Panhandlers / Beggars? Tips and Stories

ShowHBK

I was getting coffee this morning at the Kroger on Karl and Morse road and this guy approached me asking for $3 and a gas can so he could get home. I did not entertain him at all and basically said "I don't carry cash" and walked away. As I was ordering my coffee, I could see him still in the parking lot asking every person he could for money (most likely with the same story) and some people actually were giving him a few dollar bills. After he had collected what looked like almost $15 and a gas can from someone, I figured he would just leave, but I was wrong. As I was leaving Kroger, I noticed that He then walked up to this Dodge truck and hugged the guy who had just parked there. They exchanged some words, a cigarette, and I even watched him pull a bunch of bills out of his pocket and hand them to the guy. They both even pulled out their cell phones and texted some people. I snapped a few pictures of the two and the plate of the truck before I left and sent them to Columbus Police.

TL;DR - Dishonest panhandler being a dishonest panhandler

So, My question to CR is... Do you guys have any tips for dealing with people who are obviously begging to take advantage of people? Any ways to troll them back or make them feel bad? or does CR have some good stories of other bad / dishonest Panhandlers?

Honestly, in 2019, how is the "I need money for gas" story still a thing?

Give them a quarter and tell them to call someone that cares.

JK. I never give money at gas stations as I don't believe that scam...but I will always give a buck or two if they have a dog with them because I feel bad for the dog even if they are full of shit. Or, I will run and grab them 2 McDoubles. I also give a buck every Thursday to the guy with no legs outside of Chase corporate...because he has no legs and it's a buck.

-Marc

You can usually tell who really is in a bad position. I've bought those people meals in the past and they are grateful. It's the ones that just want the cash will usually get nothing more than a shrug.

Worst one was a lady getting belligerent at the Dublin Kroger several years ago because no one wanted to give her gas money. Yelling, throwing stuff from her purse. Pretty sure she got arrested.

There are some professional panhandling couple around Sawmill/161 all the time. I've heard that the male's father is a big-time lawyer in town, but I haven't cared to look into it. I'm sure people on here have seen them before. I think the woman was pregnant for like 2 years.

I think the woman was pregnant for like 2 years.

There is a duo on the Northland side that consists of a fake amputee and a pregnant woman. I saw the "amputee" stand up from her wheelchair, suddenly grow a leg, and get into her Cobalt in the Menards parking lot. Her healing factor rivaled that of Wolverine!

Never saw any panhandling on Polaris until this year,1 on old state and another in front of the Polaris mall...at least their dressing up to suit their environment /s

We always ask where do they live?

where I come from when you beg on the street you don't have a car to drive back home with.

so, what are you going to do? follow every one to see if they are legit or "scamming"? Most shelters can provide a free cell phone to homeless so just having a cell phone isn't an indicator they are scamming. Most homeless people have friends and family too, and some of them have cars, so just talking to someone with a car isn't scamming either, and many of them have surrogates that pay bills for them, so seeing money exchanged isn't necessarily a "scam" either. Also some have chemical dependencies, are you sure you weren't watching a drug deal?

Here is my take on it:

If they are legit homeless - your life is already better than theirs so show them some compassion and empathy and treat them like a human being.

If they are scamming people by pretending to be homeless - well normal well adjusted people don't do this sort of thing so your life is already better than theirs so show them some compassion and empathy and treat them like a human being.

I can tell you from personal experience, don't give cash to anyone asking for money. Most homeless can get meals, clothes, and a cell phone through charitable organizations and assistance programs, so any cash money you give them probably goes directly to any kind of vice they might have and not to improving their overall welfare.

If you really feel like you need to offer something, offer to buy them food, a cup of coffee or water, or ask if they need a blanket. When I used to drive a lot, I used to run into rubber tramps (homeless living out of their car), and would often offer to put gas in their car or buy a hot meal rather than give cash. I have had people decline the offer, and I have to wonder if it is a scam or not, because a scammer might not have much use for a sandwich or a cup of coffee. Either way, sometimes just having someone to talk to improved things. Don't put gas in the gas can. Gas in a can is a commodity that can be sold, gas in a car means if they really intend to "resell" it, they are going to have to siphon it out and that is work (and often means they get a mouthfull of gas).

As for calling the cops: most laws criminalize the homeless and it can often make their lives worse (yes worse than living out doors). Leave that for the karen's of the world. remember you are dealing with downtrodden people who are sometimes desperate (even if you think they are scamming), so unless the person looks violent or unstable, it's better to leave them be.

final note I will give you, always size up the situation. Don't make eye contact (because they will approach you) and if the person looks unstable, maybe think twice about engaging beyond "I can't help you" or "sorry I don't have any money". Most homeless are harmless, but there are some who are desperate, mentally ill, or chemically dependent - all which can manifest in violence. your personal safety is paramount.

Sorry no ones giving me money. Go earn your own. If you are that disabled to stop that there are places, programs, etc. for this.

I'm not made of money but I bust my ass to try to better myself. Standing around asking for handouts is not busting your ass to earn.

I understand there are some outliers but the majority of these beggers COULD find a better way.

I do remember once back when downtown Chicago. We had an entire extra pizza and we realized we wouldnt want to take it on the train back to the hotel, so we had passed a panhandler with a cup and offered it. They completely refused. I remember thinking that was strange, but at the same time who knows how often they are actually offered food. It went into the trash.

I was getting coffee this morning at the Kroger on Karl and Morse road and this guy approached me asking for $3 and a gas can so he could get home. I did not entertain him at all and basically said "I don't carry cash" and walked away. As I was ordering my coffee, I could see him still in the parking lot asking every person he could for money (most likely with the same story) and some people actually were giving him a few dollar bills. After he had collected what looked like almost $15 and a gas can from someone, I figured he would just leave, but I was wrong. As I was leaving Kroger, I noticed that He then walked up to this Dodge truck and hugged the guy who had just parked there. They exchanged some words, a cigarette, and I even watched him pull a bunch of bills out of his pocket and hand them to the guy. They both even pulled out their cell phones and texted some people. I snapped a few pictures of the two and the plate of the truck before I left and sent them to Columbus Police.

TL;DR - Dishonest panhandler being a dishonest panhandler

So, My question to CR is... Do you guys have any tips for dealing with people who are obviously begging to take advantage of people? Any ways to troll them back or make them feel bad? or does CR have some good stories of other bad / dishonest Panhandlers?

Honestly, in 2019, how is the "I need money for gas" story still a thing?

You need to mind ya business before you

A. Get shot

B. Get your ass beat and pony tail ripped out

C. Get anally pummeled by a real homeless

or

D. Get mugged and your half a muscle car stolen

Honestly, in 2019, how is the "idk how to deal with panhandlers" thing is still a thing. It's clear you've been pretty sheltered, if shit doesn't involve you, you simply stay far away from it, especially when it involves people like this. It doesn't end well for "normies" and you're gonna find that you've bit off much more than you can chew at some point. This isn't GTAV, left click isn't going to throw a punch that will knock them cold when they come at you.

Edited by Geeesammy

I came across a panhandler at the popeyes on broad. I asked, what is your plan to move forward from this and I will grab you a cheeseburger for answering. Guy actually sat on the curb with me outside and shot the shit for some time.

I came across a panhandler at the popeyes on broad. I asked, what is your plan to move forward from this and I will grab you a cheeseburger for answering. Guy actually sat on the curb with me outside and shot the shit for some time.

should have grabbed a Coors Light instead..

smoked weed with some bums in california once around 1999. Realized I lost my wallet at the bar, walked back, bar was closed. Group of bums standing out front. Told em what happened, they said smoke this, I said okay, then we exchanged a bunch of cool bro stories. I went back the next night and got my wallet.

Here is my take on it:

If they are legit homeless - your life is already better than theirs so show them some compassion and empathy and treat them like a human being.

If they are scamming people by pretending to be homeless - well normal well adjusted people don't do this sort of thing so your life is already better than theirs so show them some compassion and empathy and treat them like a human being.

Yeah, I'm not sure what else needs to be said. Give them money or don't, I don't care, but anything beyond being a pleasant human being and then going about your business is overthinking it.

I use to park my corvette at least a few blocks away from where I collect my sucker money but now I just don’t care. Most people today are scared of confrontation and even if I get filmed climbing into the vette with my iPhone 11 Pro the worst thing that will happen is they will post to their local car forum. Pffft. I can make like 80 bucks an hour at peak times. Over 100 if I make a dog walking post on Craigslist and beg with it.

The craziest story happened in Tampa, Florida. This was 3-4 years ago. Me and my boy stopped by a grocery store to stock up and ready to head back to Ohio. Sitting at a light waiting to turn left, one of the guys started walking down the line and asked for money. Of course I don’t have cash was the standard answer, low and behold, the dude pulled out his brand spanking new iPhone with square reader on top and said “we take credit card”. Light turned green, I laughed, and drove off. I should have had that on video.