and ATV (side by side's) off roading this year. And of course there's the beach and places to eat etc..

My brother stayed in Duck, NC just south of Corolla and he really enjoyed it. Seems like it was more geared towards smaller groups/families and very neighborly so you'd be able to find a rental or AirBNB there for sure.

Have you looked into anything yet? I thought the standard was one week rentals not sure if you run into an issue trying to find something for just a few days? If you could find a BNB thats NOT on the coast they're significantly cheaper.

I know you said you'd prefer no Outer Banks but I didn't really feel like we were all that secluded at all. As long as you're not staying North of Corolla where you have to drive on the beach to get to your house.

I'm going to go the typical CR route and suggest something slightly outside your list/requirements. You should consider Charleston, SC. You mentioned Myrtle, and though Charleston is further south, the drive is the same time (highway routes).

Great beaches (we stay on isle of palms), lots of cool history, and lots of great restaurants and bars.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I've been going to Holden yearly since 2007. Love it there, tons of families, but we basically just sit on the beach and drink all day till about 2pm and then we head back to the house due to the heat. Its "busy" season is like Myrtle Beach in Febuary, its never crowded and very chill.

Have you looked into anything yet? I thought the standard was one week rentals not sure if you run into an issue trying to find something for just a few days? If you could find a BNB thats NOT on the coast they're significantly cheaper.

I know you said you'd prefer no Outer Banks but I didn't really feel like we were all that secluded at all. As long as you're not staying North of Corolla where you have to drive on the beach to get to your house.

Haven't looked into anything yet, but I'm sure that will be a deciding factor as far as where we end up. One week minimums seem like they are the norm but I think it depends on the time of year and location. This trip won't be happening until next year anyway, so I have plenty of time to look into it but I have a feeling my options might be limited.

I'm going to go the typical CR route and suggest something slightly outside your list/requirements. You should consider Charleston, SC. You mentioned Myrtle, and though Charleston is further south, the drive is the same time (highway routes).

Great beaches (we stay on isle of palms), lots of cool history, and lots of great restaurants and bars.

Isle of Palms is great. Same with Sullivans Island. If I could just go there, bum around, and eat at Poes Tavern for every meal I'd be in heaven.

Good suggestions, and close enough to NC that I will definitely consider them.

I have a buddy who lives near Charlotte and he will be joining us wherever we end up, which is why I'm trying to keep it in NC, but it's not a big deal if we stray a bit further.

I've been going to Holden yearly since 2007. Love it there, tons of families, but we basically just sit on the beach and drink all day till about 2pm and then we head back to the house due to the heat. Its "busy" season is like Myrtle Beach in Febuary, its never crowded and very chill.

Right on. I like the sound of that :cool:

Here's what I'm planning, just for a little context…..

It's basically just a bachelor weekend with a few buddies, either next spring or next fall. We would be leaving from Columbus on a Wednesday morning, heading down south and staying the night in Knoxville. Wake up Thursday morning, head east through the Cherohala Skyway to Charlotte where our friend lives, crash there Thursday night. Check out the Hendrick Motorsports race shop Friday morning since he lives right by it, then head east to whatever beach rental we decide to book. Stay there Friday night, Saturday night, probably Sunday night. Drive home Monday.

That's the plan, as of now

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just got back from Isle of Palms this weekend actually. While there we went to Charleston a couple times as it is only ~30 minutes away. IoP I would say is more family orientated and would look to stay closer to Charleston or maybe Mt. Pleasant if you go this direction.

My wife and I said we would absolutely want to go back to the Charleston without the kid. Food there was amazing, couple bars we went in were very fun. My brother and I did do a 4 hour fishing charter and had a blast ($450 for 4 hours+Tip). I was told that Charleston is turning into the new Nashville for bachelorette parties so i would guess the weekend night life would be good. From what I noticed it seemed the prices were more on the expensive side when we would go out compared to the last time I was at MB.

I forgot to mention, I've been to Topsail as well. We spent a day there the same time we went to Wilmington and Wrightsville. We must have picked the right day because there was barely anyone else around, and the waves were pretty strong. Fun time, nice beach.

Just got back from Isle of Palms this weekend actually. While there we went to Charleston a couple times as it is only ~30 minutes away. IoP I would say is more family orientated and would look to stay closer to Charleston or maybe Mt. Pleasant if you go this direction.

My wife and I said we would absolutely want to go back to the Charleston without the kid. Food there was amazing, couple bars we went in were very fun. My brother and I did do a 4 hour fishing charter and had a blast ($450 for 4 hours+Tip). I was told that Charleston is turning into the new Nashville for bachelorette parties so i would guess the weekend night life would be good. From what I noticed it seemed the prices were more on the expensive side when we would go out compared to the last time I was at MB.

Thanks, good info. I've been hearing good things about Charleston from a lot of people. I definitely want to check it out sometime

I visit all the beaches from pawleys island SC to Wrightsville nc weekly. If your interested in natural beaches stay in NC. The SC beaches are for the most part repaired constantly to keep them perfect for the hotels and are devoid of most sea life.

I really like the atmosphere of the downtown Myrtle Beach area when I want to go swimming or be entertained. The other areas are full of very annoying old people. With some research you can find great prices but it does get harder in the middle of the season. If you have any specific questions I might be able to help.

Topsail has never had a large crowd. My BiL was stationed on Lejuene for 8 years and we'd visit at least once a year. Always a low population and clean beaches. That's why I love it so much.

I've never been to Tybee but my aunt and uncle are there right now. They go down about twice a year and want to move there within 5. It's their fav and they've been up and down both coasts and take about 2 cruises a year. In the states they love Tybee the best.

Sandbridge beach just south of VA beach. We go there for 2 weeks every year. Leaving the 12th for this year's trip. It's pretty much exactly what you described. There's really no shops there...just a couple places to buy beach type stuff so not touristy at all. Way less crowded than VA beach especially through the week. It's about 20 minutes to VA beach so my wife and daughter to up there for the day to get their shopping fix. With 3 kids we do alot of stuff and usually hit the beach in the late afternoon....we have vast stretches of it to ourselves or with very few people around during the week.

This was last year.

bP2oKzg.jpg

Virginia beach is way cooler than Myrtle, but still super touristy. It's cheaper though.

I agree with this.

The whole VA beach area is pretty cool. As mentioned, Sanbridge beach is nice a little more private/peaceful. Chic's beach is north, by the bridge, also a little less touristy than the main VA beach. Speaking of the bridge, it's one of the longest bridges in the country/world, you can take that all the way up to Chincoteague for a nice day trip.