MPG change?

BBQdDude

Ford F-150 XLT gets 28MPG on freeway

Add a motorcycle trailer (standard Uhaul motorcycle trailer) and a harley to the mix for 1600 additional pounds.

How much would the MPG go down?

Going to Florida and trying to calculate gas money for the trip.

Don't laugh too hard lol.

You might be surprised, I did a similar trip years ago with two jet skis in my loaded down 4Runner and only lost 1-2 mpg the entire trip.

Sounds about right... dad used to have an F-150 (somewhere in the '00 to '05 model range), and the thing absolutely refused to get anything other than about 15mpg no matter whether it was city, highway, towing the boat, hauling mulch... it always came out 15 when he added up the gas receipts.

What F-150 other than the diesel gets 28mpg on the freeway empty? You hand calculating or going by the lie-o-meter?

I went by the pie-o-meter for the lie-o-meter readings (wifes truck)

Assuming this is open trailer not enclosed...a singe bike on an open trailer isn't going to cause much wind drag behind a full size truck which is the bigger effect to consider than the extra weight. As others have stated I'd guess the drop in MPG is pretty minimal there maybe 3-4 mpg....5 at the worst.

Put that same weight in an enclosed trailer and it's a whole other ballgame.

Also no way it's getting 28 to begin with but different discussion for a different day.

what engine in the F150? 2.7L? 3.5L? V8?

Those u-haul motorcycle trailers are heavier than they have a right to be. They tow like crap and the sheet metal sides are not aerodynamic. I towed one with my Jeep (4.0L I6) which normally gets 18-20 mpg highway and it got 12mpg. A V8 F150 probably won't feel it but a 2.7L probably will suffer, turbo or not.

5.0 F150 getting 28mpg highway is the first issue to address. I mean it really just does not happen without incredible weight reduction and maybe flat ground at 55mph.

Real life, real calculation = real answer of 12-15MPG, OH to FL at 70MPH.

what engine in the F150? 2.7L? 3.5L? V8?

Those u-haul motorcycle trailers are heavier than they have a right to be. They tow like crap and the sheet metal sides are not aerodynamic. I towed one with my Jeep (4.0L I6) which normally gets 18-20 mpg highway and it got 12mpg. A V8 F150 probably won't feel it but a 2.7L probably will suffer, turbo or not.

my 18 f150 was a 2.7 turbo ecoboost and hauled 5200 lbs multiple times a week and didnt miss a beat. got 14mpgs towing 22.5/23 freeway unloaded/not towing..

my 3.5 ecoboost 2020 gets about 10.8 towing my 6600 lb meat wagon and around 21.5 unloaded/not towing

my 18 f150 was a 2.7 turbo ecoboost and hauled 5200 lbs multiple times a week and didnt miss a beat. got 14mpgs towing 22.5/23 freeway unloaded/not towing..

my 3.5 ecoboost 2020 gets about 10.8 towing my 6600 lb meat wagon and around 21.5 unloaded/not towing

suffer as in use more fuel towing than empty, all should be able to tow the weight.

Edited by Geeto67

Ever since buying a diesel truck I’m completely entertained by everyone’s towing claims.

“I got 30 mpg towing the other day...don’t mind the fact I was locked in top gear and going 37mph on the freeway.”

My 3.0 duramax gets 13-14 max in real world conditions..that means going 80-82mph and not trying to draft semi’s and shit. Best my old 6.0l LS truck did was maybe 8 so this is a great improvement but it’s not the 17-20 that everyone claims they get. Life’s too short to tow at 70mph.

Life’s too short to tow at 70mph.

AMEN

unless I'm way overloaded and sneaking along country roads, I'm moving with traffic between 70-80mph. Towing a motorcycle and trailer costs a sportwagen about 4ish mpg. I just made that up.

Derek, I'm curious about the reason for the truck change, why go to the 3.5L or 2.7L? Just to make it easier to tow?

my 2.7 truck just had a $95 hitch option no support pkgs. 7200 limit and was going out of warranty.

3.5 towing pkg (not max tow) is rated for 10,500

daily not towing.. i feel little difference between the 2.7tt and 3.5tt

my 2.7 truck just had a $95 hitch option no support pkgs. 7200 limit and was going out of warranty.

3.5 towing pkg (not max tow) is rated for 10,500

daily not towing.. i feel little difference between the 2.7tt and 3.5tt

Makes sense. RE my towing thread, we'll all use the Jeep for now. My parents are still talking about getting a 3-5 year used truck, especially when/if they do a multi-month trip out west. It's great to hear real world experiences, especially since the weight you quoted on your new trailer is pretty close to what their camper should be loaded. They are still stuck in a mindset of needing V6's over L4's from when V6's had less power than most 4 cylinders do now. My dad was convinced he wants a 3/4 ton, but I think it's too much capability with no real benefit for them over a 1/2 ton but with downsides; rougher ride, higher cost, higher fuel consumption all of the time. So I'm trying to steer him towards a half ton since they are so capable now. But, I'm still torn about steering him towards something in the capability/towing range of the 2.7L ecoboost or more towards the 3.5L ecoboost level trucks. I think after they tow with the Jeep some they might want more margin, but I think he'll realize a mid-level capacity 1/2 ton will be enough.

I've got some experience with the 2.7L w/5k#s towing and I think the capability there is awesome. But that wasn't through the mountains, and their camper will probably be closer to 6-6.5k#s loaded. So I can't decide if the 2.7L with a good towing/payload package behind it will be enough/easy enough for them to tow with or if the 3.5L is 'necessary' there; worth the price and fuel economy hit.

Makes sense. RE my towing thread, we'll all use the Jeep for now. My parents are still talking about getting a 3-5 year used truck, especially when/if they do a multi-month trip out west. It's great to hear real world experiences, especially since the weight you quoted on your new trailer is pretty close to what their camper should be loaded. They are still stuck in a mindset of needing V6's over L4's from when V6's had less power than most 4 cylinders do now. My dad was convinced he wants a 3/4 ton, but I think it's too much capability with no real benefit for them over a 1/2 ton but with downsides; rougher ride, higher cost, higher fuel consumption all of the time. So I'm trying to steer him towards a half ton since they are so capable now. But, I'm still torn about steering him towards something in the capability/towing range of the 2.7L ecoboost or more towards the 3.5L ecoboost level trucks. I think after they tow with the Jeep some they might want more margin, but I think he'll realize a mid-level capacity 1/2 ton will be enough.

you can get a 2.7 with a towing pkg and payload pkg thats rated for like 9600. a 3.5 is 2k more than a 2.7 on a new build truck.