tips from a detailer

Hoblick

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hoblick- im gonna purchase the porter cable 7424xp variable speed buffer. is this the same one you are using? if so whats the pros n cons.

yup same one. id suggest a hook and loop backing plate and some good pads. you can get some good combo deals on autogeek.net

this is a great starter setup

http://autogeek.net/hk7424.html

yup same one. id suggest a hook and loop backing plate and some good pads. you can get some good combo deals on autogeek.net

this is a great starter setup

http://autogeek.net/hk7424.html

what pads from that list to you think. i was thinking a red gold 2orange and a gray? thats the exact setup im going to order. maybe also meguires 105? and 205? also gonna order a paint sealant as well. whats your choices. dont wanna get to crazy on the wallet just yet.

I just dropped nearly 2 bills getting everything I need to detail my new cage.

Im a huge of Zaino products. But decided to go with Meguiar's clay kit since it was readily accessible and cheaper.

What do you use to dress outside vinyls/plastics like the seals around windows?

I just dropped nearly 2 bills getting everything I need to detail my new cage.

Im a huge of Zaino products. But decided to go with Meguiar's clay kit since it was readily accessible and cheaper.

What do you use to dress outside vinyls/plastics like the seals around windows?

i use wizards black renew polish. awesome shit

dont know if i had put this up here or not, but i will.

this was from the middle of the summer

a member form columbus racing contacted me about getting his 95 Cobra detailed. we talked over some options and he explained it has been sitting for a few years in storage, and its faded, oxidized, lots of swirls etc..

i had my vision of what it would look like but to my surprise it was alot worse than expected.

as you can see in the following pics the car is almost grey in color, though it should be black. tons of swirls, very harsh scratches, looks like someone took a brillo pad to it.

also after further inspection i saw the car had some panels that were repainted. and someone didnt do the greatest job on the right door.

i had alot of work ahead of me, and some stuff i just couldnt correct.

DSC_0127-1.jpg

DSC_0126-2.jpg

DSC_0125-1.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0129-2.jpg

DSC_0132-1.jpg

DSC_0133-2.jpg

DSC_0135-2.jpg

DSC_0138-1.jpg

DSC_0139-1.jpg

i had alot of work into this car, about 20 hours total. inside and out.

i wet sanded and then used my rotary and wool pad with some 3m perfectit III on the right door to get out the orange peel, it was just to bad for me to let it go.

the rest of the car (and the right door after used the rotary) i used the porter cable with a Orange CCS pad with some Megs 105.. i had to make a few passes on each panel i did. i still only achieved about a 80% correction rate when i was finished. i didnt want to work any further to help preserve the paint.

after that i used a white CCS pad and some Poorboy's World Professional Polish, this finished out very fine, and brought a nice gloss to the paint. i was very pleased with the outcome, even though i still didnt have full correction the paint was looking alot better than it did. I let Ice know how things were going and problems i ran into.

setting up the final stage, i wanted to try and see if some glaze would help the car out at all... i tested it on a small bit and decided to not use the glaze.

every car i tend to use a littlel different product for the wax/sealant, but for some reason with black the Meguairs NXT works really well, especially for somethign you can snag at autozone.

i started with a single coat Megs #7, and then layed 2 coats of Megs NXT down.

i then topped it with Optimum optiseal

the wheels where sealed with Optiseal as well.

sorry i dont have a ton of in the process pics, but time constraints and just not wanting to stop for a minute to take a pic caused me to not have any.

but anyways here are some after shots

DSC_0149-1.jpg

DSC_0150-2.jpg

DSC_0151-1.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0160-1.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0165-1.jpg