Looking at an Air Compressor

bdruggan10r

I have a 60gal husky and a 5gal pancake husky. I use the pancake 95% of the time. Compact, easy to move, and drives most tools without issue. Keep in mind that cheap air tools (read as crap from harborfreight) require higher flow rates as they are not efficient. You may pay more for a quality tool, but you will be happy with the performance and longevity. The pancake drives the impact wrench when I work on the bike w/o issue as well.

For sanding and most painting I use the 60gal.

DO NOT buy a harbor freight air compressor. for one it's a cheap assed china junker and it isn't priced much cheaper than a name brand compressor.

ingersoll rand makes most of the name brand compressors on the market. such as craftsman etc from what I was told.

stick with a name brand compressor if you want it for a long time.

I bought a cheap harbor freight one for using on the job for my nail guns etc, trust me it's not a heavy duty, well made, good parts compressor.

so far I've had to fix a bunch of parts on it. the regulator knob broke off, the drain cock broke off, the fan shroud broke off, the air filter broke off. the fan itself has a missing blade, it's just a total POS.

when buying a compressor you need to look at it's SCFM ratings. not what pressure it goes to. they all go to 130 or so psi and shut off.

it's how much air it can supply while it's running.

the best compressors are the oil filled kind. the oiless kind just don't have much scfm to them. usually around 5-6 scfm whereas a oil filled kind is around 11-15 scfm

you will need at least a 20-30 gallon tank to effectively run a impact, paint gun, especially a grinder or cut off tool.

Edited by serpentracer