Learn me about the Mossberg 500

TimTaylor751647545500

My stepdad just gifted me a 12 gauge Mossberg 500a. Slowly finding time to read up and watch some videos on it and was pleasantly pleased to learn its referred to as one of the 50 best guns. Hoping to find a place to shoot once the move to SC is completed, so in the meantime, I'm hoping to learn a bit more about it. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge or experience with this model?

Thanks fellas.

Scattergun goes boom.

Great shotgun. Enjoy it not much else to it.

As Steve said its basically Mossberg 500 vs Rem 870 as far as the "standard" for Pump action shotguns. Can't go wrong with either. Hell I'm so cheap I got a Mossberg 500 "clone" just cause I don't really shoot pump action shotguns much. But year its so popular there are clones out there that are nearly just as popular and reliable haha.

I got a 590A, had it for years. If there are any specific questions I can try to answer but as has been said it’s been a long standing debate of Remington vs Mossberg as long as I can recall. The maverick 88 isn’t a bad cheapie either as I grabbed one of those for a song waiting for a deal on my mossberg.

As Steve said its basically Mossberg 500 vs Rem 870 as far as the "standard" for Pump action shotguns. Can't go wrong with either. Hell I'm so cheap I got a Mossberg 500 "clone"...

Maverick 88?

Great shotguns. I've had a Moss 500, Rem 870, and Mav 88. None failed me. I'd recommend any of them to anyone. The Mav 88 was cheaper but ya can't beat free.

I'd take a free Moss 500 every day of the week. Great score. Enjoy it. It won't let ya down.

I’ve got a .410 home-defense shotgun.

it’s been a long standing debate of Remington vs Mossberg

870 > 500 every day of the week! But, I'd rock a 500 for free! :D

The very first firearm I purchased was a Maverick 88. The thing was a jam-o-matic. Other's mileage may vary.

KillJoy

PS - .410 :lolguy:

Maverick 88?

Great shotguns. I've had a Moss 500, Rem 870, and Mav 88. None failed me. I'd recommend any of them to anyone. The Mav 88 was cheaper but ya can't beat free.

I'd take a free Moss 500 every day of the week. Great score. Enjoy it. It won't let ya down.

Yes Mav88 to many beers the other night couldn't think of the Damn name haha. :dumb:

870 > 500 every day of the week! But, I'd rock a 500 for free! :D

The very first firearm I purchased was a Maverick 88. The thing was a jam-o-matic. Other's mileage may vary.

KillJoy

PS - .410 :lolguy:

My Maverick 88 has been as reliable as my 590A. I got my 590 and Mav88 both for less than the average price of an 870. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nothing wrong with a free Moss 500. Mine fired every time.

Why I got rid of the one I had:

- Preference of safety location on Remington's.

- Everything felt like it was assembled loose and it made my OCD act up.

- Every option of the Remington platforms for shotguns worked better for me and how I use a shotgun.