CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

I like how your knee-jerk reaction to me expressing an opinion about Trump was to tell me, an 18 year usaf veteran, to revoke my own citizenship, but I'm supposed to be the one to figure out how to heal this rift? Fuck if I know, man. Seems unsolvable at this point.

1st off thank you for your service. 2ndly I never said it was one sided as far as moving forward or that it was your side was to blame in not moving forward. After going down the worm hole again with a shitty post playing the same game as others have on here including yourself, I decided it was time to take a step back and take a different approach.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How to solve it..everyone stay home for 21 days.

Those who have it will respond in one way or another then it stops

Or maybe 28 days later...it's a zombie movie..lol

I would agree with you except people have to be out to keep our infrastructure running (power, water, etc...) and honestly, I don't have 28 days worth of food in my house and our current grocery situation can't handle everyone going shopping to stock 28 days worth of food... hell I can't even find toilet paper right now and that isn't "essential" like food would be.

1st off thank you for your service. 2ndly I never said it was one sided as far as moving forward or that it was your side was to blame in not moving forward. After going down the worm hole again with a shitty post playing the same game as others have on here including yourself, I decided it was time to take a step back and take a different approach.

And your different approach is to accuse me of being a partisan? To make this about "sides?"

Let me be clear: I am not being partisan, which I can now demonstrate. Mike DeWine is a Republican; I did not vote for him. However, he is doing a GREAT job in this crisis. How? He has put competent people in positions of authority; he has strived to understand what the data and evidence are saying and has made decisions based upon that evidence; he has made tough, unpopular calls that are in the best interest of Ohioans, and he has made those calls in a timely manner; and lastly, he has presented a calm, clear, and CONSISTENT message to Ohio. None of those things are partisan in nature, those are basic elements of leadership. Other than declaring abortion services to be non-essential medical procedures, which aggravates me as a libertarian, I cannot fault his leadership and I am 100% behind the efforts of Mike DeWine, who, again, is a Republican.

Donald Trump is also a Republican and his response to this pandemic has been nothing like Mike DeWine's. I won't rehash all the reasons why, as they've been covered, but I assure you that my opinion of Trump's leadership is not based on partisan loyalty, but rather observations of an objective reality and a basic understanding of a few facts. If other Americans are observing a different reality and/or operating under a different set of facts, I honestly don't know how the country is going to "come together as a whole." If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.

It’s crazy to think back. But my friend and his wife were sure that they got this coronavirus back in late January at a birthday party. They were sick for two weeks, their son 11 years old sick for two days. The wife is a nurse at OSU and they said it wasn’t flu. Another friend also had the same thing and also recovered. Crazy, but this shit been in the US earlier than we know.

It's funny you say this..yesterday my wife asked if I remember back in January when her whole area was sick with "flu like " symptoms. She then reminded me most were in respiratory distress, 1 had to be hospitalized and 1 on inhalers. In total there were 5 or 6 sick sick with all similar symptoms.

Yes, I think it's been here since at least January

And your different approach is to accuse me of being a partisan? To make this about "sides?"

Let me be clear: I am not being partisan, which I can now demonstrate. Mike DeWine is a Republican; I did not vote for him. However, he is doing a GREAT job in this crisis. How? He has put competent people in positions of authority; he has strived to understand what the data and evidence are saying and has made decisions based upon that evidence; he has made tough, unpopular calls that are in the best interest of Ohioans, and he has made those calls in a timely manner; and lastly, he has presented a calm, clear, and CONSISTENT message to Ohio. None of those things are partisan in nature, those are basic elements of leadership. Other than declaring abortion services to be non-essential medical procedures, which aggravates me as a libertarian, I cannot fault his leadership and I am 100% behind the efforts of Mike DeWine, who, again, is a Republican.

Donald Trump is also a Republican and his response to this pandemic has been nothing like Mike DeWine's. I won't rehash all the reasons why, as they've been covered, but I assure you that my opinion of Trump's leadership is not based on partisan loyalty, but rather observations of an objective reality and a basic understanding of a few facts. If other Americans are observing a different reality and/or operating under a different set of facts, I honestly don't know how the country is going to "come together as a whole." If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.

Very well said, and I agree 100%.

And speaking of a "different reality," almost right on cue is Donald Trump Jr. This is part of the problem. President Trump seems more interested in delivering a positive, uplifting message to the people, even when it's untruthful, and chastises the press when they ask him questions that he doesn't think fit this mold (even when they are directly quoting Trump).d53df3ced8448fadd6a099046a1a7786.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

It’s crazy to think back. But my friend and his wife were sure that they got this coronavirus back in late January at a birthday party. They were sick for two weeks, their son 11 years old sick for two days. The wife is a nurse at OSU and they said it wasn’t flu. Another friend also had the same thing and also recovered. Crazy, but this shit been in the US earlier than we know.

I actually had something around the first week of Feb that was so bad I actually went to the doctor to get checked out, and I never go to the doctor for colds or flus. I got tested for two strains of the flu and was negative for both. Doctor prescribed me some stuff to help manage the symptoms, but man it was a rough couple of weeks. Many of the same symptoms as Covid-19 - dry cough, shortness of breath, weakness, pain. I have heard similar stories from other people I know as well.

I actually had something around the first week of Feb that was so bad I actually went to the doctor to get checked out, and I never go to the doctor for colds or flus. I got tested for two strains of the flu and was negative for both. Doctor prescribed me some stuff to help manage the symptoms, but man it was a rough couple of weeks. Many of the same symptoms as Covid-19 - dry cough, shortness of breath, weakness, pain. I have heard similar stories from other people I know as well.

My wife said she had the same thing for 2-3 weeks and was pretty much miserable.

It's funny you say this..yesterday my wife asked if I remember back in January when her whole area was sick with "flu like " symptoms. She then reminded me most were in respiratory distress, 1 had to be hospitalized and 1 on inhalers. In total there were 5 or 6 sick sick with all similar symptoms.

Yes, I think it's been here since at least January

My wife said she had the same thing for 2-3 weeks and was pretty much miserable.

This is what I've been saying for a couple weeks now. It's been here, there have been cases that have gone unnoticed, and people have been fighting it off. I don't doubt that it's serious, but the death rate and recovery numbers are not nearly as bad as it's being made out to be.

My wife had an unproductive horrible cough back around Jan for like a month. She said she doesn't recall if she had fever or body aches but it felt like her chest was being constrained, like someone sitting on it. It was pretty bad. The kids got it too but for a much shorter duration. The weird thing is, I did not, and I usually catch everything and it's usually pretty bad when I get sick. The common cold really takes me out.

This is what I've been saying for a couple weeks now. It's been here, there have been cases that have gone unnoticed, and people have been fighting it off. I don't doubt that it's serious, but the death rate and recovery numbers are not nearly as bad as it's being made out to be.

While I agree on the face of it, my fear as one of those who may be higher risk, i'm not willing to risk going out and finding out if this is the same or different.

My boss in Utah just informed us that he tested positive for COVID-19 after only experiencing fatigue and chest tightness. No fever or cough present. Luckily, his symptoms are mild and he's not in need of being hospitalized. First person I know that has tested positive.

This virus' official name is SARS-CoV-2. There are now 7 strains of coronavirus. (4) common cold varieties, SARS 1, MERS, and now this (SARS 2)

This virus' official name is SARS-CoV-2. There are now 7 strains of coronavirus. (4) common cold varieties, SARS 1, MERS, and now this (SARS 2)

It is also worth noting that SARS by itself is not a virus, it is a symptom. SARS has been added to virus names.

While I agree on the face of it, my fear as one of those who may be higher risk, i'm not willing to risk going out and finding out if this is the same or different.

I agree with you. I just believe there are far more people that got it, are getting it, have it now, etc. and are staying home to fight it off. Not everyone is running off to get tested. You should only be tested if you are going to the hospital because you need that level of attention. Otherwise, stay at home and fight the good fight.

CNN is quietly reporting the death rate is .66%

Got a link? I wonder how they're deriving that number. Ohio is at 2% according to the health dept, US is at 1.9%, according to the data on worldometer. That would be fantastic news if it's only .66%, maybe they're including estimated number of untested infected?

eta: Found it, from the Lancet based on estimates/models. So not out of line with what we already suspected, but still encouraging.

I agree with you. I just believe there are far more people that got it, are getting it, have it now, etc. and are staying home to fight it off. Not everyone is running off to get tested. You should only be tested if you are going to the hospital because you need that level of attention. Otherwise, stay at home and fight the good fight.

I agree and I think the media is skewing the results, but at the same time I somewhat understand because otherwise it would be business as usual and it could be much more rapidly spread. If stupid people weren't stupid, this could have been handled much better overall, but, 'MURICA BITCHES!

I plan on staying at home as much as possible and will battle when I need to, from home if/until an ER trip is required. My pulmonologist called me and told me to stay the fuck at home, so it must be SRS.

I agree and I think the media is skewing the results, but at the same time I somewhat understand because otherwise it would be business as usual and it could be much more rapidly spread. If stupid people weren't stupid, this could have been handled much better overall, but, 'MURICA BITCHES!

I plan on staying at home as much as possible and will battle when I need to, from home if/until an ER trip is required. My pulmonologist called me and told me to stay the fuck at home, so it must be SRS.

Who's your pulmonologist?

So I have questions for the "states rights" folks that seem to live in this thread.....

What we are seeing right now, this is how a national emergency would be handled under a more absentee, libertarian, or "pro-states rights federal government. This isn't a one off situation, this is exactly what it would look like over and over again with the federal government taking an absentee approach and deferring power to the states.

Questions:

- Do you think everything is being handled adequately?

- Has this changed your opinion on the role of federal government, and if so how? If not, why not?

- Has this changed your opinion on national healthcare? if so, how? if not why not?

- Has this changed your opinion on social programs like unemployment?

I just looked at the Ohio numbers...2199 confirmed cases with 55 deaths, this means the death rate in Ohio is 0.025%

So we are doing ok, thank you mr dewine, whom i didn't vote for, but the little guy seems to be doing a very good job.

That's actually 2.5%, not 0.025%.

I'm not sure what to make of the numbers. Overall the US rate seems to be flattening -- still a bit worse than a true linear progression but getting closer to one. Ohio's infected rate, likewise, seems to be slowing down. Social distancing at work? Maybe. But our hospitalization rate is still increasing exponentially, and today in the conference DeWine said we're only able to do 280 tests per day in state. That's pretty close to the number of new infections we've added over the last few days. I don't know how many tests are getting sent out of state.

I'm hopeful.

eta: And I gotta say, DeWine has been a goddamn rockstar at these daily briefings. Clear, direct, honest and transparent.