HUMMER EV

zeitgeist57

This thing is bananas....B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/10/20/2022-gmc-hummer-ev-reveal/

The stats are insane. We are in rarified air, gentlemen...EVs are rightfully taking over and I welcome our new overlords.

Will be even better 7-10 years from now when these things are depreciated.

I’m all for the horsepower and instant torque. Having decent experience with Tesla, it’s a very, very fun car to drive.

I’m not sure I’ll make the switch for a few years, I just love the sound of a big turbo/SC V8 too much right now.

Fuck I can't wait to actually be able to afford something lmao. An EV truck is really what I've been waiting for, the Cybertruck is a bit too over the top for me. The Hummer isn't much better, but it is better.

Also master stroke of genius turning Hummer into an EV brand, taking what was basically the poster child of $4.00/gal gas and turning it around.

This thing is bananas....B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/10/20/2022-gmc-hummer-ev-reveal/

The stats are insane. We are in rarified air, gentlemen...EVs are rightfully taking over and I welcome our new overlords.

Will be even better 7-10 years from now when these things are depreciated.

Will be interesting how this stuff plays out. Will be sold through GMC dealers, so I look forward to getting one at work.

I however doubt you’ll want one at 7-10 years, maybe if the value plummets it will be worth it, but I can’t see GM pushing anything to be long lasting and old batteries will scare people off. Will be interesting either way.

Will be interesting how this stuff plays out. Will be sold through GMC dealers, so I look forward to getting one at work.

I however doubt you’ll want one at 7-10 years, maybe if the value plummets it will be worth it, but I can’t see GM pushing anything to be long lasting and old batteries will scare people off. Will be interesting either way.

FWIW, Model S batteries have had pretty great degradation over time, and there has been a huge aftermarket around Teslas created to keep the older one's up to date and running. Even Tesla itself sells upgrades for its older models. I imagine if the Hummer EV's take off the same would happen.

GM Engineer 1: Hey what's that thing that everyone in the 1980's and 90's hated about our cars?

GM Engineer 2: Leaky T-tops

GM Engineer 1: Yeah, we should put that on our new $112K competition for $30K offroaders because that would be super funny

GM Engineer 2: totally, it would be like a 4 door 1979 Trans Am. Long Live the Bandit!

I like the thing, and I like that it's ev, but I think I would also like an actual ICE powered $30K competition for the wrangler from GM (with a stick). Maybe keep the hummer one EV and release the gas one as a chevy (maybe resurrect the K5 moniker).

looks like a damn ridgeline

+1. I see Humvee's nearly daily at work and this is just...lol. I don't even care about the electric aspect. It looks weak and will never be used as the promo photos show. Mall crawler to the extreme. "Water fording". :lolguy:

~$100k? LOL

This. What are all of you "car guys" talkimbout? Just...lol. SOOOOOO many better things you can get for the money.

Some of y'all remind me of my 85 year old grandpa that gets all gaga over the latest tech because in 1942 he didn't have that. He LOVES that his ceiling fan can be turned on with a remote control even though he's had it for a decade.

I don't HATE it but to call it a "beast" is just...lol. Ruining the "Hummer" name once again.

What a waste. Bam Margera would love to trash one I bet.

...but that's IMHO. YMMV.

Our off-road guy did a pretty big breakdown on the release of this thing. We talked about it in our last huddle and all thought it was neat, but there are still so many questions to be answered. EVs are neat, but I'm not sold on their long term and widespread sustainability yet due to the batteries and what it takes to make them.

Now, what I would LOVE to do is take this gnarly powertrain and swap it into a lightweight car to see what all those torques would do on a big set of slicks :fuckyeah:

Agreed with most of the feedback here. It's not that I'm a targeted consumer for GMC, but I dig the engineering and GM needs to lease/sell as many as they can build to get the price down and make other products possible for us to afford and drive.

Agreed with most of the feedback here. It's not that I'm a targeted consumer for GMC, but I dig the engineering and GM needs to lease/sell as many as they can build to get the price down and make other products possible for us to afford and drive.

Yep, the only way to advance towards the Demolition Man utopia some want us to live in is to keep doing research and solving problems.

I'd love to see bigger breakthroughs in battery tech that use different materials and shrink the size more.

Our off-road guy did a pretty big breakdown on the release of this thing. We talked about it in our last huddle and all thought it was neat, but there are still so many questions to be answered. EVs are neat, but I'm not sold on their long term and widespread sustainability yet due to the batteries and what it takes to make them.

Now, what I would LOVE to do is take this gnarly powertrain and swap it into a lightweight car to see what all those torques would do on a big set of slicks :fuckyeah:

One of the issues I see with this is battery weight is high. So even if you had a light chassis if you use the stock batteries, the weight still won't be all that light. But the total energy needed for a 1/4 pass is way less than making it 200-300 miles. So I wonder if smaller quick swap battery/batteries would work well. You would need really high C rate with a 'smaller' battery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_battery#C_rate

IIRC on the Buckeye Bullet the just have enough charge for 1 run and either swap the batteries or quick charge between quick enough to the their other direction pass. I think it has to be within a few hours.

On an interesting note, OSU-CAR also took an electric powered motorcycle to Isle of Man TT.

https://www.google.com/search?q=isle+of+man+tt+OSU+CAR+electric+bike

Have you dug much into anyone doing EV with drag racing? I guess it's probably pretty rare at this point. I'm curious to some of the inventive ways people have or will come up with to make EV in Motorsports viable.

One of the issues I see with this is battery weight is high. So even if you had a light chassis if you use the stock batteries, the weight still won't be all that light. But the total energy needed for a 1/4 pass is way less than making it 200-300 miles. So I wonder if smaller quick swap battery/batteries would work well. You would need really high C rate with a 'smaller' battery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_battery#C_rate

IIRC on the Buckeye Bullet the just have enough charge for 1 run and either swap the batteries or quick charge between quick enough to the their other direction pass. I think it has to be within a few hours.

On an interesting note, OSU-CAR also took an electric powered motorcycle to Isle of Man TT.

https://www.google.com/search?q=isle+of+man+tt+OSU+CAR+electric+bike

Have you dug much into anyone doing EV with drag racing? I guess it's probably pretty rare at this point. I'm curious to some of the inventive ways people have or will come up with to make EV in Motorsports viable.

Yeah, we've got a few over here. A guy went over 200 with an e-dragster

GM made this thing go fast

https://www.dragzine.com/news/chevys-electric-ecopo-achieves-9-second-goal-in-pomona-exhibition/

Ford has its own toy

https://www.dragzine.com/news/fords-electric-cobra-jet-1400-to-debut-at-nhra-u-s-nationals/

I've seen the E1400 in person and it's impressive.

I'd love to see bigger breakthroughs in battery tech that use different materials and shrink the size more.

Tesla just had their 'battery day' which solves basically all these, but they said its gonna be a couple of years before its ready.

It should also quell the "EvS aRe WoRsE fOr ThE eNvIrOnMeNt ThAn IcE eNgInEs" idiots, especially since they are ditching cobalt all together.

Tesla just had their 'battery day' which solves basically all these, but they said its gonna be a couple of years before its ready.

It should also quell the "EvS aRe WoRsE fOr ThE eNvIrOnMeNt ThAn IcE eNgInEs" idiots, especially since they are ditching cobalt all together.

I really hope that's true because right now EVs are worse for the environment. I'm not against them, I just don't think they're the solution, yet.

My dad was a science teacher for 30 years so I'm fascinated by the subject. I firmly believe that as a civilization we must invest more in real science if we don't want to die out.

We just had a second iPhone 6s (daughters) fail due to a lousy battery. This looks to be to be a $100k iPhone situation just waiting to happen. Not sure how much life a 7 year old Tesla has in their batteries but I know they degrade and I'm sure GM will be playing catch up on reliability.

Sad but true and when the new C8's are experiencing what they are, I'm not sure GM is ready to roll out all this newness.