2015 Jeep JK rear diff replacement…

timmy43016

I am diving into replacing the chipped spider gears on a 2015 2dr with a Dana 44 LSD with roughly 50k on the existing assembly (dealer replaced back in 18 for same issue). I am going to change the entire assembly out instead of just the spider gears themselves. This also replaces the aging clutch plates anyway.

This is the first time doing this so I am looking for pointers and gotchas. I bought an entire new assembly from Jeep and the dealer did not add extra shims. Do I need extra or will the stock shims suffice? How hard is getting the gear back on at 135 ftp torque while holding the unit (advice??). I am not finding much online either in terms of a write up or a good video (shitty Google fu perhaps). If anyone knows of a good one please let me know. All I have been finding are discussions about upgrading to lockers and bigger gear sets. Sure I would love to do it, but 500 for replacement and bruised knuckles or 4K after gears/lockers/labor (on a Dana 30 no less…). Replacement sounds easier.

I am diving into this with:

Gear marking compound

Oil/gasket

Press for the bearings into the diff assembly

Magnetic base dial for backlash

Dial gauge to measure

Am I missing anything??

I dont know how much work it is to pull the rear axle but anytime I mess with the gears on my C10 I just pull the rear axle out onto the floor. Makes it way easier to work on and you can use the ground as leverage to hold your pinion flange so you can get the torque you need. Kind of hard to explain but it just makes the job a lot easier imo.

I dunno if that setup uses a crush sleeve on the pinion but you'll want a spare set of bearings unless your gonna press and unpress the bearing each time to set your lash.

I hate setting up rear ends!

• 2 weeks later...