Is the R6 really that different than the GSXR 600?

FocusDave01

I dont want this to turn into a R6 vs GSXR thread at all I like both bikes I was just shocked at his response after riding my bike... My buddy came down to visit he used to have a GSXR 600 (07) So of course I wanted to return the favor of him letting me put around on his bike last summer. I let him take the R6 for a spin.. He wasnt satisfied at all..and I know the bikes are nothing alike but he was shocked how different they where.. said there was no low end power what so ever..bike was the most uncomfortable thing he has ever been on...granted he didnt go but over 50ish mph but he made it a point to get the that point as fast as he can...I remember riding his bike and yes the low end was better but he made it seem like my bike is crap compared to his old GSXR which maybe it is i have really only ridden for longer periods of time a GSXR, R6 and my old Secca II...Im just so used to my bike and it seems fine but makes me want to ride other bikes lol...i knew the R6 was slow low end but man...

I dont want this to turn into a R6 vs GSXR thread at all I like both bikes I was just shocked at his response after riding my bike... My buddy came down to visit he used to have a GSXR 600 (07) So of course I wanted to return the favor of him letting me put around on his bike last summer. I let him take the R6 for a spin.. He wasnt satisfied at all..and I know the bikes are nothing alike but he was shocked how different they where.. said there was no low end power what so ever..bike was the most uncomfortable thing he has ever been on...granted he didnt go but over 50ish mph but he made it a point to get the that point as fast as he can...I remember riding his bike and yes the low end was better but he made it seem like my bike is crap compared to his old GSXR which maybe it is i have really only ridden for longer periods of time a GSXR, R6 and my old Secca II...Im just so used to my bike and it seems fine but makes me want to ride other bikes lol...i knew the R6 was slow low end but man...

If he only took it to 50 he didn't even get out of 1st gear. :rolleyes:

They are different bikes in power delivery but I think that's about it. Ergos, suspension, etc. is so close that you'd never notice unless on a track. I think we just have another case of a Gixxer owner with an inflated ego. :p

The r6 is a top end monster and the most recent gen is all track focus. So they traded powerband and overrev for torque. Did you read any of the supersport shootouts about the r6? You're describing all the things that kept it near the bottom of the pack in the comparos.

Edit: here's an example

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/631/Motorcycle-Article/2006-Supersport-Shootout-IV-Street-Conclusion.aspx

Edited by V4junkie

The r6 is a top end monster and the most recent gen is all track focus. So they traded powerband and overrev for torque. Did you read any of the supersport shootouts about the r6? You're describing all the things that kept it near the bottom of the pack in the comparos.

Edit: here's an example

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/631/Motorcycle-Article/2006-Supersport-Shootout-IV-Street-Conclusion.aspx

yeah thats a good article...i see your point about it being more track focused ive read many articles about it..i was just kinda expecting a smile from his face when he got done riding it instead head shakes..how uncomfortable it is and how sluggish it is...said i should loosen the suspension in the rear...i dont know i like it the way it is..even his buddy who never rode before but has "sat" on bikes got on it and said love the looks but i would never own one...it hurt my R6's feelings...

In all fairness, how skilled of a rider is your friend? Most likely he never revved the bike out, took a corner beyond moped-like speeds, or did anything to "test" the bike.

That being said I wouldn't buy the current R6. Different strokes.

P.S. you made a HUGE mistake asking a GSXR owner his opinion. I hope you learned your lesson.

In all fairness, how skilled of a rider is your friend? Most likely he never revved the bike out, took a corner beyond moped-like speeds, or did anything to "test" the bike.

That being said I wouldn't buy the current R6. Different strokes.

P.S. you made a HUGE mistake asking a GSXR owner his opinion. I hope you learned your lesson.

...lesson learned he isnt a newb rider but he also isnt an expert...

08 R6 owner here ... ride it like you stole it and the bike almost drives itself. Harshness goes away, feels pliable and set while on the gas through anything.

Smoothness counts and knowing what you are doing makes it all safe. The R6 does turn away alot of riders expecting performance.

Life begins at 10,000 ...

08 R6 owner here ... ride it like you stole it and the bike almost drives itself. Harshness goes away, feels pliable and set while on the gas through anything.

Smoothness counts and knowing what you are doing makes it all safe. The R6 does turn away alot of riders expecting performance.

starting life late?

I think the hyperdrive on the XX kicks in at 6,000 (second set of injectors kick in)

this is true especially in 08's i read an article that the 08 R6 motor is even better than it was in 06 and 07 they implimented something from the R1's or something actually it was a youtube video review i watched..

Indeed, that is some good research. They did something, now it is better. I think you should write these articles.

:lol:

then they did something else, and it was worse, but they told everyone it was better, they were called on it, and tried to put it back to the way it used to be, but that didn't help, currently they are considering another thing, unaware of whether it will make it better or not.

to get the most out of any bike you have to ride it for awhile and get a feel for where the power is at and what gear to be in/when to shift etc. I jump from my trump to my buddies 600rr and its insane how different it is. But both are fast you just gotta know how to run them.

The gixxer makes for a better street bike thats for sure! I am a die hard GSXR person,but like i told you i will deff own a r6 one day. You cant ride an r6 gently! You have to beat the crap out of it to get to its power band. The R6 is deff meant for track riding and thats what it was mainly designed to do. The GSXR is also for the track,but it is allot eiser to ride on the street due to the way the power is made. I have a feeling if i got on the r6 at the track i would deff beat my times that i can get on the GSXR600. Let me show your friend what an r6 can do lol.