West Virginia Off-Roading UTV Trip Pics

cruizin01

Thought Id share some pics from my SxS trip this past weekend. My brother and I and his friends drove down and stayed at Ashland Resorts.

We stayed Thursday through yesterday. We road Thursday afternoon for a couple hours then 8 hours on Friday and Saturday. We covered nearly 90 miles on Saturday. We covered 3 trails systems on the Hatfield and Mccoy system.

It was awesome! My brother and I switched off between his RZR 900 2 seater and is RZR 1000 RS1 single seater. The 1000 is perfect for my style of riding. Plenty of power and the power steering makes it easily driveable. Its a little floaty because of it but I still prefer it over not having it. The single seater is nice because you can see exactly where both front tires are. It throws a lot of dirt but its a sweet machine. Ive ridden SxS's on and off for years so I felt pretty confident on both machines. Probably rode a little faster than I should have in spots.

Im trying to talk myself out of buying one. I feel like I just couldn't use it enough to justify the $15-17k price tag. Its several hours to anywhere you can ride. Anyway, overall a great weekend with no broken parts.

This was the view from right across the street of some little pizza joint.

hwF4H3eh.jpg

qUINgTJh.jpg

betiun6h.jpg

OAaiVSfh.jpg

THo8BlPh.jpg

JjJFm0Uh.jpg

DiFhFePh.jpg

mhtnTDdh.jpg

KbfjdeJh.jpg

QWY7zssh.jpg

MxNnq4Sh.jpg

This was the first of 3 BIG holes we blasted through on the return trip on the last day. I think the water was pretty close to 2ft deep. I thought I had buried my machine but once it hit the bottom it dug in and drove out. I was soaked!

JhSjxXeh.jpg

FhSVEtsh.jpg

I1eKvc7h.jpg

The crew. Awesome weekend. I recommend everyone do it. You can rent machines if need be.

INm3QBIh.jpg

I'll have to check that place out. We rode the weekend before in WV, at Rush. Buying a SXS is a terrible waste of money. It's literally saying here's $10K I don't care about and I'm going to go beat it up for fun. BUUUUUT, how do you put a price on a smile and having fun? I love mine, and enjoy working on it and doing things to it more than I did with cars I was modding. I rolled my buggy last time out. Just a slow lay down on it's side. Climbed out, flipped it back over and it fired right up and we drove off. Nothing broke. Nothing was an issue later. Small cracked plastic piece, and tons of fun the next two days of riding. The biggest issue I see with these, is people don't do maintenance.

Best deals I have found are to join the facebook pages for them, and watch for people selling them that don't have time or a place to ride. I got a Can Am Maverick 100R, with 356 miles on it for $10K. It had about $2500 in upgrades too. The guy I bought from, his wife was on him about the monthly payment and never riding.

I'll have to check that place out. We rode the weekend before in WV, at Rush. Buying a SXS is a terrible waste of money. It's literally saying here's $10K I don't care about and I'm going to go beat it up for fun. BUUUUUT, how do you put a price on a smile and having fun? I love mine, and enjoy working on it and doing things to it more than I did with cars I was modding. I rolled my buggy last time out. Just a slow lay down on it's side. Climbed out, flipped it back over and it fired right up and we drove off. Nothing broke. Nothing was an issue later. Small cracked plastic piece, and tons of fun the next two days of riding. The biggest issue I see with these, is people don't do maintenance.

Best deals I have found are to join the facebook pages for them, and watch for people selling them that don't have time or a place to ride. I got a Can Am Maverick 100R, with 356 miles on it for $10K. It had about $2500 in upgrades too. The guy I bought from, his wife was on him about the monthly payment and never riding.

I agree with everything you said. Thats why Im trying to talk myself out of buying one. I know I would just burn money with it.

I will say though, I have more fun riding off road than I do driving at track days with my BRZ. The BRZ sets most of the time as well. Seems crazy to trade one for the other but its something I might consider.

I rode at Brimstone a couple years ago and enjoyed it there. Ive heard about Rush just havent been.

Ill sign up for one of those FB groups. I figured there would be some good deals to be had. I actually probably shouldn't but I will anyway.

I went on a trip with my YXZ this past weekend as well. I'll have to check the odometer, but I suspect it went somewhere around 75 miles through narrow trails, over small jumps, through water, etc. Any doubts I had about how it would act on the trails were quickly squashed, and it didn't miss a beat the entire time. The turbo system is plenty responsive for tight, technical trails without destroying low end grunt to get up steep, narrow trails where you're threading the needle through multiple unmovable objects.

I believe I bought mine for slightly under $18k brand new, put a few hundred into it to fix what I broke when my friends Mr. Jameson and Mr. Busch convinced me to smash it into a ditch, and maybe $1k into my budget turbo system. Call it $20k overall, and, as Joe said, you can't beat the smiles per gallon you get out of them, even if it's slightly inconvenient to ride around this area.

Considering the amount of money we spend on our project vehicles, one of these is a drop in the bucket and a nice escape to another form of motorsports/petroleum-fueled fun.

I agree with everything you said. Thats why Im trying to talk myself out of buying one. I know I would just burn money with it.

I will say though, I have more fun riding off road than I do driving at track days with my BRZ. The BRZ sets most of the time as well. Seems crazy to trade one for the other but its something I might consider.

I rode at Brimstone a couple years ago and enjoyed it there. Ive heard about Rush just havent been.

Ill sign up for one of those FB groups. I figured there would be some good deals to be had. I actually probably shouldn't but I will anyway.

I have done quite a few track events, between having a bike and a car on road courses. They cost a lot, and it became something I stopped doing. Now with the cars gone, I can drive the buggy like a rally car, or a trophy truck. The cost to ride is usually really cheap, like $20-$40 for the weekend, or $100 for the year. You have freedom on these trail systems, and the people are the most redneck, I mean that as a compliment, millionaires you would never know are out there. They are all friendly and willing to help, they are there to blow off steam too.

I have done quite a few track events, between having a bike and a car on road courses. They cost a lot, and it became something I stopped doing. Now with the cars gone, I can drive the buggy like a rally car, or a trophy truck. The cost to ride is usually really cheap, like $20-$40 for the weekend, or $100 for the year. You have freedom on these trail systems, and the people are the most redneck, I mean that as a compliment, millionaires you would never know are out there. They are all friendly and willing to help, they are there to blow off steam too.

Yeah for sure. Ive been doing HPDE's for over 10 years and recently find myself looking for reasons not to go. Along with the last couple times I ended up going by myself because friends backed out. I enjoy being "on track" but that just becomes so limited now a days with all the run groups and lunch breaks, etc. Everything outside of just driving has just become a hassle to me. Along with the fact I seem to get rained out 50% of the time.

I can get the same rush in that RZR 1000 and go whenever and wherever for as long as I want.

And yeah you'd think they were all broke d*ck until you see their trucks and trailers all over the place. Nice folks down in those parts.

Doesn't seem like a waste of money, if it's something you like to do. Just compare it to a boat, jetski, or even a Jeep/Bronco/TJ/etc modified for trail riding. You might be able to drive the Jeep every day, but you also would feel worse about taking your $50k rig down those trails.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I bought a 1990 geo tracker for this exact reason. This is so much fun off road, and its way cheaper than a SxS. I paid $1900 for mine, and can be found in decent shape for that price. I got a winch and changed all the fluids and have been having a blast with it on most weekends. Street legal is nice too, no need to trailer it around.

I bought a 1990 geo tracker for this exact reason. This is so much fun off road, and its way cheaper than a SxS. I paid $1900 for mine, and can be found in decent shape for that price. I got a winch and changed all the fluids and have been having a blast with it on most weekends. Street legal is nice too, no need to trailer it around.

Locking differentials and 31" tires will make a GEO nearly unstoppable. I went off roading for years and even if you factor my 6x6 military truck into it I never spent 10k so I know what your saying. The SxS does have the advantage of being light fast fun though.

Where have you been going?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Doesn't seem like a waste of money, if it's something you like to do. Just compare it to a boat, jetski, or even a Jeep/Bronco/TJ/etc modified for trail riding. You might be able to drive the Jeep every day, but you also would feel worse about taking your $50k rig down those trails.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

For sure. All those things are similar in nature. I just have to adjust my way of thinking a little.. My wife is ALL about the idea of dumping the BRZ which she hates and getting a SxS. She is the responsible one so there must be something to it.

I think it just depends on the type off-roading you want to do. I like speed so Im not sure something like this would fit the bill. I think I could buy a lesser version SxS and do similar things to a small vehicle like this if thats what I wanted. But your right the street ability is nice. I just think once you ride something that has 15-20" of suspension travel its hard to come down from that to a stock vehicle type suspension.

For sure. All those things are similar in nature. I just have to adjust my way of thinking a little.. My wife is ALL about the idea of dumping the BRZ which she hates and getting a SxS. She is the responsible one so there must be something to it.

I think it just depends on the type off-roading you want to do. I like speed so Im not sure something like this would fit the bill. I think I could buy a lesser version SxS and do similar things to a small vehicle like this if thats what I wanted. But your right the street ability is nice. I just think once you ride something that has 15-20" of suspension travel its hard to come down from that to a stock vehicle type suspension.

The answer is a rail buggy! I hate that they have lost popularity. I would still love to have a long travel street legal buggy or Baja bug. Maybe something with a narrower wheel base to allow access t sxs trails??

The answer is a rail buggy! I hate that they have lost popularity. I would still love to have a long travel street legal buggy or Baja bug. Maybe something with a narrower wheel base to allow access t sxs trails?

Nothing about an aircooled rail buggy screams SPEED to me. :-P

They are cool'ish I guess. We saw quite a few up at Silver Lake a few years ago. They even rent little homemade ones with small engine, engines in them. They were turds.

Nothing about an aircooled rail buggy screams SPEED to me. :-P

They are cool'ish I guess. We saw quite a few up at Silver Lake a few years ago. They even rent little homemade ones with small engine, engines in them. They were turds.

Definitely not air-cooled, although some have modded engines with decent power. That one is a fuel injected Jetta 4cyl.

I want an LS powered long travel lol.

Where exactly can you go and rent stuff like that and then ride around on trails? That looks fun as hell.

If there's a place to ride there is typically a place to rent a machine. Im not an expert by any means but I think the most common places within about 6 hrs would be,

Hatfield Mccoy trails

Rush

Brimstone

Silver Lake Dunes

If other peeps have places to ride, post em up.

My bestfriend bought a RZR 900 a few years ago. Thing was cool, but I'm not sure it was $15k worth of cool.

Shortly after buying it, he rolled it through a field, ejecting another friend of his, and giving him a severe enough head injury that his family decided to give his organs away to some other people.

My friend got pretty banged up; broken ribs, concussion, etc. Grant medical center was nice enough to inform him that the results of his abdominal CT showed he had some incidental findings of late stage cirrhosis of his liver and should probably quit drinking and making poor life choices.

He didn't and died 8 months later.

Moral of the story: Wear your seatbelts, wear your helmets, limit the drinking while on these things, and try to limit the dumb shit you do because they really will kill you.

My bestfriend bought a RZR 900 a few years ago. Thing was cool, but I'm not sure it was $15k worth of cool.

Shortly after buying it, he rolled it through a field, ejecting another friend of his, and giving him a severe enough head injury that his family decided to give his organs away to some other people.

My friend got pretty banged up; broken ribs, concussion, etc. Grant medical center was nice enough to inform him that the results of his abdominal CT showed he had some incidental findings of late stage cirrhosis of his liver and should probably quit drinking and making poor life choices.

He didn't and died 8 months later.

Moral of the story: Wear your seatbelts, wear your helmets, limit the drinking while on these things, and try to limit the dumb shit you do because they really will kill you.

Dang, debby downer. I thought I held that title. :-P

Anyone who rides these things and doesn't strap in is an idiot. They come with really good belts for a reason.

And yes, for some reason drinking is a big thing to do while riding these. I like to drink and to ride but not together.

Had a Suzuki Samurai back in HS/College and FB Marketplace keeps tempting me with sub-$2500 Tracker/X90/Amigo/Sidekick 4x4s. I just know in current life mode I'm never going anywhere really off road.

Love seeing you guys getting out there and off-road. I enjoy "Dirt Every Day" and love seeing Wrangler/off-road modding videos.