WWCRD: Grand Cherokee replacement?

Trouble Maker

Not really a 'what would you buy' but looking for alternatives that I haven't considered or found yet. What's off the beaten path that's not come across my radar, Xterra, some Subaru? What else should I look at?

The Jeep has everything I want, but done with it and going to sell for other reasons, that's another story for another thread/day.

Something along the lines of the 4Runner or Lexus GX. Different size or type is OK. FJ would be awesome, just about perfect, but you can't get full time 4WD w/Auto and IMHO they are overpriced even considering the current inflated market. You can get a newer and lower mileage 4Runner or GX for similar prices, so I think those make more sense.

Must have: History of high reliability. Full time 4WD/AWD with off-road capability. Space inside for outdoor gear, recover gear, etc. So an SUV is probably best. Trucks would be OK, but they are both longer and have less room inside and I don't see a high need for a truck bed for what I'm looking for.

High Want: Deep aftermarket support.

Medium Want: ACC, but probably not getting there in my budge e.g. To get it in the GX you need to go to 2018 and the 4Runner 2020 and those are over budget.

Budget: 20-30k, can stretch higher but would really like to stick to closer to mid 20s.

The 4Runner Limited seems like the winner, full time 4WD w/A-Trac, center locker w/low gear, but loses rear locker, KDSS compared to Trail/TRD. Center low lock and A-Trac is probably enough for what I want to do, and if needed front and rear lockers can be added later.

GX seems great too, full time 4WD w/center lockable independent from hi/low, A-Trac and I think they have rear locker and KDSS too. The front end post 2014 seems like a garbage design choice for off-roading, but gotta have that spindle grill.

I'm still heavily leaning towards SUVs, but the Colorado ZR2 seems tempting. Unclear what '4WD Auto' is; real time system or some simpler auto center locker. It's also over-budget since it just came out in 17'.

Edited by Trouble Maker

The Limited is a great choice.

I have been eyeing GX's for about a year now, and it is very likely my next purchase if that ever comes time....couple years maybe.

Its hard not to sell the FJ with how much they are going for.

The GX might be the right choice on paper value/features VS price, but I keep coming back to the rolldown rear window on the 4Runner winning me over.

I was going to get in touch with you if I decided to go the FJ route, but since I'm leaning towards 4Runner/GX, maybe no need. :)

I imagine you can sell and get in maybe an even newer GX with the FJs prices right now. Throw a few $$$$ at it and get something much newer/lower mileage. But also the FJ will probably lose near zero value from here on out.

Rear window open is nice, but with a vehicle that has rear side windows it may not make much of a difference. I always prop open the FJ rear glass since I ONLY have the front side windows. Downside is all the dust and shit that comes in from the back - exhaust on the freeway ect. Still a great feature, but not sure it would make or break a decision.

It's an FCA vehicle. [emoji38]
[emoji17]

Had zero problems with my '18 Durango so far with 76k miles on it. <fingers crossed> But might have to get something from GM as I rack up the miles (now that I switched jobs).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

[emoji17]

I wanted to keep the focus on ideas for next vehicle and not what's wrong with the Jeep. And not that anyone here ever owes anyone an explanation. But if I owe anyone here an explanation it would be you since I know how it feels to pour yourself into a product.

It's been a great car, exactly what I wanted... but...

Since I got it in December it's been in the shop 3 times for diesel emissions systems related issues; 1 recall and 2 other fixes. Luckily most of it's been covered under recalls or by (class action court ordered) extended warranty. But, it's just too much for my liking, and this last time it was in the shop too long and finally I had to cover $4xx of what I felt should have been covered. It now has a new DOC/DPF, DEF line, injector and pump, 1 of the EGTs, EGR cooler (recall). I think this would have been $4-5k if not covered under warranty. Am I dumb to get rid of a used car with coverage one of the major systems that seems to have issues, to get a different used car with no coverage but I think should be better? What happens when another system fails that's not covered (air sus, there are possible a few electrical issues that are common problems)?

To top it off when I got it back from the EGR recall I go to poke around under the hood to check out the fix and one of the sound deadeners and engine cover is missing, 1st trip back to the dealership post fix. After this time I get home and notice a loud gurgling. Quickly realize the coolant reservoir is boiling, had spit out some coolant. The cap wasn't tightened down fully, just lightly put on. Luckily our house isn't far from the dealer so it only got slightly over normal temp. Need to go back again today so the can 'top off and bleed to make sure no air got into the system'. I'm not even sure why they would have been in the coolant system for DOC/DPF, EGT and EGR injector and lines. Did they do the test drives like this?

2021-08-24-8-18-46.png

Even driving it home last night I was wondering if I should keep it. I think it's exactly what I wanted out of a vehicle and anything else I get won't drive as nice (body-on-frame and coil sus VS air sus on unibody) and be more expensive.

To be fair, I'm not laying all of the blame for this system on FCA (or is this VM Motori's part?). Everyone seems to have varying levels of issues with the new diesel emissions systems. Which seem to be too complicated for anyone to figure out how to do with high reliability, at least not in an economic way. The emissions systems mandates on diesels now are really strict, specific and seem overbearing. This is coming from someone who would rather sell this than do an emissions systems delete kit.

Congrats on the new job! Where did you go (GM?), what will you be doing?

Edited by Trouble Maker

I wanted to keep the focus on ideas for next vehicle and not what's wrong with the Jeep. And not that anyone here ever owes anyone an explanation. But if I owe anyone here an explanation it would be you since I know how it feels to pour yourself into a product.

It's been a great car, exactly what I wanted... but...

Since I got it in December it's been in the shop 3 times for diesel emissions systems related issues; 1 recall and 2 other fixes. Luckily most of it's been covered under recalls or by (class action court ordered) extended warranty. But, it's just too much for my liking, and this last time it was in the shop too long and finally I had to cover $4xx of what I felt should have been covered. It now has a new DOC/DPF, DEF line, injector and pump, 1 of the EGTs, EGR cooler (recall). I think this would have been $4-5k if not covered under warranty. Am I dumb to get rid of a used car with coverage one of the major systems that seems to have issues, to get a different used car with no coverage but I think should be better? What happens when another system fails that's not covered (air sus, there are possible a few electrical issues that are common problems)?

To top it off when I got it back from the EGR recall I go to poke around under the hood to check out the fix and one of the sound deadeners and engine cover is missing, 1st trip back to the dealership post fix. After this time I get home and notice a loud gurgling. Quickly realize the coolant reservoir is boiling, had spit out some coolant. The cap wasn't tightened down fully, just lightly put on. Luckily our house isn't far from the dealer so it only got slightly over normal temp. Need to go back again today so the can 'top off and bleed to make sure no air got into the system'. I'm not even sure why they would have been in the coolant system for DOC/DPF, EGT and EGR injector and lines. Did they do the test drives like this?

2021-08-24-8-18-46.png

Even driving it home last night I was wondering if I should keep it. I think it's exactly what I wanted out of a vehicle and anything else I get won't drive as nice (body-on-frame and coil sus VS air sus on unibody) and be more expensive.

To be fair, I'm not laying all of the blame for this system on FCA (or is this VM Motori's part?). Everyone seems to have varying levels of issues with the new diesel emissions systems. Which seem to be too complicated for anyone to figure out how to do with high reliability, at least not in an economic way. The emissions systems mandates on diesels now are really strict, specific and seem overbearing. This is coming from someone who would rather sell this than do an emissions systems delete kit.

Congrats on the new job! Where did you go (GM?), what will you be doing?

Yeah, I hate hearing stories like this where a lot of the frustration stems from a shitty dealer and botched service, but I understand it.

I took a job at GM working on UltraCruise, so staying in the same general field (AD). Probably not much else I can say besides that lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I took a job at GM working on UltraCruise, so staying in the same general field (AD). Probably not much else I can say besides that lol.

Awesome, good luck! I hadn't heard of GMs next iteration yet, but from a quick read looks like level 2 hands off in (almost) all situations.... or all scenes but not situations? Not sure what the lingo is up in Detroit. ;)

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32601018/gm-ultra-cruise-super-cruise-city-streets/

But yeah, I know you can't say any details. :)

After this time I get home and notice a loud gurgling. Quickly realize the coolant reservoir is boiling, had spit out some coolant. The cap wasn't tightened down fully, just lightly put on. Luckily our house isn't far from the dealer so it only got slightly over normal temp. Need to go back again today so the can 'top off and bleed to make sure no air got into the system'. I'm not even sure why they would have been in the coolant system for DOC/DPF, EGT and EGR injector and lines. Did they do the test drives like this?

2021-08-24-8-18-46.png

I can't even make this shit up... I'm livid right now.

2021-08-24-11-34-59.png

I can't even make this shit up... I'm livid right now.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything but is there any evidence that they messed with it? You even said you don't know why they would. Not trolling. Just wondering if they honestly didn't even touch it.

Maybe leaned on it while working and moving around caused it? I dunno. Never heard of that happening. Just playing devil's advocate.

Ok, back to the topic at hand...I'll tell the story of the Jeep when it's 'over'.

Lexus GX and 4Runner Limited under 100kmi and under $35k within 100miles.

No really specific reason as we go down that rabbit hole, especially the 100mi limit. I went to Toledo to look at the first GC I drove but didn't buy due to cigarette smoke and otherwise not great condition, which is more than 100mi away.

Any thoughts on any of these?

It feels like there prices are similar on similar year/mileage, but maybe also similar size/feature set.

The GX gets V8 noises and 6AT (4Runner 5AT), and increased towing capacity. It also has optional rear air sus (just bags) which is a nice feature if towing. In reality the 4Runner is a 'lil' bit big' V6 (4.0L) and the GX a 'kinda' small' V8 (4.6L) so the displacement is only ~15% higher on the GX, power ~10% higher and TQ ~20% higher but the GX also weighs more so real world performance is probably pretty close.

The 4Runner might have more interior space/volume, higher base ground clearance, slightly higher approach/departure angles (rear on the GX is higher w/air sus & high setting), and the rear window.

Really I just need to go drive a few of each kind.

Do think hard about the rear tailgate.... While it is going to be better for a swingout, its annoying to use compared to something like the 4Runner that swings up.

just a little thing....again that should hardly impact the overall purchase, but you have to live with.

My neighbor bought a used 16 4 runner and said its anemic and painfully slow (he came from a v8 armada). I know you never mentioned fast, but you may want to drive a 4runner and see how painful it is(especially coming from a turbo diesel)

I talked to two people on here/formerly on here with GXs quite a bit on FB yesterday and I'm heavily leaning towards GX now. One of them said he was dead set on a 4Runner, happened to drive a GX while he was at a dealer and bought it instead. I'll still go check out/drive both, but with similar prices the GX seems like the winner.

Just saw a pretty big selling point for me for the GX, 40/20/40 2nd row.

The 4Runner only has it with 2 row, but the limited trim is 3 row only. 3 row 4Runners 2nd row is 50/50 or 60/40 split.

Went on a day ski trip last winter that was supposed to be 3 people but changed to 4 and we couldn't take the Jeep due to 40/60 split and all of the gear. We could have still taken the Jeep if it was 40/20/40. I felt bad that another person on the trip that puts way more miles on their truck than I normally do on my Jeep had to end up driving.

Probably not a big deal for most, but I think it will be a useful feature for me.

Before i purchased my Taco i looked at FJ's, I've always liked them and thought that now they were getting a bit older maybe i could score a higher mileage one for cheap.... HA! no fucking way. The resale prices on those things are insane, i did find a perfect condition FJ but he was asking so much I couldn't justify it.

Back to topic, My vote is the GX. Great vehicles, Toyota reliability, not sure how the aftermarket is. You'd think since it's a rebadged 4runner a lot of parts would be interchangeable?

If you'd not dead set on it yet have you considered a truck with a cap? Or an Xterra? You could get into a TRD Taco in your price range, a decent cap would be around $1000. Or even look at Nissan Frontier Pro4x. I'll admit, the cab of my taco isn't the biggest though so it might not fit all of your needs. Xterra's would be a much more affordable option but lets be honest... the fit and finish of a GX compared to an Xterra? k

Let us know what you pick up.

I think you should look into a 2000's GM Tracker. Great platform for off-roading and offered in a 4dr. you could buy 4 or 5 of them and still be WAY under budget, every person in your friend circle could get one and drive themselves to the day ski trip