Holley Pro-Jection EFI kit - re-install or sell?

zeitgeist57

The previous owner of the '75 Dodge RV I just bought gave me a nearly-new Holley Pro-Jection EFI kit (p/n 502-1) that he installed on the Chrysler 360 back in 1993. He drove the RV to Alaska and back, and while he loved the power and responsiveness but he didn't like the fuel economy reduction....apparently the 2bbl carb he had was slightly down on power but had better MPG. He pulled it all off and put it back in the box. I've now got it in the shed, and visually everything looks to be in good condition.

Is it worth reinstalling back on the V8? I'm not inclined to reinstall old '90s technology that doesn't have a solid backing but the whole kit, with everything included (even books/instructions) for free is enticing. Curious if anyone runs this system or has experience with it in the past. Thanks!

for fuel economy, nothing beats a 2bbl. But that's it's only redeeming feature.

For longevity, ease of tuning, etc...put the FI on. carbs are still just basically buckets of gasoline crudely being metered into an engine with a straw, and that wears on ring life over time. Pre-FI we rarely saw a car over 100k miles, but post FI, 200K miles was suddenly common.

If you're planning on pounding miles on the van, then I guess the fuel mileage would be important. I would think the fuel injection would be more reliable long term. I don't know about that kit, but the Holley kit we put on the dragster is bad ass. If they are even close, then I say it's not even a question.

Thanks, guys. Apparently this is an early pre-O2 EFI closed-loop system that allows you to twist 5 knobs on-the-fly for power/efficiency tuning. I'm not too concerned with fuel costs when gas is sub-$2.00/gal and the RV's already paid for.

We aren't planning on going out west...yet. But if you told me it would help with more power for elevation changes, then I'm all for it. Clearly that's what he was thinking when he installed the GearVendors OD and Pro-Jection EFI for the mountains out west going to AK.

I'll hold onto it and futz with it after our trip to FL next month. The PO gave me intake gaskets and a spread-bore intake manifold to swap the system right on...

Early EFI tech that's not supported anymore? Very hard pass, you're asking for trouble.

The correct answer would be to do an EFI swap is one of the Sniper kits from Holley, but even those will still require some tuning.