Anyone work on bicycles?

Gergwheel1647545492

I can completely get behind supporting someone on here.

Also many bike shops are still very small to small businesses; often only having 1 location. The corporate joints should be really obvious to spot; REI, Trek (are these fully corporate or franchise?), Performance Bike (out of business). Those are all of the big corporation ones that jump out at me when I do a Google Maps search for Bike Shop.

Bike source has maybe 3 locations. I was Very unimpressed when I went bike shopping there once, granted that was over 10 years ago, but it was enough for me to never bother going back.

Roll has maybe 4 locations, but I've been very impressed with how knowledgeable and friendly their staff has been whenever I've been in their stores. Still a relatively small operation in the grand scheme of things.

I would roughly guess every other shop I'm looking at when I search for bike shop is a locally owned 1 shop operation with usually just a few employees. These people usually have a strong passion for what they are doing. Bike shops are definitely not high profit operations and a good place to spend your money if you want to support small local businesses. Of course like everything that doesn't guarantee quality so do your research or get good recommendations. My go to would have been the bike shop up the street (the name is blanking me), but the owner had some serious health issues and the place closed. I have a good friend who is much more serious that I am have good experiences at Bear Wheels. I don't know anything about this one, other than they have a perfect google review rating and are in New Albany if you were still out that way. https://g.page/veloscience?share

PM me with some specifics. I still have some of my (now very) old tools from my bike shop days. Lack of time is the biggest hurdle, but may be able to help you out.

Any good videos or advice on adjusting a derailer? My daughters bike keeps popping the chain and I don’t know why. Works about 90% of the time but nice in a while it just pops off the front (single) sprocket.

Park Tools has a really good repair how to site.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

P.S. Maybe I'm not thinking about it correctly or don't understand well enough, but my intuition tells me that is less likely to be a rear derailleur issue and more likely to be a worn chain/sprocket issue.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/when-to-replace-a-chain-on-a-bicycle

Edited by Trouble Maker

Any good videos or advice on adjusting a derailer? My daughters bike keeps popping the chain and I don’t know why. Works about 90% of the time but nice in a while it just pops off the front (single) sprocket.

Clean and lube the pivots/springs that holds tension on the chain. Also, clean/lube the chain and check for any stiff/stuck links. Clean/degrease (Brake clean/carb cleaner) apply WD40/Blaster, work through full range of motion, lube with 3 in 1 oil, gun lube - just a light oil of some type. Be sure to visually inspect/feel for any looseness in the crank bearings and or bent sprocket or teeth.

As far as adjustment, there are two travel limit screws, shift into the lowest gear, be sure derailleur is aligned with the gear (look closely and you will see one of the screws against a "stop" - adjust it - if needed). Repeat with other screw on top gear. Check to be sure bike will still shift into highest and lowest gear - if adjusted too tight, the chain will balk/delay moving into the top/bottom gears. If so, looses adjusting screw for that gear slightly so it shifts smoothly.

Park Tools has a really good repair how to site.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

P.S. Maybe I'm not thinking about it correctly or don't understand well enough, but my intuition tells me that is less likely to be a rear derailleur issue and more likely to be a worn chain/sprocket issue.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/when-to-replace-a-chain-on-a-bicycle

Derailleur adjustment, not as likely. Dirty and sticking derailleur/stuck chain link - possibly. Wear is rarely an issue on bike sprockets - they (typically) just don't get enough use. Bent sprocket, maybe, but tends to be more consistent in dropping chains. Chains with a stuck link - common, but tens to also click/clunk as they go through the derailleur too.

It’s a new Walmart bike and the FIL paid to have Wally put it together so it’s likely not adjusted right. It seems to me there is a catch in the derailleur and it isn’t keeping tension on the chain right.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll see what I can figure out.