Any Good Chevy Service Departments?

indy82z

I will start off by saying that I hate taking my car into any dealership!! Now with that being said, I have a 2018 Camaro SS with the A8 transmission. These have had service bulletins for the transmissions because they have a known issue with TC shutter. While mine has not demonstrated this behavior, I also only have 3k miles. I would like to get it in and get the fluid flushed with whatever GM's latest "magic" fluid is and handle this before any damage is caused to the TC. Now with that being said, anyone know a good one that would just do this service without having to fight with them about it. I know tons of other Camaro owners have just taken their car in and told them that it is doing it to get the service, but I also know some dealers want to recreate the issue before they will do the TSB. I have been told that the latest TSB doesnt require diagnostic, but I also know how difficult some dealers can be too. I just want to protect my investment from a known issue. Anyone have experience with a good dealer that will just do the right thing and flush my trans without a fight?

Got the same trans in my Silverado and I had the same issue so I took it to Lash and they flushed it for free. It fixed the shudder, but it's still just a bad transmission with a pile of lawsuits building against it. At least you had the option of going with a manual, but let me guess.. mY WiFe cAn'T dRiVe sTiCk

Got the same trans in my Silverado and I had the same issue so I took it to Lash and they flushed it for free. It fixed the shudder, but it's still just a bad transmission with a pile of lawsuits building against it. At least you had the option of going with a manual, but let me guess.. mY WiFe cAn'T dRiVe sTiCk
The flush fixed your issues? Mine has developed it pretty badly under low throttle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The flush fixed your issues? Mine has developed it pretty badly under low throttle.

Yeah while cruising around 50mph it was fucking horrible, like I was going over a rumble strip. After getting the trans flushed it didn't do it anymore. However, after that, very low speeds (like 1mph with just the foot off the brake) were wonky, but that went away after a few hundred miles.

TSB 18-NA-355 is the most current tsb going from memory. I also hear doing a tranny tune will keep it away by disabling AFM. IDK if Chevy is doing a TC swap still or not for this issue.

When I had my Camaro the most mod friendly was Coughlin PATASKALA location.

I replied to your PM.

This stupid HP/LV fluid GM uses in these transmissions has been through a half a dozen revisions. All the early stuff had additives in it that attracted moisture, and in turn caused torque converter shudder. 95% of the ones I’ve seen are fixed by properly doing the flush procedure. Some need converters if it goes on long enough. I’ve done the flush procedure on Corvettes with less then 3k miles because they were already shuddering and it fixed them.

The transmissions have had some other issues but I’m not a trans tech so I don’t really see them. I know there have been some drum failures and quite a few get damaged enough that we replace whole units a lot of the time, but like I said I’m not the one doing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the 20 quart service done on the Callaway today. Drives better already, I'll report back after 200 miles.

Coughlin gave me no resistance doing the tsb under warranty.

Had the 20 quart service done on the Callaway today. Drives better already, I'll report back after 200 miles.

Coughlin gave me no resistance doing the tsb under warranty.

Yeah when the bulletin first came out to flush them, they wanted data logs to show the shudder and it would tie up a tech for half a day. If you didn’t get it captured to meet their specs they’d deny the warranty claim. It was a bitch. Being the Corvette tech half of them were just guys wanting it done because l they read it on the internet. It sucked.

However 4-5 months ago they stopped requiring that so it’s not a big deal. Camaros pay just over an hour, while Corvettes pay 3 hours to do. Of course now I just do it when someone asks because it doesn’t matter.