Harbor freight spring compressor

cstmg8

We've talked about these before. Last night I survived using these once again, to install a lift on my buddy's Tacoma. The safety pins will never fit over a spring that I have to compress. Every crank you have to wonder if it will be your last, a ticking time bomb that you and your good friend are voluntarily holding to the shop cart. Eventually I get impatient and put the impact on them, lol.

There has to be something better. What have you found?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm assuming you know that the "fright" was intentional after reading it?

Yes, I still use mine to this day. I’m probably not very smart but not too big of a deal as I don’t do enough to really worry too much. Edit: my reply was more along the lines of “I have found nothing else but haven’t really looked hard either”

So, what's the final verdict? Are these actually as bad as people say or is there something reasonably priced and sized that's better for a few times of use? I definitely don't want/have the space for what Skinner posted above and it feels pricey for maybe/hopefully 1 time now (probably more later) of use.

Not helpful to the question, but on a Tacoma you can easily replace the springs with no compressors at all...just drop the LCA down and its pretty effortless.
I wondered about doing it that way, but never have. They aren't bad at all, but we were installing 5100's so we needed to rebuild the coilover assemblies.

I wondered about doing it that way, but never have. They aren't bad at all, but we were installing 5100's so we needed to rebuild the coilover assemblies.

Yep, loosen LCA bolts, sway bar, the strut top nut, and remove the bottom knuckle bolts and then lower it until the spring is out of tension (usually before the strut even drops through the top hat). Then you just put the new spring, strut ect up in there and use a jack to compress it all back together - throw on the top nut and bottom bolts and done.

Also ALWAYS tighten the LCA bolts when the truck is on the ground under weight - otherwise the LCAs are toast.

There has to be something better. What have you found?

Strut/Coil Spring/Mount Assembly... not always an option but, if it is, it is the only option I will use. Having all new parts is beneficial, the amount of time saved is beneficial and the safety factor is well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...