Ham Radio

Mojoe

I did a site search and didn't see any threads on this. That was a bit surprising to me, as I think CR would have some Ham people.

I just picked up three radios, and have a fourth installed in the boat that I have done nothing with. Anyone have their license?

Ive thought about it as more and more offroad guys are using it....we still seem to have a majority of CBs so I havent bothered.

That's what got me to buy. You can run two way and not be on the freq's that require a license. We have 40 channels programmed in. I'd like to get some repeaters programmed around here, but have not got to messing with it much.

https://www.repeaterbook.com/index.php/2016-04-07-21-08-49/2-uncategorised/1-welcome-to-repeaterbook-com

That's what got me to buy. You can run two way and not be on the freq's that require a license. We have 40 channels programmed in. I'd like to get some repeaters programmed around here, but have not got to messing with it much.

https://www.repeaterbook.com/index.php/2016-04-07-21-08-49/2-uncategorised/1-welcome-to-repeaterbook-com

2-way would be cool. Ive had some Boefang handheld in my cart for like two years now. Maybe next big outing Ill pick one up before hand.

There are 3 license levels:

Tech - 35 questions

General - 35 Questions

Extra - 50 Questions

You have to pass each level to qualify for the next test, you can do multiple test on the same day assuming you pass. The questions are pulled from pools. Tech is mostly rules and regulations and very basic radio theory.

I studied for a while and did tech and general on the same day. There is quite a bit more info in Extra so i just never got back to it.

My father-in-law has messed around with Ham Radios and radios in general for decades. Has an entire steel building on his property dedicated to just radio equipment and has a broadcast studio there as well. I've talked to him about it multiple times but alot of the stuff is over my head. He use to seek out and purchase old radio station amplifiers, he'd purchase this huge pieces, refurbish them and use them. Pretty cool, alot of this stuff was from the 50's-60's so they're old art-deco cabinets and stuff.

EDIT: actually, while looking for a pic of an old amp came across this link, an interview with my father-in-law lol https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/seriously-collecting-broadcastings-big-iron

My father-in-law has messed around with Ham Radios and radios in general for decades. Has an entire steel building on his property dedicated to just radio equipment and has a broadcast studio there as well. I've talked to him about it multiple times but alot of the stuff is over my head. He use to seek out and purchase old radio station amplifiers, he'd purchase this huge pieces, refurbish them and use them. Pretty cool, alot of this stuff was from the 50's-60's so they're old art-deco cabinets and stuff.

EDIT: actually, while looking for a pic of an old amp came across this link, an interview with my father-in-law lol https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/seriously-collecting-broadcastings-big-iron

As I was reading that, I was wondering if that's who you were talking about. Probably not many people playing with radios as a hobby at that level, buying old AM station equipment. My dad worked for him over at Applied Innovations and has been to his place a few times. I went to an AI reunion about a year ago. I never worked there but worked with many who did at other companies, so it's a good place to catch up with all of them. I meet Gerry then and he (very casually) invited me to come check his radio stuff out. I would love to go out sometime my dad is going there. Dude seems like a (radio) mad scientist in person.

This thread got me to thinking back to my cb days. I still have a linear in the garage....haven't used it in a long time but talked all over the world on it in the late 80's. Not ham and not legal.....I got to thinking about the tubes in it and how much they probably cost to replace these days. Has 4 6LQ6 power tubes and I thought it was 5 6jg26 driver tubes but can't find that tube online. I'll have to pull the top off to see what the drivers were just out of curiosity. When I was a young teen I talked everywhere with that thing. I used to really get into the cb thing but that was long before the internet.

2-way would be cool. Ive had some Boefang handheld in my cart for like two years now. Maybe next big outing Ill pick one up before hand.

I have 3 beofeng's for our Jeep trail rides and events. They work pretty good.

Get the longer/better antenna or you will get a lot of unwanted feedback.