Can someone please explain

Geeesammy

#lincolnproblems

Best decision ever was getting rid of the Navigator. Over 11k paid out by the warranty company the 1 year we had it. While I loved the vehicle over all, I did not like the fact it rarely left the dealerships service dept.

Guessing it was a turd with air ride and all the bells and whistles

Customers bring stuff like that in constantly for a PPI to us, we basically say “well here is an average repair bill on one so let’s this help in your decision before you waste $80 with us to say it’s junk and the buyer doesn’t want to budge on price or fix crap”

what Tim is trying to say is that over tightening the lug nuts would cock the stud slightly, leading to a slight out of balance like vibration which would prematurely wear out the bearing. the amount of force needed to do that in any meaningful way however is well beyond the yield threshold of most lugs - or in other words you'll snap a lug before you cock it out of place enough to damage a wheel bearing. you can however warp brake rotors by over tightening.

you can however over-tighten an axle nut and wear out a wheel bearing right quick, but that's a different situation.

what Tim is trying to say is that over tightening the lug nuts would cock the stud slightly, leading to a slight out of balance like vibration which would prematurely wear out the bearing. the amount of force needed to do that in any meaningful way however is well beyond the yield threshold of most lugs - or in other words you'll snap a lug before you cock it out of place enough to damage a wheel bearing. you can however warp brake rotors by over tightening.

you can however over-tighten an axle nut and wear out a wheel bearing right quick, but that's a different situation.

You are correct sir. Not claiming to be a tech. Doesn't pay enough. Was was operating off emotion. They indeed broke a stud and fucked up the wheel. The brakes are indeed being done and the bearing is toast. what's related to what, I don't care. Dealer is covering it all. Aviator is a sweet ride and it's a fantastic loaner in the mean time. They know how to up-sell that's for sure.

Note to self....drive the wife's car now and then because she doesn't notice even the obvious signs that something is wrong. Ugh...

Mis-torqued wheels will definitely cause warped rotors. Over torqued lugs could potentially break wheel studs, although that should happen before it's driven on, they usually snap off from being loose and driven down the road.

Now if a wheel bearing wears out very quickly from either of these situations, either it was worn already, or a shitty design. Are you saying Ford has a shitty design? If so that makes sense to me.

I could see that. A non hubcentric wheel not installed perfectly balanced. It would have to be harder on the bearing than normal, especially on an already shitty design.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Are you saying Ford has a shitty design? If so that makes sense to me.

Haha! Don't know. Overall, it's a great car that makes the wife smile but it's no better in terms of quality than any standard Ford. We didn't choose it because of that so we're good. Lincoln does treat us better though. That's a big part of why we got one. Same with my car. The car is Meh....but when it fails like everything else, they exceed the way Audi treated me by light years.

Shots fired?

I’m not claiming to be a tech either, too many arguments from “real technicians” for me.

:lol:

I thought this was some random dude but Grant tried to call out a CR member then the board was like, "yeah...that's a thing."

Popcorn.jif

"yeah...that's a thing."

Popcorn.jif

You do realize it's ".gif" as well as the odds of having a stretched or bent lug making your wheel bearing go bad are FAR lower than having an out of balance wheel make it go bad, right?

Techs dont make a killing, but not everyone will need a photographer or detailer everyday....

A non hubcentric wheel not installed perfectly

I've yet to see an OEM wheel not be hubcentric or use shank style lugs to "make" it hubcentric.

An aftermarket wheel on your shitbox isn't a failure on Fords part, its a failure on yours