My garage build

Tractor

I finally got to a point where I can build myself a shop, when its finished it will be a 30x40 all steel with 12ft walls. Once the weather got cool enough this October I started getting the site ready and I did as much of the work myself as I could do. I did hire a crew to pour and finish the concrete after I leveled the ground, built the forms and installed the rebar myself. I also installed several 2" PVC conduits from my electric meter to the slab for network and electricity and also ran a water pipe from the house to the slab as well. I'll likely install at least a spigot for attaching a water hose near the garage.

Now I'm just waiting for the concrete to cure and in the next couple weeks the building will be delivered and the installation is included in the price. I'm hoping I'll be doing electrical by the end of the month and have 16 4' LED lights ready to hang.

20201030-134156.jpg

20201209-124124.jpg

20201223-160035.jpg

• 1 month later...

Been waiting on rain to clear out and finally was able to get the guys out to put the garage up. They started unloading the truck after 7am and got it this far by 9. Wish I could help, but they know what they are doing.

thumbnail-20210204-073716.jpg

thumbnail-20210204-091112.jpg

pretty sure they have it right. The "ribs" are supposed to give lateral rigidity to the panel to prevent buckling from wind blowing across it. The inside of the house is high pressure and any wind blowing across the outside is low atmospheric pressure, which means the stronger the gust the more the walls want to peel away from the house.

With rare exception, wind doesn't blow vertically. If you put the channels vertical instead of horizontal, every time there is a gust that blows against the outside skin the skin would ripple.

Thats possible, they are certified engineered for the codes here to exceed 140MPH wind load. Once they are done, I'm installing the electrical panel and pulling the service cable through the conduit I installed and maybe I'll have electricity to an outlet this weekend.

Right now I'm messing around in sketchup trying to figure out how I'm gonna attach the electrical panel to the wall. Right now I'm either gonna frame it in somehow with metal tubes/studs or angle iron or maybe do something similar, but mount it to a wooden backboard. I'll need access to the sides of the panel to attach EMT conduit so that adds a little bit of thinking to get it rolling.

Awesome progress, what are your plans once the shells up?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I do a lot of DIY hobbies, cars, building things, lots of wood and steel and electronics so its gonna be a working garage. I made it big enough that I can get my 6x6 truck inside and do work on it. I built the workshop area to the side to be about 16x30 to give me space to put larger saws and keep some of my projects seperated. I'm planning to put the automotive tools against the back wall opposite the doors so that stuff can stay handy for the car work and I'll probably get a lift soon its not a high priority right now, but something I can use.

For now I'll be getting the electric done. I have it 90% laid out in SketchUp and just have to get the EMT conduit, outlet boxes and wire. I do plan to insulate it and I'm thinking I'll go with 1-2" reflective rigid board insulation. Then I'll probably do something to get some AC in there for the hot months.

My youngest daughter just turned 10 and loves to do DIY stuff so she's gonna be building and learning in there as well. My other one is a princess so she's just hoping the garage means I fix my Cadillac so she doesn't have to ride to school in a minivan.

Sure 14500 installed. I did the evacuating myself and with covid going around my family won't come help so I did have to pay some guys to do that concrete which was 6000.

I wanted to do a pole style myself and had it completely priced at the same cost and it would have taken me months to do. Here the pole building would have needed to be designed by an engineer for the wind loads so that was gonna be a lot more as well.

My parents were talking with the companies over near Charlotte for a 12x24 and it was gonna be 5000-6000. Everywhere I checked when I was price shopping the bigger you went the better the comparative price. The small ones they have as models show you some pretty small tubing literally carports, the 30x40 ups that to 2"x3" all over.

Over the weekend I was able to get a 2 gauge cable pulled through my conduit about 100ft, install the breaker panel, and get a 20amp outlet installed. I also installed 2 ground rods and attached all the grounding to a built in UFER ground I created out of the concrete's rebar system before I poured the slab.

The really hard work is done, now I'll be bending conduit, and pulling wiring inside for outlets and lights for a while. I have a shelving and work bench system designed in sketchup and I'll probably at least start on that very soon to keep stuff off the floor.

20210208-173425.jpg

Over the weekend I was able to get a 2 gauge cable pulled through my conduit about 100ft, install the breaker panel, and get a 20amp outlet installed. I also installed 2 ground rods and attached all the grounding to a built in UFER ground I created out of the concrete's rebar system before I poured the slab.

The really hard work is done, now I'll be bending conduit, and pulling wiring inside for outlets and lights for a while. I have a shelving and work bench system designed in sketchup and I'll probably at least start on that very soon to keep stuff off the floor.

20210208-173425.jpg

I'm not sure what you're wiring plan is, beyond emt, but have you thought about duct? I thought of it because I have access to free leftovers on our job sites, but I'm sure it can be purchased.

You just run a main trunk the length of your building and put in emt drops where necessary. Makes later additions really easy and you can just lay your wire in with no pulling.

I'll see if I can find some pics to explain.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk