Machine/metal fab shop?

evan9381

Can anyone recommend a machine shop that has the ability to stamp out metal parts? Long story short, I have a product I've been buying, refurbishing, and reselling. The product is no longer produced by the original manufacturer (they have moved on to a newer product). I'm basically interested in trying to produce an aftermarket product that works with the discontinued system as some variations (there are about 150 but I only want to recreate the most popular 10-15) are still a hot seller. More or less, it's a wide L bracket, but each one has some variation to it. Height, angle of L bend, etc.

I'm also currently reaching out to a patent attorney to make sure I'm covering my ass and not stepping on any toes, as I've never done something like this.

Thanks in advance

If it’s low volume, can’t you get a hydraulic press and make them yourself? I can’t see any shop wanting to do the tooling work for something that you didn’t design.

Honestly would have no idea how to do any of that, hence why I wanted to see what kind of cost a machine shop would charge. If I could get them made for a reasonable enough price, it'd make sense. If it's gonna cost close to or above what I resell them for, then I guess I'll just continue looking for people selling them for cheap and fixing up old junk ones.

From my very limited experience, you need a Tool and Die maker to make you a die press mold to do the pressing. You could try contacting the company that makes the old one and see if they will sell you their dies (unlikely but you never know). Once you have the die press mold, it really doesn't matter who makes the press, you or a stamping company. If you need a thousand + units a stamping company may be the best bet. If you are only making a couple per week, then it might pay to get a press from harbor freight and do it yourself.

Try reaching out to Superior Die Tool and Machine, or B&G Tool.

If it’s just a flat piece of steel that needs to be bent/broke into and angle it would probably be pretty cheap per piece. If it needs to have ribs stamped into it or something that takes special tooled stamps not so cheap. If the part you have has been stamped could you just make it out of thicker material that doesn’t need it to keep costs down.