CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

I'm honestly proud to be in Ohio right now compared to some other states. Working from home when my job is to get in front of customers and support their cases leaves me stir crazy. Thankfully I have been able to get a lot done at the house that I normally would of spread out over a couple months. I am hoping that because of the numbers, models and our leadership Ohio will relax the restrictions just for residents. Still quarantine when coming from outside of Ohio and protective measures but let the economy to start to come back.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've kept hand sanitizer in my cars for years. After pumping gas or handling cash or whatever, I always use a little bit. I've always been good about washing my hands frequently. I fucking hate being in crowds when I'm at the grocery store or whatever, I can't stand being shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of mouth breathers. So, my habits haven't had to change much at all.

Honestly, I can see the Stay At Home Order being in action throughout the Summer. :( I hope I am wrong, but, unless the Nation goes into the same situation, this thing is gonna pop back up, and most likely get worse.

I hope not. We are going to have to face the virus and numbers sooner or later anyway. We need to just ramp up prep. for it in terms of capacity and meds, etc. Covid isn't going anywhere.

Social distancing is fine and in terms of self quarantining, it's really the age 60 and up and anyone with issues that could expose them as more vulnerable.

Time to get back to life with some new protocols in place is all.

I hope not. We are going to have to face the virus and numbers sooner or later anyway. We need to just ramp up prep. for it in terms of capacity and meds, etc. Covid isn't going anywhere.

Social distancing is fine and in terms of self quarantining, it's really the age 60 and up and anyone with issues that could expose them as more vulnerable.

Time to get back to life with some new protocols in place is all.

But it's this thinking that's landing many 30-50 year olds in the morgue too.

But it's this thinking that's landing many 30-50 year olds in the morgue too.

sure...but so do a lot of things in life. The trend against age is clear still regardless of when or where. there's going to be a fine line regardless. country has to get back to living eventually.

large.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm

Unpopular opinion:

Lots of people are going to die. We cannot escape that reality. Does it suck? Yes. Is it avoidable? Not reasonably. We need to get back to some semi-normal type of operational status ASAP. The economy and the people cannot take another [worse than] 2008 situation. We can't keep printing money to help everyone out.

I don't think lots of people dying is inevitable; with ample testing, targeted quarantines, and some smart changes to the way we do things, we can keep it at bay. I do not understand this sudden push for everyone to suck it up, get sick, and get back to work. There is room for middle ground if we listen to the experts and make smart decisions about how and when we begin to relax our containment measures.

I mean, this virus is like 6 months old, we've barely studied it; we don't know if it's going to mutate, we don't know if getting sick once means a lifetime immunity.... we need more data. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Unpopular opinion:

Lots of people are going to die. We cannot escape that reality. Does it suck? Yes. Is it avoidable? Not reasonably. We need to get back to some semi-normal type of operational status ASAP. The economy and the people cannot take another [worse than] 2008 situation. We can't keep printing money to help everyone out.

Time for people to begin taking care of themselves. Lots of the underlying chronic health issues are avoidable by eating better and generally taking care of ones self. Obesity, high blood pressure, smoking, copd, diabetes, all greatly increase odds of a bad outcome.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Time for people to begin taking care of themselves. Lots of the underlying chronic health issues are avoidable by eating better and generally taking care of ones self. Obesity, high blood pressure, smoking, copd, diabetes, all greatly increase odds of a bad outcome.

I agree. Call me selfish but I'm not willing to sacrifice my quality of life, 401k, bank account balance, etc., for those who are unwilling to take care of themselves. Be smart, do smart things, hold each other accountable for their actions.

I don't think lots of people dying is inevitable; with ample testing, targeted quarantines, and some smart changes to the way we do things, we can keep it at bay. I do not understand this sudden push for everyone to suck it up, get sick, and get back to work. There is room for middle ground if we listen to the experts and make smart decisions about how and when we begin to relax our containment measures.

I mean, this virus is like 6 months old, we've barely studied it; we don't know if it's going to mutate, we don't know if getting sick once means a lifetime immunity.... we need more data. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

agreed

EDIT: if it were you or a personal loved one, no price would be too high to pay for them to remain alive and reasonably healthy IMHO.

easy for one to say from the outside, but as a 43 yo who was initially diagnosed with COPD from my time working in a steel mill, there wasn't anything I personally could have done to prevent it. I wore a mask where required by my employer, I followed all safety rules and still ended up with poor lung health years later due to bad employer decisions. Sadly now that employer is bankrupt, out of business, gone like a fart in the wind and i'm left here with one of said underlying causes due to no carelessness of my own. How is this MY fault? Why should I have to accept it and just move on? I didn't smoke up my lungs willingly to get poor lung health.

I agree. Call me selfish but I'm not willing to sacrifice my quality of life, 401k, bank account balance, etc., for those who are unwilling to take care of themselves. Be smart, do smart things, hold each other accountable for their actions.

I agree and I have an immune disease that puts me at risk. Nothing I'm gonna do though, I gotta work.

I do not understand this sudden push for everyone to suck it up, get sick, and get back to work.

In terms of understanding, I think it's a result of the slightly positive data that's been released regarding to Ohio over the last several days. The second the data begins to show that containment measures are working and we aren't officially in shit's on fire territory, there will be pushes to get back to normal. Kinda like looking around saying "eh we're not all dead, lets quit all this silliness and let it run it's course. If you die you deserve it."

Look closely and it seems like calls for this type of change/reverting back to normal is largely coming from the folks who can actually get back to their normal lives and work without subjecting themselves to a lot of risk. You don't see nurses saying let's get back to normal, or construction folks saying it, or really any blue collar "work with your hands" folks calling for relaxing measures yet. That's because their normal can't transpire via phone and email, as it requires getting out into the world, close contact, etc. Environments where individuals can't purely control their own risk, and are at the mercy of the lowest common denominators around them. That's why the huge sweeping measures are required, because people on average don't make good enough decisions on their own and put everyone else at risk.

Some perspective would be good. There is a pretty glaring lack of it all around.

how is this MY fault? Why should I have to accept it and just move on? I didn't smoke up my lungs willingly to get poor lung health.

Its not your fault but those are the cards you were dealt. We all have cards. For you and many others the risks are higher but the rest of America has to get back to work.

The people out of work right now got dealt cards too...

I'm still at work. Luckily all I've done has been remote thus far, but the pressure to get out there is mounting. Why should I have to "get back out there" because I got dealt certain cards and every one else wants to bolster their 401k? My 401k can burn in a fire for all I care, it's useless if i'm dead and can't enjoy retirement.

The people out of work right now got dealt cards too...

I have an IT field service company so I touch every dirty piece of equipment in every office and I told the wife weeks ago that I'll end up getting this virus eventually. It might be a year down the road and I don't feel we should shut down the economy. This isn't going away just because we take a couple months off from everything.

I have an IT field service company so I touch every dirty piece of equipment in every office and I told the wife weeks ago that I'll end up getting this virus eventually. It might be a year down the road and I don't feel we should shut down the economy. This isn't going away just because we take a couple months off from everything.

I don't think it is either, but if I can delay ME getting it until the hospitals have the room and capacity to treat me should I need to go there, I plan to.

I don't think it is either, but if I can delay ME getting it until the hospitals have the room and capacity to treat me should I need to go there, I plan to.

To your point that's the REAL reason we should be taking this month off.....to prepare for that. It's not going to stop Covid but it will buy-time to get the medical community prepared for when we re-open. Time to pick that date and work towards it. They should have done that from day 1 vs going over what they have been.

To your point that's the REAL reason we should be taking this month off.....to prepare for that. It's not going to stop Covid but it will buy-time to get the medical community prepared for when we re-open.

Yes, and i'm for this. And if we "stagger" the pace at which people return it will help slow the spread while trying to get everything going forward again.

Now if they do testing and can handle that in volume, let the people who have the antibodies go for it no holds barred. I'd jump back in full force if I knew I had it and was asymptomatic. Until that time though, my thought is we need to creep back slowly because if we rush back without thought it will just spike again and we'll be back to square one.

To your point that's the REAL reason we should be taking this month off.....to prepare for that. It's not going to stop Covid but it will buy-time to get the medical community prepared for when we re-open. Time to pick that date and work towards it. They should have done that from day 1 vs going over what they have been.

Tim, picking a date is a dumb comment. You're not accelerating progress...just increasing the risk of more damage by telegraphing an artificial "all-clear" for the wrong reasons.

We all want/NEED to get back to work, but if social distancing will flatten the infection/death curve then I'll maintain faith in our state/local leadership. Anyone of you that suggests/acts differently risks your life and others, plain and simple. Yes, we're not going to eliminate the total risks but I've got a baby and elderly family members I'm thinking about.

In the near future (hopefully shorter than the 12-18 months we're being told), we'll have a vaccine for this like we do for flu/shingles/etc...I'm just hoping we get effective treatments to bridge the gap between now and when we've developed a solution to live with this virus. Again, WE have to trust our leadership on timing when it's safe to go out. I've been very encouraged by how Ohio has managed this process and will continue to listen.

All the "pandemic experts" in this thread...please sit down.

Tim, picking a date is a dumb comment. You're not accelerating progress...just increasing the risk of more damage by telegraphing an artificial "all-clear" for the wrong reasons.

Thank you for your feedback but in my world when we work on projects such as a re-launch, it's nice to start with an end in mind. It's not dumb to put a goal out there. The real goal or end here is to get open and back to life. That date is fluid and can move.

We all want/NEED to get back to work, but if social distancing will flatten the infection/death curve then I'll maintain faith in our state/local leadership.

The difference is I have no faith in leadership unless they are looking at a date when to get life moving again. Currently they aren't they are looking at flattening the curve only.

Anyone of you that suggests/acts differently risks your life and others, plain and simple. Yes, we're not going to eliminate the total risks but I've got a baby and elderly family members I'm thinking about.

We all do. No one of us is special here in that regards. The point is we don't have to quarantine the entire world forever. We open up and protect the higher risk folks when we do it.

I've been very encouraged by how Ohio has managed this process and will continue to listen. All the "pandemic experts" in this thread...please sit down.

They have done some good but now it's time to shift gears. Not sure why anyone should be told to shut up. This is the US, where opinions welcomed not shut down.