Post-COVID fun car for sub-$6k?

zeitgeist57

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do it if you want a fun toy. alot of suspension options, cd009/z31 5 speed trans options, countless adapter plates for swaps, etc.

here is my word of caution with having a past with 2nd gen supras and 1st-3rd gen cressida's. how easy is it to find parts for heat/ac, weather stripping, trim, body panels, etc. literally had to drive down to north carolina to cut out rear quarter panels for a 1st gen cressida due to the "store" being in a rural area with no shipping option.

do it if you want a fun toy. alot of suspension options, cd009/z31 5 speed trans options, countless adapter plates for swaps, etc.

here is my word of caution with having a past with 2nd gen supras and 1st-3rd gen cressida's. how easy is it to find parts for heat/ac, weather stripping, trim, body panels, etc. literally had to drive down to north carolina to cut out rear quarter panels for a 1st gen cressida due to the "store" being in a rural area with no shipping option.

Suspension options actually seemed limited when I looked. If I got one I think I would eventually go RB20 (how it came from the factory in Japan). Any idea if this is easier on earlier or later years of the Z31?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I honestly haven't gone down the RB worm hole. another hurdle you may face is the cost of abused old transmissions. w58's from 2nd gen supra's are what r154's use to go for a few years back which is utter silly tbh.

a straight forward route would be cd009, stock vq35 from 2nd gen g35's for better head flow, variable timing cam lock delete, turbo, aftermarket ecu, and let er rip. forget affordable 2jz and even with solstice trans now. solstice trans were 800-900 as of last week and then add in the cost of bellhousing, flywheel, etc.

did a quick search and the z31 suspension can use s13/maybe 14 suspension bits with random parts from other nissan models here and there. another research route can look into the infiniti m30/j30 suspension swap parts list. pretty much just searched z31 suspension swap. there also maybe some more options with z32 suspension bits.

the nissan, toyota, mazda suspension swap parts have a alot of options. also i think the z31 can use the j30 rear diff which is considered the big dog for rwd bolt in irs parts for nissans and front sub frame swaps to get several japanese engine options. just depends on how much you want to tear into the car honestly.

many of the 2nd gen supra folks i talk to here and there always say to spend money upfront for a car in better condition upfront and worry about the rest later.

I honestly haven't gone down the RB worm hole. another hurdle you may face is the cost of abused old transmissions. w58's from 2nd gen supra's are what r154's use to go for a few years back which is utter silly tbh.

a straight forward route would be cd009, stock vq35 from 2nd gen g35's for better head flow, variable timing cam lock delete, turbo, aftermarket ecu, and let er rip. forget affordable 2jz and even with solstice trans now. solstice trans were 800-900 as of last week and then add in the cost of bellhousing, flywheel, etc.

did a quick search and the z31 suspension can use s13/maybe 14 suspension bits with random parts from other nissan models here and there. another research route can look into the infiniti m30/j30 suspension swap parts list. pretty much just searched z31 suspension swap. there also maybe some more options with z32 suspension bits.

the nissan, toyota, mazda suspension swap parts have a alot of options. also i think the z31 can use the j30 rear diff which is considered the big dog for rwd bolt in irs parts for nissans and front sub frame swaps to get several japanese engine options. just depends on how much you want to tear into the car honestly.

many of the 2nd gen supra folks i talk to here and there always say to spend money upfront for a car in better condition upfront and worry about the rest later.

I've seen some people putting S13/14 rear subframes in Z31's, but it takes some fabrication. It looks like at one time there was a kit available, but not anymore (from what I've been able to find).

who knows now given alot of import fab companies have bit the dust. would be less than a few hundred bucks, but could always order a s13/s14 and z31 front subframe to see 1st hand how the holes line up. just really depends what engine you want to go with.

the rb20 would be for sure something unique and flat out sexy. good luck with the car hunt.

Edited by 10phone2

• 4 weeks later...
Awesome! :cool:

Details?

1993 Sapphire Blue Twin Turbo with T-Tops. Needs to be completely repainted, it has some small dents, but nothing major. Appears to be 98% rust free. There are a few small spots, but only appear to be on the surface, again hopefully nothing major but will need to tear into more to find out. It has the JDM front bumper and JDM tails. Does not run, need to pull the engine. All leather on the interior needs to be replaced. Everything else appears to be stock, except for some 2-piece rotors on the front.

Is that a factory color? It looks really good.
Yeah, it's a factory color from 1992-1996. There were 2154 cars this color (2.42% of production). No idea how many of those were turbos. It's might sound like a rare color, but there are 13 other colors made that are more rare than this.

I dig it. Love that color too. If you repaint it do you plan on changing the color?
I had planned to keep it this color...we'll see if I change my mind.
What are the the engines like in those? I always liked these cars but dont know anything about them.
It's not a 2JZ, but they can make decent power, probably around 600-700ish when built. There are guys that go up to 1000 HP, but you're spending a hell of a lot more and running on borrowed time. Pretty much everything for this car costs an arm and a leg, and a lot of service requires the engine to be pulled.

Since I have to take it out anyway, I want to replace everything possible to keep it reliable. Once it goes back in I don't want to take it back out.