Wanted: LS swap car

Forrest Gump 9

Hello all

Sometimes in life you don’t need another project but it just falls into your lap. We’ve just scored a wonderfully built LSX engine that’s proven to make 600hp NA. So now onto the project

1. Rwd

2. Manual transmission

3. Capable chassis

4. No convertible please

First of my head was a 944 turbo, but those had dramatically go up in price. Second thought was a 3 series bmw, but my friend already had a LS turbocharged one in his shop. That’s why I’m here hopefully the collective brain power of CR can help us. Thank you, and hopefully I’ll show up one the the track day with something worthy this year, lol.

Edited by Forrest Gump 9

Here are my suggestions:

- C4 corvette. yeah the chassis is a little flexible, but there are bolt on fixes for that. The suspension is def there, the aftermarket is fantastic for these cars, and many people race them so there is a good knowledge base for everything from auto-x to endurance racing. They are stupid cheap, can take a pretty wide tire set, and 90's manual ones should have a 6 speed that will live behind that LS.

- first gen RX7. There are swap kits, the car is tiny (short wheel base and light) but will swallow a v8 no problem, good aftermarket support. They look like a real life hot wheels car with flares and big meats.

- XJS jaguar, ok this one is a little out of left field, but hear me out. The suspension on the old jags are fantastic (rear is an IRS version of the dana 44), and literally anything lighter than the 700+lb v12 that goes in it. This is more of a highway car than a roadrace car, but broadspeed raced the xjs in the 80's with much success. they look killer with flares and 10" wide panasports at all four corners. XJS's used chevy transmissions starting in the 70's and there are so many kits to put chevy's into jags, you could find a swapped one to start if you look, you can get the manual trans swap parts from england - there are already kits to put in T56s in these cars.

- 1970's/80's Mercedes Diesel. I watched Lost highway the other night and now have dreams of that stack injected Merc that tears up mulholland. bonus points if you do it to a coupe. bonus points if you start with a manual trans 300CD 2 door coupe. AS far as I know nobody is racing these so no great aftermarket, but the diesel components are overbuilt.

- e34 (1989-1996) BMW 5-series. Easily one of the best cars bmw ever made. Good aftermarket support. again a little heavy, but its a great car with lots of room. Bonus points if you swap a wagon. you could also consider a E28 previous gen 5 series as they are much lighter and the first M5 was a touring car legend, same with the 80's 6-series which is a related chassis.

Follow up questions:

1. New or old or inbetween?

2. is this a weekend toy or a daily driver?

3. you looking for light weight race car or something with "cool" factor?

4. budget? 5k? 20k?

1. Something cool, I guess may modern classis, 85 and up?

2. Definitely weekend toy,

3. Light weight is better but not a deal breaker

4. If the deal is right, but nothing set in stone, so let’s say up to $20k

Foxbody. Plenty of swap kits available that will make everything relatively straightforward compared to some weird geeto car.

same swap kits are found for e34/e36s... the biggest challenge is finding a car that doesnt have the midwest rust.

Foxbody. Plenty of swap kits available that will make everything relatively straightforward compared to some weird geeto car.

Every car I suggested, except the mercedes, not only has a swap kits available, but has been old school Chevy V8 swapped since before the LS was a gleam in Mary Barra's eye. My Cousin used to own John Glenn's 1976 XJS that had an old school LS7 454 big block swapped in my GM-jag in florida in the late 1970's.

You can buy LS swap engine and trans mounts for a C4 corvette over the counter at your Chevy dealer - they are in the GM performance parts catalog.

I saw eight different LS swapped bmws last year on power tour. two were E34s. Sikky and CX racing both make swap kits for the 3 and 5 series cars depending on what E34 you have. Sikky and CX racing also make the swap kits for rX7s and have been for a long time.

The only "weird one" is the Mercedes and that's because I haven't seen an LS1 kit for it yet. I did see at least 2 that were ford 5.0 swapped in the 90's.

seriously, how could you hate this if you knew it was LS swapped:

114187d1434736658-group-44-xjs-street-clone-13881680295_0c90a2973a_c.jpg

JDMLegends-RX7-08.jpg

67648b20-8ceb-42a6-9393-0e2565caf2db_mmthumb.jpeg

Every car I suggested, except the mercedes, not only has a swap kits available, but has been old school Chevy V8 swapped since before the LS was a gleam in Mary Barra's eye. My Cousin used to own John Glenn's 1976 XJS that had an old school LS7 454 big block swapped in my GM-jag in florida in the late 1970's.

You can buy LS swap engine and trans mounts for a C4 corvette over the counter at your Chevy dealer - they are in the GM performance parts catalog.

I saw eight different LS swapped bmws last year on power tour. two were E34s. Sikky and CX racing both make swap kits for the 3 and 5 series cars depending on what E34 you have. Sikky and CX racing also make the swap kits for rX7s and have been for a long time.

The only "weird one" is the Mercedes and that's because I haven't seen an LS1 kit for it yet. I did see at least 2 that were ford 5.0 swapped in the 90's.

seriously, how could you hate this if you knew it was LS swapped:

114187d1434736658-group-44-xjs-street-clone-13881680295_0c90a2973a_c.jpg

JDMLegends-RX7-08.jpg

67648b20-8ceb-42a6-9393-0e2565caf2db_mmthumb.jpeg

I like the XJS and BMW wagon choices. RX7, not so much unless FD.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/532624297353280/

There’s quite a few auto cars in Denver but this is the nicest manual car. I figured that would make it easier to swap with a manual.

Can you go check on that one for me? If you can, buy it and next month I’ll fly out and pay you plus “convenient fee” ;).