Anyone know a shop that sprays 2k catalyzed lacquer?

Robert Aaron Parsons

Hey all!

I am hoping to have some speakers turned into a piano finish over wood veneer. The now defunct company used to offer this as an option but finding piano gloss versions of their speakers are impossible after ten years out of business.

I have dug around audio forums and the general consensus is it is some type of automotive 2k catalyzed lacquer.

The speakers I have are satin wood veneer and are perfectly smooth. Consensus is I could remove drivers/tweeters and have them sprayed/buffed/polished.

Anyone know any good shops that might take on something like this?

Aaron (Pavo)

2K catalyzed lacquer is just lacquer that dries by evaporation. You want 2K Polyurethane. Any body shop should be able to shoot 2K poly clear since it's just automotive clear coat.

That said most body shops would want to do the full prep: Primer, Black, 2K clear so that they know the stuff they sprayed is compatible.

I would talk to some of the small guitar shops around town, since that's how an electric guitar is finished. Start with Music Go round at Carriage place and The Guitar Repair Co. on Indianola ave and ask them who repaints guitars.