College Football Thread 2019

Mitch

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting take.

Anyone else?

umm not quite. I was on a full scholarship then a partial at a smaller school... never once worried about food or being homeless. If I wanted to have extra night time money, then I knew I needed to suck it up and work some hours. I worked 20 hours a week, practiced 4-7 hours a day, and took 18+ hours of college credit for 3 years year round. It's doable. No different than a non-athlete with a child who is a full time student and works a full-time job. Just as with school teachers... if an athlete is that unhappy with the payment they are receiving then choose a different job. problem solved.

Good for the NCAA to agree to allow student to receive payment for services outside of the school. Stil unreal that system is allowed today. Just imagine the blow back if you replace term "athlete" with "minority" or "refugee" and see how fast things would change due to the pc world of today.

Interesting take.

Anyone else?

If it allows them to finally make another college football video game, then I guess I'll support it. I mean it's not like these student athletes will be earning paid salaries. But if Nike wants to pay a kid some kind of endorsement for a commercial, or kids get a piece of the pie from their jersey sales, who cares?

Yup. 2 loss Florida is #10 above undefeated Baylor and Minnesota, and 1 loss Cincy, Memphis, Boise St, Wake Forrest, SMU, SDS, and Navy.

As they should be. Florida's only losses are against the #1 and #6 teams in the country.

Minnesota LOL. All those teams you mentioned would get smoked by any team currently in the top 10. This anti-SEC nonsense from you OSU homers is getting old. Shit on Florida and Georgia all you want, but they would both have their way with Michigan or Wisconsin.

Otis, you forgot to mention Appalachian State.....how could you leave them out? 7-1 record in the prestigious Sun Belt conference, with their only loss coming against perennial powerhouse Georgia Southern!!!! They should be ranked in the top 10!!!!!!

As they should be. Florida's only losses are against the #1 and #6 teams in the country.

Minnesota LOL. All those teams you mentioned would get smoked by any team currently in the top 10. This anti-SEC nonsense from you OSU homers is getting old. Shit on Florida and Georgia all you want, but they would both have their way with Michigan or Wisconsin.

I knew you'd bite. :gabe: :lol:

I'm not anti-SEC. I'm anti-preseason rankings. I also think Clemson is primed for an upset. I mean, honestly it could happen to ANYONE but 'Bama and the rest of their little cousins (of which they are married) definitely benefit the most annually.

Also I'm not 100% certain UF would "have their way with" either team mentioned. I'd def favor them but any given saturday...

They just have not impressed. I haven't "shit on" either team. I just said that game exposed both of them and neither looked elite. That's the reality.

You can call me a homer. I am not. I'm a realist. In the past I have called for tOSU to lose games. Sometimes I've been right, others I've been wrong. Que sera, sera. Saying, "you're a homer," is a cop out.

Of course I was joking about all those undefeated and 1 loss teams. Simmer. :)

Otis, you forgot to mention Appalachian State.....how could you leave them out? 7-1 record in the prestigious Sun Belt conference, with their only loss coming against perennial powerhouse Georgia Southern!!!! They should be ranked in the top 10!!!!!!

:lolguy:

Hey, they beat a TTUN team that would "have their way with" UGA or UF. :gabe:

As a Florida fan, I'll be the first to admit they are not a great team. It's kind of sad when your backup QB (Kyle Trask) is wayyyyyy better than your injured starter (Feleipe Franks). They can't run the ball for shit, I don't know the stats but I wouldn't be surprised if they are ranked in the 100's in rushing offense this year. Their defense isn't great either, mainly because our coordinator has no idea how to stop an opposing offense on third down.

That being said, Florida beat Michigan 41-15 last year, for whatever that's worth :D

I just don't get the SEC hate. I mean I hate them all (besides Florida of course) and can't stand seeing Alabama on top. But if any conference deserves two teams in the playoffs, it's the SEC. They are the only conference with more than one great team, and still the most competitive conference there is.

One thing is clear to me......LSU and Ohio State are the two best teams in the country.

As a Florida fan, I'll be the first to admit they are not a great team. It's kind of sad when your backup QB (Kyle Trask) is wayyyyyy better than your injured starter (Feleipe Franks). They can't run the ball for shit, I don't know the stats but I wouldn't be surprised if they are ranked in the 100's in rushing offense this year. Their defense isn't great either, mainly because our coordinator has no idea how to stop an opposing offense on third down.

That being said, Florida beat Michigan 41-15 last year, for whatever that's worth :D

I just don't get the SEC hate. I mean I hate them all (besides Florida of course) and can't stand seeing Alabama on top. But if any conference deserves two teams in the playoffs, it's the SEC. They are the only conference with more than one great team, and still the most competitive conference there is.

One thing is clear to me......LSU and Ohio State are the two best teams in the country.

I basically agree with all of this. I disagree with 2 SEC teams being worthy but time will tell. I wouldn't be shocked at this point though.

So this is a big weekend for the sec...yes in lower case...bama and lsu

Here is my prediction..if bama wins close,they move back to 1 and lsu 2 as they will say lsu was beat by the #2 in a close contest

If bama wins in a rout lsu drops to 4 because they were beat by the now #1

If lsu wins close bama drops to 3 and in a rout to #4

There is an sec bias, but look at the schedules and there shouldn't be

So this is a big weekend for the sec...yes in lower case...bama and lsu

Here is my prediction..if bama wins close,they move back to 1 and lsu 2 as they will say lsu was beat by the #2 in a close contest

If bama wins in a rout lsu drops to 4 because they were beat by the now #1

If lsu wins close bama drops to 3 and in a rout to #4

There is an sec bias, but look at the schedules and there shouldn't be

I def agree with this.

Clemson or Bama?

Clemson might end up not playing a single ranked team (ranking at the end of the regular season) until the playoff. Wake Forest is Clemson's only opponent still hanging on in the rankings right now at #22. That's crazy.

While I think some teams in the SEC tend to be overrated often, Bama and LSU are both legit this year and the conference overall is still good. There is a difference between being good and having some teams being overrated IMO.

No thoughts on the paid players yet?

Mixed thoughts. As a former student-athlete and college football fan in general, I can see both pros and cons.

Just my random thoughts:

-The student-athletes have it pretty good overall. Nice facilities, some nice things to help throughout your day here and there. They do a MUCH better job of it now than they did decades ago. But yeah, unless your parents were rich (most aren't), you are still just like any other poor college student. You had to rely on your parents or summer jobs to pay for things beyond a place to eat and sleep and school itself. The thing that most people don't realize is the demand on their time. If anything, I think they need more down time, rather than more money. My typical day in college went something like this:

6:45 AM Wake up and get ready - almost never a breakfast

7:30 AM 1st class starts at the opposite end of the oval from the Towers (where all freshman HAD to stay first year)

12:30 PM Finish last class and head over to the training facility while trying to find 5 minutes for lunch

Sometime starting between 1-1:30 PM had to lift weights and/or watch film/study football/get taped up and dressed for practice

4:30 PM Warmups for practice began

7:30 PM Finish practice

8:00 PM Team dinner

9:00 PM Mandatory study hall at first, less often if continued to get good grades. If no mandatory study hall, you still had to go to dorm and study yourself anyway.

11:00 PM Get tired of homework try to fall asleep

Repeat

Almost never any down time from 7:30 AM to 11 PM at night. Could have ALWAYS used some extra time to study more or just relax. Oh and "voluntary workouts" mean if you ever want to see the field, you should probably be there. The "Only 20 hours a week on your sport" rule is nice in theory, but kinda doesn't actually get limited to 20 hours.

-I don't think colleges paying student-athletes directly would be a good thing

-I do think athletes making money off their likeness and signing autographs and such is a good thing. BUT this is what gets tricky. Because you KNOW if this rule goes completely unchecked, you'll have car dealerships and such in Tuscaloosa or even Cbus paying a kid a TON of money to do commercials as long as they sign with Bama or OSU type programs. There has to be a way to limit something like this where super rich donors can just sign enormous checks to recruits to do "endorsements" as long as they play for certain schools. Could you imagine someone like Phil Knight paying a few top rated recruits a TON of money each year AND putting them in Nike commercials/ads as long as they come to Oregon? I don't know the answer here, maybe some type system where things and amounts get approved through the schools and NCAA itself. There is A LOT to think and work through, and no matter what they come up with, it WILL be tested and abused by some programs.