Tips for buying an (old) new motorcycle

greg1647545532

The Zero's do almost nothing for me. They are based too much off of traditional motorcycle architecture, parts and design, which seems big, bulky and heavy VS mountain bike or some in-between. I think the later would be perfect for city riding. I really think the growth market is a city runabout that's more like a beefy bicycle (think downhill bike) or scooter VS motorcycle. I think the average person is going to feel much more comfortable on something that's more the size and style of a bicycle or scooter. Personally I have a ton more experience on mountain bikes, so that's what I selfishly want. I think it would be much more controllable/fun/flick-able, whatever you want to call it at those weights and sizes.

I used to sell Zero back when all they had was the S and the DS. Ride one, it will change your mind. It's an electric motorcycle and that's the point. There are people who want an electric motorcycle that don't want a bicycle architecture or anything nearly as lightweight.

There are already electric bicycles and that tech is at it's limits until the next battery tech advancement that makes the battery much smaller.

The biggest challenge to electric adoption in the city is charging. In really urban areas there aren't a lot of places for an apartment owner to charge their bike. Most don't have garage or even outdoor outlet access. An electric motorcycle works as well as a bicycle in an urban environment so there is no advantage to a smaller lighter one that you can't take on the highway.

I really want a 'big' electric-bicycle/small-motorcycle for puttzing town. Think something around 100-150lbs, looks like a beefy mountain bike but electric only with decent range/speed and the right lights to be road legal. I don't think anyone is making anything in this segment that's not a pile yet. I do think it's going to be a segment that grows massively in the coming years.

Something like this but actually meet's it's specs. https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike-black-edition/

https://electrek.co/2019/08/15/xiaomi-introduces-c16-electric-bike/