Best / Worst Cars of the Last Decade? What does CR Think?

ShowHBK

As the title implies... I wanna know what CR thinks some of the best / worst cars were to come out in the 2010's and why. Lets have fun with it!

The only rule is the car must have come out between 2010 and 2019 model years. The car can be a continuing version of an already existing car. (for example, a 2010 Ford Focus vs. previous years)

My Picks: (OPINIONATED)

Worst: Cadillac ELR (Produced from 2011 - 2017)

OyNhUCD.jpg

While I feel like I personally like the design of the ELR, I felt like the value it offered for the price of $75,000 was god awful. Terrible car in my opinion for trying to compete with Tesla and lacking a 4 door option was really the nail in the coffin for folks looking to buy an Electric car.

Best: Tesla Model 3 (Produced from 2017 - Present)

g1HI5WX.jpg

The Model 3 deserves to be one of the best cars of the decade because it made electric cars actually affordable for mainstream people. While the $35,000 price tag is kind of bull shit because it does not include many of the features Tesla is best known for... I can't deny that this car will pave the way for more and more electric cars in the next decade.

Small PSA... I'm not a Tesla fan boy, but I choose to pick two electric cars because they were so important for future cars in creating the new market. But these are just my opinions... what does CR think the best / worst of the decade was?

I'm with Mike on the Tesla comment. Only, I consider the Model S the move that put them on the map and the program of electric cars in motion more-so than the Model 3. The S-gave us a glimpse into not just electric efficiency but performance. What Toyota did in 1997 with the hybrid for efficiency spurring on all kinds of movement from others, Tesla has done with fully electric vehicles.

I mean in 2010 would anyone here have figured we'd have fully electric SUV's that can out run most muscle cars or that performance cars would be making a leap forward using batteries vs fossil fuels?

2012+ Ford Focus

My wife had a brand new '13 when we met. That car was absolute garbage from the moment it left the factory. Lots of little stuff bothered me about the car, especially the shitty interior. The factory timing was so jacked up, it would stumble and knock under 2k RPM (every upshift into 2nd gear under light/normal acceleration) which sounded like someone was pouring pea gravel into the air intake when it shifted and the RPM's dropped. Ford called it "normal"......

2012+ Ford Focus

My wife had a brand new '13 when we met. That car was absolute garbage from the moment it left the factory. Lots of little stuff bothered me about the car, especially the shitty interior. The factory timing was so jacked up, it would stumble and knock under 2k RPM (every upshift into 2nd gear under light/normal acceleration) which sounded like someone was pouring pea gravel into the air intake when it shifted and the RPM's dropped. Ford called it "normal"......

Off the top of my head, the Focus (with the dual clutch auto) easily takes the cake as the worst. There are investigations into Ford's engineering team knowing the transmission was a faulty design that could never be fixed, but it was pushed out anyway. Even Ford dealers are refusing to work on them and telling owners to dump them and run. There are other cars that were ugly, had some quality issues, bad ergonomics, etc., but nothing that was knowingly defective from the start.

The BEST is a much more difficult prospect, as I see that as much more subjective. I see the Tesla as a significant vehicle in the marketplace but "best" comes in many flavors.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head, the Focus (with the dual clutch auto) easily takes the cake as the worst. There are investigations into Ford's engineering team knowing the transmission was a faulty design that could never be fixed, but it was pushed out anyway. Even Ford dealers are refusing to work on them and telling owners to dump them and run. There are other cars that were ugly, had some quality issues, bad ergonomics, etc., but nothing that was knowingly defective from the start.

Yeah, I remember there was a recall for a solenoid or something that would supposedly help. The dealer told me it would take a while before we noticed a difference because the trans would need to relearn our driving habits and adjust accordingly. Ha! The problems never went away, go figure. Thank God that shitbox was just a lease.

The two biggest problems with the ELR were:

1) the price

2) That it applied old GM (and frankly old american car mfg thinking) that you can make anything "luxury" by throwing enough wood, leather, and chrome at something.

The car itself wasn't that bad, and when dealers were blowing them out for $37K, people who bought them got a hell of a bargain. Mechanically it was a 2 door volt, and honestly anybody who wanted a 4 door elr just needed to buy a fully optioned volt, i've ridden in both and the only difference interior wise were the Cadillac logos and the v shaped buttons.

The other part, well that was the hard lesson GM had to learn from tesla - technology is the new luxury and slapping old luxury on top of tech you have available on a car at 1/3 the price point isn't going to fly anymore. Not that GM was the only one doing this (5 series electric I am looking at you) but the ELR is probably the worst example of this.

Still, I don't think it earns worst car status because as depreciated used cars they are an absolute bargain ($15-20K) and are a car people should totally own. They aren't a performance car but a plug in hybrid that can save you $200 a month in fuel costs for less than a leaf and has the plushness of a $75K car is worth it. It's a great car, just not what the market wanted which doesn't necessarily make it a bad car.

Also it can't be "the worst" car when things like the dodge avenger, caliber, sebring, dart, Jeep compass, Chevy Spark, Fiat 500L existed.

For worst car I am going to put the 6th gen Mitsubishi Mirage solidly in the running. By some metrics I should love this car - it's shockingly cheap ($13K) and it comes in a host of really cool colors, and it comes in a manual. and yet, there isn't a car that I find more soul sucking than this little shit box. It rides like a Conestoga wagon, it makes 78 (Seventy Freaking eight!!!! double digit) hp, and is notorious for being unreliable. I've bought $500 used motorcycles that made more HP, were more reliable, and rode better. With the prices of cars ever creeping up, we need more good cheap cars to keep people on wheels in lower income brackets and good cheap new cars make good very cheap used cars. Plus this is one area where grassroots tuner culture and motorsports traditionally took hold with cars like the miata, civic, and fiesta. seriously for $2K more you can get a new fiesta and access to fiesta aftermarket and for $6K more you get an ST performance model. Heck even the chevy spark has some aftermarket support and it's the freaking chevy spark - not exactly a high bar to clear. Fuck you Mitsubishi for not only forgetting you made legends like the Eclipse and the lancer evo, but for forcing this on the american public while you go through your shitty identity crisis.

Screen-Shot-2019-10-16-at-12.26.35-PM.png

Also it can't be "the worst" car when things like the dodge avenger, caliber, sebring, dart, Jeep compass, Chevy Spark, Fiat 500L existed.

His original "rules" were that it had to launch within the last decade, and while the original Compass/Caliber/Sebring/Avenger were awful cars, they launched in 2007. Also, whole they were incredibly cheap and had horrible interiors, they were still reliable transportation, unlike the Focus. Chrysler even backed them with a lifetime powertrain warranty for a period of time around the bankruptcy that people are still using.

I also wouldn't include the Dart in a "worst" list. I know people with 1.4L manuals and 2.4L's that like them. There were some initial launch issues, as with any all new vehicle, but again, it's reliable transportation, has a decent interior, and can be fun to drive.

The 500L is an abomination.

I agree that the ELR is definitely not the worst car of the decade. It missed the market, sure, but it's fundamentally a decent vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

His original "rules" were that it had to launch within the last decade, and while the original Compass/Caliber/Sebring/Avenger were awful cars, they launched in 2007. Also, whole they were incredibly cheap and had horrible interiors, they were still reliable transportation, unlike the Focus. Chrysler even backed them with a lifetime powertrain warranty for a period of time around the bankruptcy that people are still using.

I guess I read this differently:

The only rule is the car must have come out between 2010 and 2019 model years. The car can be a continuing version of an already existing car. (for example, a 2010 Ford Focus vs. previous years)

As in the car could have been launched earlier but continued into the 2010's as long as it was a continuation. Plus I didn't list them as "the worst" car, just cars that were worse than the ELR from a mechanical standpoint.

I also wouldn't include the Dart in a "worst" list. I know people with 1.4L manuals and 2.4L's that like them. There were some initial launch issues, as with any all new vehicle, but again, it's reliable transportation, has a decent interior, and can be fun to drive.

I don't know, I've talked to two different dart owners that had bad experiences with oil consumption and other issues. maybe time will tell that the dart is a good car, just haven't seen it. I do know there are people who love them so there must be some redeeming quality.

The 500L is an abomination.

agreed, and yet I find some redemption for the renegade which is based on the same platform. Maybe it has to do with the fun factor that the renegade brings to the table and the fact that it's 1000% better looking. It does frustrate me that there isn't a dealer that can seem to get a trailhawk renegade for under $30K despite the msrp being $25K. I see the renegade trailhawk as a successor to the old 4 cyl bare bones wrangler - cheap, capable, simple transport but only if the dealers can stop being dealers and thinking that top line models require $5K+ in options.

I agree that the ELR is definitely not the worst car of the decade. It missed the market, sure, but it's fundamentally a decent vehicle.

There are a lot of missed the mark cars out there now that are great. and some not so much.

The two biggest problems with the ELR were:

1) the price

2) That it applied old GM (and frankly old american car mfg thinking) that you can make anything "luxury" by throwing enough wood, leather, and chrome at something.

The car itself wasn't that bad, and when dealers were blowing them out for $37K, people who bought them got a hell of a bargain. Mechanically it was a 2 door volt, and honestly anybody who wanted a 4 door elr just needed to buy a fully optioned volt, i've ridden in both and the only difference interior wise were the Cadillac logos and the v shaped buttons.

The other part, well that was the hard lesson GM had to learn from tesla - technology is the new luxury and slapping old luxury on top of tech you have available on a car at 1/3 the price point isn't going to fly anymore. Not that GM was the only one doing this (5 series electric I am looking at you) but the ELR is probably the worst example of this.

Still, I don't think it earns worst car status because as depreciated used cars they are an absolute bargain ($15-20K) and are a car people should totally own. They aren't a performance car but a plug in hybrid that can save you $200 a month in fuel costs for less than a leaf and has the plushness of a $75K car is worth it. It's a great car, just not what the market wanted which doesn't necessarily make it a bad car.

Ironically just popped up on my facebook marketplace link. haha big brother!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/434673300474729/

For worst car I am going to put the 6th gen Mitsubishi Mirage solidly in the running. By some metrics I should love this car - it's shockingly cheap ($13K) and it comes in a host of really cool colors, and it comes in a manual. and yet, there isn't a car that I find more soul sucking than this little shit box. It rides like a Conestoga wagon, it makes 78 (Seventy Freaking eight!!!! double digit) hp, and is notorious for being unreliable. I've bought $500 used motorcycles that made more HP, were more reliable, and rode better. With the prices of cars ever creeping up, we need more good cheap cars to keep people on wheels in lower income brackets and good cheap new cars make good very cheap used cars. Plus this is one area where grassroots tuner culture and motorsports traditionally took hold with cars like the miata, civic, and fiesta. seriously for $2K more you can get a new fiesta and access to fiesta aftermarket and for $6K more you get an ST performance model. Heck even the chevy spark has some aftermarket support and it's the freaking chevy spark - not exactly a high bar to clear. Fuck you Mitsubishi for not only forgetting you made legends like the Eclipse and the lancer evo, but for forcing this on the american public while you go through your shitty identity crisis.

Screen-Shot-2019-10-16-at-12.26.35-PM.png

Interesting. I considered looking at one when I was trying to find a winter beater that I could drive back and forth from Powell to downtown, as I put 50-60 miles a day on a car for work. I really wanted something 40+ MPG and a 5 speed, but the online reviews of the Mirage were shit. So I tried hard to find a previous generation Yaris sedan, as they are a great value, but ended up with my 2013 Fiesta instead. Thankfully my Fiesta is a 5 speed, so I was spared all of the transmission issues the rest of the world is seeing. It's been a decent car, a couple of minor issues, but I'm averaging 41-44 MPG and it's great in the snow. When we get snow... :lol:

It was nice to see the Camaro make a comeback, really like the ZL1's. Also really liked the Sho as a daily driver, I realize it isn't for everyone. Lowered made a huge difference and it was a reliable 12 second daily.